· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 11 of 44 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas to You and Yours! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Win or lose, here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Cheers! - Slaphppy7   

3 Not allowed!
    The problem with a dehumidifier this time of year is that you need one that remains frost free and those are even more expensive to run. It's not an easy problem to resolve cheaply. I wish there was a simple, cheap solution but there's not. I've been around and around with the issue here. Any place where exterior cold meets warm you're likely to have a few condensation issues. It's one of the reasons multi-pane windows are so effective.
    Last edited by Taurus; 01-03-2019 at 06:27 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Because I back our Blue...thanks for your service - Silbar   Welcome back! - Slaphppy7   Have another angel fish... - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   No Message - Law Dog   

2 Not allowed!
    Nat, I agree with Taurus regarding the moisture in the basement. It's most likely caused by all of the evaporation from the drywall mud and paint, but keep an eye on it. The moisture should subside in a few days. You may want to think about investing in a nice dehumidifier for the summer months, especially with that many tanks going in. I have one 100gal and the humidity in my basement (which is finished) will get to 68-70% if I don't run the dehumidifier, not to mention it will get a musty smell down there. I have an LG dehumidifier I picked up at Lowe's for around $240 about 6yrs ago and it's still running strong. It has a defrost cycle as well. The digital humidistat is not accurate on it, but after trial and error I have it set at 55% which keeps my humidity below 55% in the middle of summer.

I'll have to keep you posted on my DIY sliding glass lids I made for my tank when I get a few months on them. Right now I believe it's cut my evaporation down by at least 50% from the broken hinged lids I had.
    * 100gal show
    - planted w/ Crypts, Vals, Java Fern, Staurogyne repens and Amazon Swords
    - Neons, 4 Angelfish, Sunset Honey Gourami, BN Pleco, Spotted Sailfin
    Pleco, Odessa Barbs, Corydoras schwartzi, Serpae Tetras, Silver tip tetras
    * Fluval Spec V
    - Dwarf Gourami, , 1 Kuhli loach, 2 Black Phantom Tetras
    - planted w/ Crypts

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas to You and Yours! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Win or lose, here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Cheers! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Law Dog View Post
    I have an LG dehumidifier I picked up at Lowe's for around $240 about 6yrs ago and it's still running strong. It has a defrost cycle as well. The digital humidistat is not accurate on it, but after trial and error I have it set at 55% which keeps my humidity below 55% in the middle of summer.
    That is good to know about the LG dehumidifiers. I have had 2 GE dehumidifiers in the last 5 years and they have both failed just outside of the warranty period so I would not recommend them. It might be a case of where an extended warranty might be worth it.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    @Taurus, thanks for all the info, but why does it have to be frost free? I admit, I don't know how to do anything lol, I have to look everything up.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    I too wonder why the DH has to be frost-free if it's mostly used in the summertime?
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    And for the winter it is used indoors right? I have mine plugged on still, but it's too dry to come on this time of year typically. I should probably just unplug it.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Dehumidifiers are always used indoors, yes. Basically, they just draw moisture from the air, then condense it into liquid form, which either collects in a container (that has to be periodically emptied) or runs out of a hose into a nearby drain
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

3 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by angelcraze2 View Post
    @Taurus, thanks for all the info, but why does it have to be frost free? I admit, I don't know how to do anything lol, I have to look everything up.
    If your basement temperature gets below 60 degrees in the winter and you try to draw the humidity level below 50 % a dehumidifier that is not designed to operate in these condition can freeze up. Frost forms on the coils and it won't function. In that case you need one that shuts itself down so as not to do damage to itself. The capacity of the dehumidifier has been exceeded. So if you have a "cold" basement in the winter time and run a dehumidifier down there, keep an eye on it. Under "normal" settings a dehumidifier wouldn't be running under these conditions anyway.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   Hope you had a wonderful day. - Taurus   HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

0 Not allowed!
    Interesting. I did not realize this ^

I'd suppose one could run a space heater around it, as a work-around. Thoughts?
    Learn from yesterday
    Live for today
    Hope for tomorrow

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Now you're beginning to see why they can be so inefficient. With a hot air furnace, I think the most efficient way to do this is at the furnace or in the plenum\duct work? With hot water base board heat, well it's a challenge. I think Nat's furnace is hot air?

Page 11 of 44 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast