· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congratulations on your award - Celtic Fins   Here is yours! lol - Northernguy   Its appreciated! - Northernguy   I hope it's still cold. Cheers - Strider199   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   

Default Stressing out over stocking my kids 55gal

0 Not allowed!
    Ok lets start by clearing the air. We all know i cant let the kids into the pet store and say "ok kids which fish do u want" so im looking to narrow down the options to pick from. I also wanted to try cichlids, however the more research i do the more im thinking its impossible for me to have a few diffrent cichlids in a 55gal. With a small tank i want to limit the biggest fish to 5 or 6in. And I know the kids want alot of colorful fish. So i was thinking mbuna or considering dwarf chiclids. But i keep doing my research and pulling my hair out. It seems like all of them need something else diffrent ph, temp, food, hardness, some like this and others like that powerheads? Salt?

I stated a fishless cycle Christmas eve so i got about 2 weeks to pull my head out my rear and im hoping u guys can help. So far im at about 7.6 or possibly higher i will test high range tonight. But am i going crazy, are cichlids really that much harder than a comunity tank.

What do u guys and girls think i should do for this 55gal.

Btw signature is old ill be updating soon.
    Last edited by rookie; 12-27-2018 at 09:33 PM.
    Currently
    55gal
    23 Mbuna

Decommissioned
    10 gallon FOWLR Cycling
    http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=82475

110 gallon planted
    http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=50266

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Cichlids are unpredictable, I kept rams and a firemouth and convicts and pictus catfish in my 55gal and they all got along but it doesn't always happen. I would stick with community fish but dwarf cichlids will work, you can also get a strong powerhead to keep a good flow in the tank so the cichlids spend more time swimming in the current rather than fighting each other and you could also lower the temperature a little bit to reduce aggression. electric blue rams have a beautiful blue color and stay small. I don't know much about African cichlids but I think mbunas are aggressive.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    For a kid's tank, there's MANY options available that don't include cichlids at all

And with a tank that size, you could get a handful of schools of small, peaceful, community fish that are easy to take care of and more than enjoyable, for the whole family

Once you get the "kid's" tank cycled, fish researched, and nice and stable for a while, then it's time for your tank build, and enjoy all of the cichlids you may, in maybe ven a bigger tank

Bottom line, IMO, no cichlids for a new/kid tank, just my opinion

Do a web search for easy-to-keep, beginner freshwater tropical fish, let the kids have a look at some pics and videos
    Last edited by Slaphppy7; 12-28-2018 at 12:58 AM.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congratulations on your award - Celtic Fins   Here is yours! lol - Northernguy   Its appreciated! - Northernguy   I hope it's still cold. Cheers - Strider199   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   

1 Not allowed!
    Im sorry i probable should have been more specific. My kids are 19,15,11 and 3. This is mainly for the 19 and 11 year old boys who are going to find more agressive fish more facinating. You may got me with the KIDS tank because im going to be the one doing everything and they will probably loose interest quick no matter what fish. So i wanted to try and stick with the cichlids is possible. My old 110 gallon was a fresh water community tank and i didnt keep my journal up to date but that turned out to be really nice until i lost it in hurricane sandy (2012) but i feel the boys would like the color and aggression of the cichlids.
    Currently
    55gal
    23 Mbuna

Decommissioned
    10 gallon FOWLR Cycling
    http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=82475

110 gallon planted
    http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=50266

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    Understood.
    @Rocksor and others, have a look at this thread, please
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's a betta for you. - Slaphppy7   For your oscar heimlich rescue :) - BluewaterBoof   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    I am a bit partial when it comes to cichlids to Julies and some of the small shell dwellers from Africa. it may make an interesting display with a couple of groups of Julies and lelupi or Brichardi. there are certainly many options for a 55.
    Brian

I wish I had a Fish Wish Dish.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

2 Not allowed!
    do not overstock until your kids get a handle on water changes, and keeping nitrates below 20ppm through water changes.

You are not stuck with african cichlids. Central American cichlids would do fine since they come from hard and high ph water (high PH doesn't mean you have hard water).

You could do something simple like one male convict or one male firemouth as the focal point of the tank. Then add mollies, guppies, or swordtails as dither fish. Use pool filter sand or #20 grit silica sand for the substrate.

If they become truly dedicated fishkeepers (and you are not stuck with the tank), then they can look into exodon paradoxus or mini piranhas.