· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on the cycle! - Boundava   For your new tank - Boundava   Great advice about LEDs! - angelcraze2   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   "An apple a day keeps the doctor away." Best of health to you, from now on. - mermaidwannabe   

Default Back from near death experience...

2 Not allowed!
    Well, it has been a while since I've been active on any forums, especially aquarium related forums.

Early in the year (Jan 28th to be exact), I was admitted to the hospital with severe chest pains. Long story short, I had pneumonia. Really bad pneumonia as a result of having had really bad FLU. On Jan 29th it was determined that my pneumonia was actually MRSSA Pneumonia and the decision was made to sedate me because the pain was so severe. On Feb 1st the MRSSA showed up in my blood and I literally started fighting for my life.

The MRSSA attacked pretty much every organ in my body and I wound up comatose for three and a half weeks and on February 27th, I was finally declared free of MRSSA and they began to reduce the sedation drugs. I was pretty much still unaware of anything for another week, and I remained in the hospital for nearly three months.

Of course, all of this was totally and completely unexpected. I was otherwise healthy, but a bout with the FLU lead to pneumonia, which went septic and within 5 days I went from healthy to my family not knowing if I would wake up the next day. The point is, medical emergencies can happen to any of us at any time with absolutely no warning.

I share this because there is a lesson for my fellow hobbyists. You see, while I was in the hospital, my family had no idea how to care for my fish. They knew I had nine tanks in my Man Cave, they knew I went there everyday to feed and once a week I would spend a few hours down there, but they didn't know what i was doing. They knew nothing about water changes, checking water parameters, what the different tank's requirements were etc. They knew fish need to eat, but that's about all they knew.

Long story short, while my family didn't know what to do, they did the best they could. However, by the time I was able to discuss what needed to be done, they had been fishing out dead fish almost daily. When I went into the hospital, I had nine tanks with over 120 fish. By the time I came home, I had less than 30 fish, and three of the tanks had suffered complete crashes. Three of the tanks were in such bad shape it was just a matter of time before I lost the fish remaining in those tanks, and two tanks were not healthy, but potentially salvageable. Only one tank seemed to be doing "OK" my large goldfish tank.

I tried, but within two more weeks, I had lost all the fish in six of nine tanks, and I was down to fewer than a dozen fish from well over 10 times that amount three months before. Over the next few months I continued to lose fish. I imagine it was just too much stress and even though I got their water parameters corrected, got them back on a regular feeding schedule of the correct foods, etc. I think it was just too much. I now have my snail tank (with a single raspbora who refuses to give up) and up until last week, one of my large goldfish, but a week ago, he started pine coning and didn't make it to Christmas.

So... Lesson. Teach SOMEONE how to care for you fish in your absence, or at the very least, write detailed instructions.

One of my tanks is built into the wall, and I don't want an empty hole there, so I will start again and keep at least one tank, but take it from me you will be well served to teach someone how to take care of your fish should you suddenly not be able to do so.
    It's my kids fault I am hooked on this hobby... It all started with a Desktop 5 Gallon Father's Day Gift!

My Tank Journals:
    In Wall 55 Gallon - My first "Large" tank...
    135 Gallon Tank
    20L Multi- Betta Tank

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    My goodness, what an ordeal.

I'm terribly sorry to hear about all that you have been through, and my sincerest condolences for all of the fish you lost.

And it may sound cliche, and you've probably already heard this, but the fish can be replaced...YOU cannot.

Just glad that you have made it through this terrible health scare...welcome back, Paul.

I'm going to make a notebook for my family with detailed instructions on how to care for my fish, in case of something just like this happens to me...thanks for the inspiration
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - ApistoJoe   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    So glad to hear you're OK after all of what you suffered through. Last year's flu season was a particularly bad one. A former work colleague of mine passed away last February within days of being diagnosed with the flu. Healthy, 57 yr old father and grandfather.

For those that might have a relationship with a LFS nearby, they might also be a source of assistance caring for someone's tanks. A visit to check on things, instruct others in the family, perform some water changes themselves, or even to find other fishkeepers nearby to help periodically. Established tanks can often go a few weeks without a water change, but a few months can certainly lead to disasters. And family members concerns are certainly focused on the person who is ill.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

3 Not allowed!
    I am also sorry to hear of the ordeal you went through, and glad you are well. Sorry for the loss of your fish and tanks as well. Very good idea to have a backup just in case. Thankfully my enthusiasm has rubbed off on my Sister and I always have a backup at home, and she has one in me.
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by SueD View Post
    Last year's flu season was a particularly bad one. A former work colleague of mine passed away last February within days of being diagnosed with the flu. Healthy, 57 yr old father and grandfather.
    That is some scary stuff...
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   Hope you had a wonderful day. - Taurus   HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

3 Not allowed!
    Oh my goodness, Paul! I'm so glad you are alright now!
    Learn from yesterday
    Live for today
    Hope for tomorrow

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   

4 Not allowed!
    I've thought about this, off and on, ever since I started keeping aquariums. What would my hubby do about my tanks if something happened to me? First, he isn't the least bit interested in them, and secondly, he would be clueless as to how to maintain them.

So, I have to decide. Write out detailed instructions and hope he understands and follows them correctly (maybe yes, maybe no, maybe not quite), or instruct him to sell my fish and tanks altogether if he finds the tasks overwhelming, which he may. In the case of my death, that would probably be the best answer. Maintaining my tanks after I'm gone would be an unfair burden to impose on him, since he would have no desire to carry them on.

On the other hand, should I come back, I would probably be in the same situation you were -- having to start over. Then the question would be, would I feel up to the new challenge and want to continue keeping fish?

We never know when our lives might drastically change. I need to attend to these details while I can.

Glad you made it. You had a really close call. I hope you've now gotten the pneumococal pneumonia vaccine. I have had that, and also the shingles vaccine, as I had chicken pox as a kid.

Several decades ago, I caught the Hong Kong Flu while it was raging through the population. It almost killed me, but I've never contracted any Flu virus since, and I've never had a Flu shot. I credit a strengthened immune system for that. I'm not sure of the wisdom of getting a Flu shot, as I've heard of people contracting the Flu after getting vaccinated against it.

But, I certainly wouldn't discourage anyone else from getting a Flu shot, as some folks are really vulnerable to catching the Flu, and it can be deadly. Those who do get it after the vaccine usually find it much milder and certainly survivable.

Welcome back. Please post pics when you get your tank(s) up and going again. We'd love to see what you'll be having.
    20 gal. high: planted; 5 white cloud minnows, 4 golden White Clouds, several RCS, 2 blue shrimp, 5 Amano shrimp, several snails; Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 6 rosy barbs, 6 yellow glofish, 3 red glofish, 3 zebra danios, 5 white cloud minnows, 3 dojo loaches, 6 crimson spot rainbow fish, 12 large Amano Shrimp, several snails; AC110.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    Well now it's time for a near-life experience, hopefully.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on the cycle! - Boundava   For your new tank - Boundava   Great advice about LEDs! - angelcraze2   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   "An apple a day keeps the doctor away." Best of health to you, from now on. - mermaidwannabe   

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by zimbob View Post
    Well now it's time for a near-life experience, hopefully.
    Trust me, I have not taken life lightly since that experience! I have been living life to the fullest!!

Now I'm just trying to figure out what I want to do with my 55 Gallon in wall tank.
    It's my kids fault I am hooked on this hobby... It all started with a Desktop 5 Gallon Father's Day Gift!

My Tank Journals:
    In Wall 55 Gallon - My first "Large" tank...
    135 Gallon Tank
    20L Multi- Betta Tank

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on 3,000, have an oyster! (?) - Slaphppy7   For giving your daughter a tank, scaping rights included! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to all of you! - Boundava   sorry to hear about your knee. since you dont drink herea a slice - bpete   

2 Not allowed!
    Hi, Paul. Just now read this. Congratulations on your continued existence! Sorry to hear about the fish losses. That must just add insult to injury, coming home to that. Small price to pay for coming home, though. Good to have you back with us.