· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Good luck with the cycle! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

Default SixtyForty's 20 Gallon Journal

2 Not allowed!
    Hello everyone!

I purchased an aqueon 20 gallon fish tank about a week ago. I had noooooooo idea about how to set up a tank until I did some research online after I had purchased my tank. Good grief I thought, this is going to require an effort to setup correctly! After about 2 days of good research, I absorbed the nitrogen cycle as best as I could and anything else I could find.

I dosed my tank with ammonia last night with the help of my api master test kit, I just hope everything goes well. I wish I had an adjustable heater so I could raise the water temp as some have suggested.

The basic hob filter that this tank came with, its an aqueon 10 power filter. Will this filter be ok to start with or do you think I should upgrade to something better right away? I was thinking about an aquaclear 30 so I can have some room to add some extra media?

I put in some cheap fake plants for now for something to look at while it cycles.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's  to getting well! - Rue   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   A cup of coffee to get your day started. - gadget228   For 10K posts, finally - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - Boundava   
    HIV/AIDS - William   Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - William   

0 Not allowed!
    Welcome to AC. Hopefully you will find it a good place to both learn and have fun.
    Do as I say. Not as I do.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

3 Not allowed!
    Welcome to the AC.

Great job doing your research to learn how to properly set up your tank, before adding fish.

I highly advise getting an adjustable heater, especially if the room temp fluctuates significantly...and yes, a higher temp will speed up your cycle.

Yes, I would get an AC30, and cycle with it...save the Aqueon for a backup.

A few questions:

How do you plan on stocking the tank?...do you know the ph, gh, and kh of your tap water?

What kind of ammonia did you use, and how much did you add? What kind of water conditioer did you use?...City water, well water?

You've come to the best place for info and knowledge in fishkeeping, IMO, and very good luck to you.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Good morning slaphppy7.

I'm going to order an adjustable heater today along with a new power filter. The supplied cheap aqueon heater supplied in my bundle is no longer heating properly anymore. :(

Our city water ph tested at @ 8.0

I have no idea on how to stock the tank once it cycles. I'm absolutely green when it comes to fish keeping.

I used some ammonia that I got from the dollar store. It didn't foam like the ammonia at the other dollar store I was at and is fragrance free. I ended up with adding 18 teaspoons all together to get my level to 4.5 ppm. Each teaspoon raised my level .25 ppm.

I used the aqueon water conditioner that came in my bundle. I let my tank run for 2 days before adding the ammonia last night. I do have some stability and prime on hand now for future use.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome back! - Slaphppy7   Celebrating your amazing restoration work! - showmebutterfly   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Welcome to the forum! And like slap said good job at doing research before buying fish! 18 teaspoons is way to much for a 20g tank. How long did you wait to test your water after adding the ammonia? It takes awhile especially with a smaller filter to evenly disperse through your tank. When I get time later I'll find the online calculator I used to figure out how much ammonia to add.
    "They had learned to speak, and so had won their first great victory over Time. Now the knowledge of one generation could be handed on to the next, so that each age could profit from those that had gone before." 2001: A Space Odyssey
    Arthur C. Clark

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

3 Not allowed!
    Have a look at the Cobalt Neo Therm filters, they've become one of my favorites...a wee bit pricey compared to others, but they are accurate, reliable, and come with a built-in thermometer, so no need for another thermometer in the tank. It's always a good idea to have a digital pocket thermometer on hand for periodic temp checks, though.

TBH, 4.5 ppm ammonia is much too high for a tank that size...do you know the concentration of ammonium hydroxide of the ammonia you bought?...is it listed on the bottle, or is there an ingredients list?...I would dose that size tank at no more than 2 ppm ammonia to start a cycle.

Get some medicinal syringes, usually free at your pharmacy or very cheap from the dollar stores or Walmart...they are good for accurately measuring ammonia, and very handy for filling your test kit tubes with sample tank water for testing...they also make it a cinch to accurately dose your Prime (1ml/10G)

Use the chart at the bottom of this page to accurately dose your tank with ammonia: http://www.fishforums.net/aquarium-calculator.htm But, you will need to know the concentration of your ammonia

Most of us who can find it use this: https://www.acehardware.com/departme...cleaners/10183

If I were you, I'd drain the tank and start over, with a concentration around 2%

Speaking of draining and filling the tank...do you have a faucet nearby, with a screw-on aerator?...if so, this thing is a must-have for fishkeeping, IMO...makes water changes (which you will be doing weekly or so after adding fish) MUCH easier to perform, they come in different lengths, 25 feet is the shortest: https://www.amazon.com/25-Foot-Pytho...+water+changer

Start using the Prime exclusively, it's the best conditioner out there, again IMO...hold off on the Stability, you may/probably won't need it
    Last edited by Slaphppy7; 12-09-2018 at 04:33 PM.

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    You've probably already seen this, be sure to follow the directions here carefully: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nautilus291 View Post
    Welcome to the forum! And like slap said good job at doing research before buying fish! 18 teaspoons is way to much for a 20g tank. How long did you wait to test your water after adding the ammonia? It takes awhile especially with a smaller filter to evenly disperse through your tank. When I get time later I'll find the online calculator I used to figure out how much ammonia to add.
    I waited quite a long time in between adding more. I don't think the ammonia I used was very strong.

I just tested it again. It has been 7 hours since my last few teaspoons.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Way too much, sorry to say, but easy to fix.

From the link I posted above in post #7:

"There are several reasons that a fishless cycle may fail.
    1/ Not using a de-chlorinator
    2/ Not reducing the amount of ammonia during the nitrite stage.
    3/ Changing your filter media or cleaning the gravel or adding chemicals that you don’t need to add.
    4/ Not having the patience to wait for the nitrite levels to drop.
    5/ Over-dosing ammonia by starting with too much or adding more than once a day.
    "

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    You've probably already seen this, be sure to follow the directions here carefully: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    I have read that and have it bookmarked for future use! Thank you.

This board is very active, I am grateful for that.

Thank you nautilus and slaphppy.

Are you sure 4 ish ppm is too much? In the fishless cycle page it said that it would ok, no? Ahh I see now where it says for small tanks 1-2 ppm.

Would I be able to just do a 50% water exchange and remove half of the ammonia or would the chlorine screw things up?
    Last edited by SixtyForty; 12-09-2018 at 04:53 PM.