· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dying jack

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Dying jack

0 Not allowed!
    Can anyone help me? My little Jack Dempsey is dying. He's pale, not eating , running into the glass, and not acting normal. I fear he won't last the night

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Another pic

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Not looking good for little Starlord

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

1 Not allowed!
    Sorry to hear.

His fins are looking pretty raggedy. My knee-jerk reaction is that this is caused by poor water quality. Have you measured your parameters today?

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by BluewaterBoof View Post
    Sorry to hear.

His fins are looking pretty raggedy. My knee-jerk reaction is that this is caused by poor water quality. Have you measured your parameters today?
    Yeah, my water is pretty stable. The tank has been up for a couple years, I do a 50% water change every week. The nitrites and ammonia are always at 0 ppm and the nitrates are mid range in between 20 and 40 ppm

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    All the other fish are perfectly healthy and there's never been any disease or infection in the tank. I think he is a runt because he never really grew. He's only about 2.5 inches long and I've had him for about 3 years. It doesn't seem like any of the other fish pick on him so I'm just kinda bewildered on why he is just declining like this. It's s 125 gallon tank. Seems to be a very healthy tank.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

3 Not allowed!
    Can you get him into QT or separated from the others? It looks like somebody has nipped at him. Fish often nip at sick or injured fish that aren't swimming properly. That causes more stress and more difficult for the ailing fish to recover.

I remember when you got him and you concerned he was a runt. When did you notice he was looking pale? Has he lost weight or looking smaller lately?
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 12-21-2018 at 02:21 AM.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by angelcraze2 View Post
    Can you get him into QT or separated from the others? It looks like somebody has nipped at him. Fish often nip at sick or injured fish that aren't swimming properly. That causes more stress and more difficult for the ailing fish to recover.

I remember when you got him and you concerned he was a runt. When did you notice he was looking pale? Has he lost weight or looking smaller lately?
    No he looks just the same and he's been acting a little bit different for the past few days but he really went down hill today. I might be able to put him in my ten gallon but I have a betta in there

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    No, DON'T put him with a betta. If you can't set up a hospital bin (it could be a rubbermaid bin if you have a spare heater and air pump) then I might find a way to keep him isolated in the tank. If he's not swimming properly, he won't need a huge space anyway imo. Some additional cover like artificial plants or even spawning mops around his isolation area would help too.

DIY spawning mop ideas for cover
    IMG_6499wm.jpg
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by angelcraze2 View Post
    No, DON'T put him with a betta. If you can't set up a hospital bin (it could be a rubbermaid bin if you have a spare heater and air pump) then I might find a way to keep him isolated in the tank. If he's not swimming properly, he won't need a huge space anyway imo. Some additional cover like artificial plants or even spawning mops around his isolation area would help too.

DIY spawning mop ideas for cover
    IMG_6499wm.jpg
    Thanks angel, I'll try to figure something out in the morning. Hopefully he makes it till then.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast