· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dying jack

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Because I back our Blue...thanks for your service - Silbar   Welcome back! - Slaphppy7   Have another angel fish... - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   No Message - Law Dog   

1 Not allowed!
    I agree with angelcraze. If water parameters are good and no signs of fungus/gill issues then I would lean toward bullying. I had a Dempsey that was showing signs exactly like yours and it was being bullied by a hybrid cichlid. Unfortunately I lost him before I could do anything about his condition. That was when I was working 60hrs a week and only had time for feeding and a WC every couple of weeks.
    * 100gal show
    - planted w/ Crypts, Vals, Java Fern, Staurogyne repens and Amazon Swords
    - Neons, 4 Angelfish, Sunset Honey Gourami, BN Pleco, Spotted Sailfin
    Pleco, Odessa Barbs, Corydoras schwartzi, Serpae Tetras, Silver tip tetras
    * Fluval Spec V
    - Dwarf Gourami, , 1 Kuhli loach, 2 Black Phantom Tetras
    - planted w/ Crypts

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Law Dog View Post
    I agree with angelcraze. If water parameters are good and no signs of fungus/gill issues then I would lean toward bullying. I had a Dempsey that was showing signs exactly like yours and it was being bullied by a hybrid cichlid. Unfortunately I lost him before I could do anything about his condition. That was when I was working 60hrs a week and only had time for feeding and a WC every couple of weeks.
    The Bichir tried to eat him. I put some pellets in the tank tonight for him to eat and gonna start getting feeder fish for him to hunt. Hopefully the Bichir will be satisfied with the carnivore pellets tonight and not try to attack anyone.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    He's at least a foot long, if not longer.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

3 Not allowed!
    You have an aggressive ornate bichir that will eat anything that fits its mouth. It's a predator so you can't blame him for doing what's natural. These guys can get close to 2 feet if properly cared for. Getting feeder fish is a bad idea, and if you don't do proper quarantine procedures for feeder fish (like 3 months of parasite treatments). you will endanger your other fish to disease and parasites.

Rehome the bichir or rehome the other fish. The bichir will need a 24" wide tank as opposed to an 18" wide tank in the long run.

It's a very nice looking ornate though.
    Last edited by Slaphppy7; 12-22-2018 at 04:19 PM.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocksor View Post
    You have an aggressive ornate bichir that will eat anything that fits its mouth. It's a predator so you can't blame him for doing what's natural. These guys can get close to 2 feet if properly cared for. Getting feeder fish is a bad idea, and if you don't do proper quarantine procedures for feeder fish (like 3 months of parasite treatments). you will endanger your other fish to disease and parasites.

Rehome the bichir or rehome the other fish. The bichir will need a 24" wide tank as opposed to an 18" wide tank in the long run.

It's a very nice looking ornate though.
    Why are you always the bearer of bad news?? Lol I have a very decent fish store I go to. I'm gonna go up and talk to them and see if there are any other options. I really don't want to give up either fish since I've had them both since they were just babies. I guess we will see what happens. Thanks for the response

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

3 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by sunscream1488 View Post
    Why are you always the bearer of bad news?? Lol I have a very decent fish store I go to. I'm gonna go up and talk to them and see if there are any other options. I really don't want to give up either fish since I've had them both since they were just babies. I guess we will see what happens. Thanks for the response
    Get another tank, which will make your LFS happy. The ornate has already shown his personality as a aggressive predator. You can't change that.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Do you do the microbubbles when you change your water
    Do you mean do I gas off my tap water prior to adding to the tank during a water change?

Answer to that is yes I do. I usually use an airstone for 5 hours or so minimum in a holding container, or as of lately, I get the shut off valve on the python in that sweet spot where it makes a hissing noise, the water comes out of the python with tiny microbubbles that (I believe) off-gasses the water the same as my airstone does for immediate use.

I personally don't run the water straight into the tank from tap, but if I did, I wouldn't have a problem microscrubbing my whole tank. That is because I don't have any organics building up like leaves on the bottom and stuff. Obviously that would be a terrible idea in a blackwater tank lol.
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 12-22-2018 at 06:40 PM.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by angelcraze2 View Post
    Do you mean do I gas off my tap water prior to adding to the tank during a water change?

Answer to that is yes I do. I usually use an airstone for 5 hours or so minimum in a holding container, or as of lately, I get the shut off valve on the python in that sweet spot where it makes a hissing noise, the water comes out of the python with tiny microbubbles that (I believe) off-gasses the water the same as my airstone does for immediate use.

I personally don't run the water straight into the tank from tap, but if I did, I wouldn't have a problem microscrubbing my whole tank. That is because I don't have any organics building up like leaves on the bottom and stuff. Obviously that would be a terrible idea in a blackwater tank lol.
    Yeah! I do it with the python too! I don't do the valve halfway though. I just stick it in the water and I have a tank full of tiny bubbles

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocksor View Post
    Get another tank, which will make your LFS happy. The ornate has already shown his personality as a aggressive predator. You can't change that.
    No room for another tank unfortunately. Star Lord is pretty much back to his normal self. I'm hoping Harley (the Bichir) figured he doesn't really fit in his mouth and will leave him alone. I'm gonna hit the fish store tomorrow and ask them about their feeder fish and if they are definitely parasite free.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    No room for another tank unfortunately. Star Lord is pretty much back to his normal self. I'm hoping Harley (the Bichir) figured he doesn't really fit in his mouth and will leave him alone. I'm gonna hit the fish store tomorrow and ask them about their feeder fish and if they are definitely parasite free.
    get a microscope and disect a feeder fish yourself. No fish store can guarantee a feeder fish is parasite free unless they breed and raise them for themselves in pristine conditions. However, doing so costs more money than the feeder fish themselves. Any feeder fish that survive the crowded conditions where they are bred have an immune system capable of keeping the parasites and disease inside their body in check. But, they are still carriers. If they are consumed by a fish that doesn't have the immunity, then that fish becomes infected.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast