· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by SueD View Post
    It's a lesson in patience and planning. We've all come up short at one time or another, but we learn and it gets easier.
    Thanks, will have to keep it mind... as I may have to move this tank yet again; not liking its new location too much, the troubles of living in a small house: limited locations to put a fish tank : )

Other than the tank location, we are enjoying the new fish. They glow a lot under direct sun light (more than under blue LEDs), but we've moved the tank away from direct sun. Under room lighting @ 3500K, they don't glow much. This makes me think day-light LEDs might actually work best for these fish.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Avoid direct on the tank sunlight at all times, or that nice glow look will soon be taken over by nothing but dull green (algae)
    Last edited by Slaphppy7; 01-12-2019 at 09:58 PM.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by gold View Post
    We've got the glofish swimming around the 20g tank, BUT the tank isn't in the right place... so I'll have to empty it and move it this weekend. One of them has fin rot (only saw it after adding him to the tank, didn't pay attention at the store), but I think he'll recover.
    It's been nearly a month, and the fin rot is still there.

finrot.png

Is it normal for fin rot to last this long?
    Thanks.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    Looks more like tearing than rot, to me anyway

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Thanks. Appreciate the comment; I'm pretty new at this hobby.

I've looked up "torn fin" online; and I'm wondering, shouldn't the fin heal already (it's been almost a month)?

Based on my research, there's not much to do about fin tears.
    Any suggestions?

The tank is 20gal long and has 3 glofish tetras and 6 glofish danios. 2 ornaments and plastic plants, but I've never the tetras never swim inside/thru them.

There are some minor chasing between the tetras. There are a lot of chasing between the 6 danios, but they ignore these tetras (and the tetras ignore the danios).

This fish, besides its torn fin, acts normal and swims as well as the other tetras. It came from the store this way; while the other 2 tetras have good fins.

I'm wondering, after thinking more, maybe it is something genetic?

Perhaps I'm just paying too much attention to the fish and noticing unimportant details.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

3 Not allowed!
    Thanks. Appreciate the comment; I'm pretty new at this hobby.

I've looked up "torn fin" online; and I'm wondering, shouldn't the fin heal already (it's been almost a month)?

Based on my research, there's not much to do about fin tears.
    Any suggestions?
    You're more than welcome...if the fin of a fish is indeed "torn", I feel the best course of action is to provide clean, fresh water as often as possible, maybe 2 water changes instead of one per week, and maybe ones larger than usual...if the fish is healthy and acts/eats well, and there's no apparent fungal growth on the damaged area, it will usually heal with time...generally speaking, depending on the fish, tank conditions, etc

The tank is 20gal long and has 3 glofish tetras and 6 glofish danios. 2 ornaments and plastic plants, but I've never the tetras never swim inside/thru them.

There are some minor chasing between the tetras. There are a lot of chasing between the 6 danios, but they ignore these tetras (and the tetras ignore the danios).
    Tetras require groups, they're social fish, and that's probably why you see some chasing with them...you may have one female, and two males fighting over her attention...or 3 males trying to decide which one becomes the "alpha"...bottom line, if you have adequate filtration for the tank, I'd add at least 3 more tetras (these are Long Fin tetras, Gymnocorymbus), if they are readily available...maybe even 4 more...this will disperse any aggression between the larger group, and they will act more naturally, and "feel" more comfortable in the tank...and depending on filtration, if it were my tank, I'd add more danios, too

This fish, besides its torn fin, acts normal and swims as well as the other tetras. It came from the store this way; while the other 2 tetras have good fins.

I'm wondering, after thinking more, maybe it is something genetic?

Perhaps I'm just paying too much attention to the fish and noticing unimportant details.
    Maybe it's genetic, maybe it's congenital, but if it gets no worse, I wouldn't worry about it, as long as the fish behaves as well as the rest, and isn't picked on...since it's been that way from the shop, should be just fine, I would think

See above
    Last edited by Slaphppy7; 02-15-2019 at 01:37 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - AmazonJoe   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - AmazonJoe   

3 Not allowed!
    So I'll first say I have a bit of first hand experience with glofish I worked for about a year or so on their R and D facility :)

The fins don't look bad at all and thats a nice shot to by the way lol the long fin variety are weak genetically just because in order to develop those long fins they had to be line bred for several generations however with that said normal issues would be developmental factors like deformations which would be very obvious. From the picture the fish is in good health nice belly and color the reason of the broken fins is likely from fin nips tetras actually have a natural forage strategy in the wild to eat the fins of others and not only that but they also establish hierarchy system in which the males constantly either battle each other for dominance or court the females all of which involves chasing and fin nips lol

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Thanks for your responses.

I'll think about adding more fish.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For luck with your son's recovery - Slaphppy7   Healing prayers for Henry - RiversGirl   DIY water chnager, nice job! - Slaphppy7   My heart goes out to you and your little boy.  He is so strong and so are you. - angelcraze2   Healing prayers for little Henry (superman) - Silbar   
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   

2 Not allowed!
    Thanks, will have to keep it mind... as I may have to move this tank yet again; not liking its new location too much, the troubles of living in a small house: limited locations to put a fish tank : )

Other than the tank location, we are enjoying the new fish. They glow a lot under direct sun light (more than under blue LEDs), but we've moved the tank away from direct sun. Under room lighting @ 3500K, they don't glow much. This makes me think day-light LEDs might actually work best for these fish.
    Just curious as to what blue lights you ended up with and what their location in/over your tank is. We have a couple of glo fish danios mixed in with our standard zebra danios(my boys enjoy the glo fish also ). At any rate I’ve found the quantity and placement of the blue light to be very important. We have 2 small glo fish brand led lights in our 38 gallon tank(2 lights were supposed to be sufficient up to 55 gallons. And they were ok shining down from top but unless the fish swam right under the light they didn’t show up much. Moved them to the sides of the tank the other day and added a fulval sky led strip on top and when I have it on blue light also wow do they ever show up now! Doesn’t matter where they are in the tank anymore either.
    ~Pray for Henry~

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mspringer View Post
    Just curious as to what blue lights you ended up with and what their location in/over your tank is. We have a couple of glo fish danios mixed in with our standard zebra danios(my boys enjoy the glo fish also ). At any rate I’ve found the quantity and placement of the blue light to be very important. We have 2 small glo fish brand led lights in our 38 gallon tank(2 lights were supposed to be sufficient up to 55 gallons. And they were ok shining down from top but unless the fish swam right under the light they didn’t show up much. Moved them to the sides of the tank the other day and added a fulval sky led strip on top and when I have it on blue light also wow do they ever show up now! Doesn’t matter where they are in the tank anymore either.

We have a 12" blue LED light strip that's suction-cupped to the glass cover, so it shines directly down on the fish. The tank is 20g long, so the light covers about 1/2 of the tank. Perhaps I'll move it around based on your suggestion; thanks.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast