· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   

Default Kitties' new water dish

3 Not allowed!
    We installed the new ceiling heater in their house after the other one died. The idea was not only to keep their house cozy for them, but also to keep their water from freezing in their water dish. We thought the combination of the heater coming on with the thermostat regulating it, and the fact that log houses tend to retain heat would be adequate to keep their water liquid.

For some reason, it has been freezing, anyway, even with the new ceiling heater, which I know has been functioning like it should.

So, now they have a special heated water dish that directly heats their water, plugged into the electrical outlet in their little house.

That's the kitties' Christmas present from us, in addition to all the treats they'll be getting from my sister and brother. Their very own heated water dish, and never again shall they have to lick the surface of ice to get their water during the winter months, or eat snow when they're outside. Previously, I had to pour hot water over the frozen stuff to thaw it out for them.
    20 gal. high: planted; 5 white cloud minnows, 4 golden White Clouds, several RCS, 2 blue shrimp, 5 Amano shrimp, several snails; Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 6 rosy barbs, 6 yellow glofish, 3 red glofish, 3 zebra danios, 5 white cloud minnows, 3 dojo loaches, 6 crimson spot rainbow fish, 12 large Amano Shrimp, several snails; AC110.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    That's wonderful, I was going to suggest an electric heating pad under the dish, but I didn't know they made special water dishes.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   

2 Not allowed!
    I wasn't aware of it, either.

The problem with a heating pad, unless it's a thermal pad that doesn't require electricity, is that if it gets wet while plugged into current, the result could be an electric shock. Heating pads used by humans to relieve pain would never do.

The cord to this water dish is protected inside of a coiled sheaf, and plugged into an outlet that is quite some distance away from the water. Should be safe, unless kitties decide to play with it. Mainly, they've been laying around in their carpeted beds, lazy and comfortable blobs of fur. They come down to eat and drink, and use their litter boxes, then up they go again and lounge around.

Such an awful, hard-scrabble life! LOL!

Our local animal shelter has a sign on their door, now, that says they're absolutely NOT taking anymore cats. Evidently, they have all they can support, waiting for good homes. I'm thinking what a nice Christmas present a kitten would make for somebody, eager and willing to take care of it. Too bad there are so many homeless cats. People just drop them off and forget about them. Or worse yet, dump them out into fields where they have to fend for themselves. Most of those cats don't survive, especially if they have been accustomed to lives as pets.
    20 gal. high: planted; 5 white cloud minnows, 4 golden White Clouds, several RCS, 2 blue shrimp, 5 Amano shrimp, several snails; Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 6 rosy barbs, 6 yellow glofish, 3 red glofish, 3 zebra danios, 5 white cloud minnows, 3 dojo loaches, 6 crimson spot rainbow fish, 12 large Amano Shrimp, several snails; AC110.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    That's so sad. I don't understand how someone can do that, but aware it happens, sadly. Thank you for giving them a shelter. And I have no idea about it, just glad you have something safe figured out for them.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's a betta for you. - Slaphppy7   For your oscar heimlich rescue :) - BluewaterBoof   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    that is pretty cool. glad you got it worked out.
    Brian

I wish I had a Fish Wish Dish.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!