· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

0 Not allowed!
    Used is the way to go for budget-friendly projects. As @fissh stated, used equipment is incredibly cheap compared to new. If you have access to FB, search for local aquarium groups in your city/town; there are always people selling equipment. You can also find some ok deals on Craigslist, but those ads usually want more money because they're selling to people who don't know any better. FB group sales are generally much better deals. You can easily pick up a used 55-75gal tank for around $50. A used 55gal with stand can be had for around $75 if you're a good negotiator or the seller is feeling generous.

With a cheap tank/stand like that you don't have to go cheap on hoods/lights/filters/heater and still be under your max budget.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congratulations on your award - Celtic Fins   Here is yours! lol - Northernguy   Its appreciated! - Northernguy   I hope it's still cold. Cheers - Strider199   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   

0 Not allowed!
    I dont mind used as long as it looks newer. It will be in a focal part of my living room so i dont want it to look bad i liked the one craigslist post some suggested earier but its about 2hrs away and dont have the time to pick it up. And would only save about 50 bucks with that deal, it definatly has a better filter but right now the convenience goes a long way around holidays expecially since my wife is recovering from foot surgury.
    Currently
    55gal fishless cycle

Decommissioned
    10 gallon FOWLR Cycling
    http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=82475

110 gallon planted
    http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=50266

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by rookie View Post
    Great info guys i was trying to go with a new set up. But thats when i run into price issues. Since it is going in the living room i am most likey looking for a hood. I would perfer to take on a DIY light source becuse i dont want to invest much time. But i think we r on the right track. I did like that black on on craigslist but its far for me to check out with little time before the holidays.

I had this in mind.
    MarinelandŽ 60 Gallon Heartland LED Aquarium with Stand | fish Aquariums | PetSmart
    https://www.petsmart.com/fish/tanks-...ml?cgid=300129

But am also considering how much everything is going to add up to with filter heater ect.

I also looked at this. I would just need to buy a stand and i worried because someone in the comments said it didnt fit good on a stand
    Top FinŽ Essentials Aquarium Starter Kit | fish Starter Kits | PetSmart
    https://www.petsmart.com/fish/starte...ml?cgid=300128

Skip the canopy, and ambient room light would be fine unless you have plants. All you would need for the top is a cover.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

1 Not allowed!
    If you want to save further money, then think about getting fish that do not require a heater. If you know your ambient room temperature throughout the year, you can stock it with fish like Paradise fish or Rosy barbs, plus others. You will have to stock moderately going this route.

You shouldn't skimp on the API freshwater Master Test Kit.
    Last edited by Rocksor; 12-17-2018 at 07:21 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    I will say that most "kits" are a waste of $$ as the included items are often sub par and have to be replaced for more than re powerful and better quality products.
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boundava View Post
    I will say that most "kits" are a waste of $$ as the included items are often sub par and have to be replaced for more than re powerful and better quality products.
    OK I am sick of my phone editing while I type...that mess was supposed to be this:

I will say that most "kits" are a waste of $$ as the included items are often sub par and have to be replaced for more powerful, and better quality products.
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congratulations on your award - Celtic Fins   Here is yours! lol - Northernguy   Its appreciated! - Northernguy   I hope it's still cold. Cheers - Strider199   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   

1 Not allowed!
    Sorry 4 the wait but i decided to go with the persmart 55gal kit and seperate stand. I was hoping that i could find another good deal but it seems that was best since i didnt have much free time to dedicate into shopping. However if it wasnt so far there is a good chance i could have purchased 1 of two suggested. Boundava that second link looked like a winner just too farvaway. And blue water after you suggested facebook i messaged someone and was interested but we had a language barrier that i just didnt have patience for. So i decided to give you each 2500pts. For some great suggestions. Thank you all the kids will love it.
    Currently
    55gal fishless cycle

Decommissioned
    10 gallon FOWLR Cycling
    http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=82475

110 gallon planted
    http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=50266