· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Hi, I wish I knew somebody with an aquarium...otherwise that's a great idea!

I tested my tap and it's around 7-7.2, it may be due to the ammonia I added...right now it's sitting at around 2-3ppm.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by gold View Post
    Just a suggestion.

If you know an aquarist nearby, you can put a sponge filter in his tank. After 2 weeks, you can move that filter back to your tank and you'll have an instant cycle.

Or maybe buy a used sponge from a filter in the LFS where you'll buy your fish?
    Great idea, and it works, but be sure to get media from a disease free/pathogen free tank...those can be hard to find

The BEST (and safest) seeded media to use in a new tank is that of your own...another good reason to have multiple tanks
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by steelo View Post
    I tested my tap and it's around 7-7.2, it may be due to the ammonia I added...right now it's sitting at around 2-3ppm.
    PH can and will vary during a cycle, a steady tank water ph is what you'll strive for after the cycle

If the tap ph and tank ph average very close, mission accomplished, and makes WC's safe and easy to do

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by steelo View Post
    Hi, I wish I knew somebody with an aquarium...
    Join Facebook if you haven't already and join some local aquarium groups. Just type in the name of your town followed by "aquariums" into the search bar and you should get several groups to pop up. Being in a local group is nice because you'll see a lot of deals come through on equipment and animals. Most members are really nice and will be happy to share some of their seeded media with you. Sticking your own sponge filter in their tank and waiting weeks for it to become seeded is not necessary. Just ask them if you can have some of their media and then you just drop it into your own filter and you're off to the races. The bacteria multiplies extremely fast and you'll see your ammonia drop away. Tank will be cycled in just a couple of days.

Please note that "cycled" and "established" are two different things. A cycled tank can process ammonia and nitrites fast enough to be safe for the animals, but it can still experience instabilities in water parameters that may or may not harm the fauna in there. It takes months for a complex and balanced ecosystem that includes micro fauna to establish itself in a tank and buffer it against fluctuations. Although most of us will start stocking a tank once it is cycled, it is advised to be selective in your choice of first inhabitants and wait to add particularly sensitive species until the tank has been running for a few months.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Thanks, I will definitely look into joining some facebook aquarium clubs. Just to note, I checked the levels tonight...still absolutely no signs of nitrites and ammonia is sitting at 2ppm.

I'm going on vacation for a few days so I added some stability and prime...here's hoping I get some signs of life when I get back on the 26th! Thank you all for your valuable input! Merry Christmas to everyone!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congratulations on your award - Celtic Fins   Here is yours! lol - Northernguy   Its appreciated! - Northernguy   I hope it's still cold. Cheers - Strider199   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    I wouldn't even add the food flakes...I've never used the Stability, never needed it

So, you are going to empty the tank and start over?
    Stello have u had any luck after your vacation i just foimd ur thread because i set up a 55gal on christmas day with the same issues and i also used the same walmart stuff and stability. I did get the dr tims ammonia so im about 50/50 with the walmart stuff.
    Currently
    55gal
    23 Mbuna

Decommissioned
    10 gallon FOWLR Cycling
    http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=82475

110 gallon planted
    http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=50266

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congratulations on your award - Celtic Fins   Here is yours! lol - Northernguy   Its appreciated! - Northernguy   I hope it's still cold. Cheers - Strider199   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   

0 Not allowed!
    The problem is most likley the ammonia. Im doing a water change now because i got dr tims stuff and the water comming out my tank is bubbling like dish soap under high pressure
    Currently
    55gal
    23 Mbuna

Decommissioned
    10 gallon FOWLR Cycling

110 gallon planted

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I would completely empty the tank, wash everything down with tap waster, and start over

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Yup i did it that night. Completely drained the tank filled about 20 percent swished the gravel around and wiped the walls, drained again then filled. Once i get the tanked cycled i will do another large water change or two before adding fish
    Currently
    55gal
    23 Mbuna

Decommissioned
    10 gallon FOWLR Cycling

110 gallon planted