· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eco complete

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

Default Eco complete

0 Not allowed!
    I've been trying to research if Eco complete it's an over-priced scam, or if there's anything to it. I've read claims that it does not have a high CEC, being just a bit higher than play sand, but I've also read that it is actually just basalt igneous rock. But is basalt useless?

In my searches, I came across this article
    https://www.maximumyield.com/the-slo...-basalt/2/1207

A good article for anyone interested in rock, lol, because I always was. It makes me want to spread crushed basalt on my lawn. So does that mean it continues to deliver minerals until it breaks down, which is a long time, longer than any of us will have our tanks to find out? Or do the nutrients run out and due to its poor cation exchage, needs to be replaced eventually? And if so, how long does it provide nutrients?

I'm slowly replacing black gravel with Eco Complete in my 120g at the foreground, but haven't really noticed if the dwarf sag is growing better or not.
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 01-02-2019 at 01:36 AM.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for Sharing Your fish! - discusluv   

1 Not allowed!
    I have eco complete, black diamond blasting sand, and one that is dirt with a black diamond cap. I would not spend the money again personally.

My fitted tank is far and away the most stable of all

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome back! - Slaphppy7   Celebrating your amazing restoration work! - showmebutterfly   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    That article seems to be talking about finely crushed basalt. I bet that it can break down quicker in that state compared to the pebble sized rocks that Eco complete is made of.
    "They had learned to speak, and so had won their first great victory over Time. Now the knowledge of one generation could be handed on to the next, so that each age could profit from those that had gone before." 2001: A Space Odyssey
    Arthur C. Clark

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah but do they have to be dissolved to add minerals for plants? I think i'm just wishing so I don't have to revamp my tank. If I could get to redoing the tank i'm talking about, I'd dirt it like the rest of my tanks.

Agree, dirted is by far the most stable and overall healthiest of my tanks!
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 01-03-2019 at 03:24 AM.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Healing vibes.  Read and rest your fingers! - RiversGirl   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holidays to all of you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! (USA) - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Personally I have never used the eco complete before.

Jbl substrate mix and fluorite mix.
    Both broke down really fast for me.
    And honestly I have had better response using garden soil and clay Vs the purchased stuff.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah i'm seriously considering revamping my tank now. I'm thinking about building a sump behind the tank, and growing my emersed plants from there and maybe even an algae scrubber, but I believe I'll never have a nitrate issue after I dirt the tank. If adding dirt in containers is enough, I might go that route so I don't need to move all the inhabitants, but if i'm going to redo it, now it's the time while the stocking is lower (less fish anyway). Moving a bunch of tetras after I restock will be a PITA. I could even put real frosting on the back instead of plastic bags.

Sorry this went off topic, but I think it's already been decided that it is a waste of money.

Anyone use safe T sorb?
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome back! - Slaphppy7   Celebrating your amazing restoration work! - showmebutterfly   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by angelcraze2 View Post
    Yeah i'm seriously considering revamping my tank now. I'm thinking about building a sump behind the tank, and growing my emersed plants from there and maybe even an algae scrubber, but I believe I'll never have a nitrate issue after I dirt the tank. If adding dirt in containers is enough, I might go that route so I don't need to move all the inhabitants, but if i'm going to redo it, now it's the time while the stocking is lower (less fish anyway). Moving a bunch of tetras after I restock will be a PITA. I could even put real frosting on the back instead of plastic bags.

Sorry this went off topic, but I think it's already been decided that it is a waste of money.

Anyone use safe T sorb?
    If you dirt the tank will you do it all at once? If you do the container method how do you keep it from mucking up your water when you initially add it?
    "They had learned to speak, and so had won their first great victory over Time. Now the knowledge of one generation could be handed on to the next, so that each age could profit from those that had gone before." 2001: A Space Odyssey
    Arthur C. Clark

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nautilus291 View Post
    If you dirt the tank will you do it all at once? If you do the container method how do you keep it from mucking up your water when you initially add it?
    Hmmm, probably not at once if I do the container method. I already added all the dirt pots in there while the tank was still going (without removing occupants). All the swords are planted in dirt pots. What I did was add the dirt to the pot outside the tank, moisten the soil with tank water, plant the sword, cap the dirt with sand. Slowly lower planted pot into the tank and position. The sand holds the dirt down. It makes it easy to siphon around the plants and easier to move later if you want to.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Ok, so i'm changing the subject to Safe T sorb or Turface. I still have to find out if it's available, but has anyone ever used a material like this as a substrate? It's inert, but has a high CEC because it's fired at such high temperatures as far as I understand.
    -Kat

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for Sharing Your fish! - discusluv   

0 Not allowed!
    I used special kitty cat litter because I thought it was very similar type of clay. I would not do that again