· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas to you and your family :-) - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you too! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Congrats! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nautilus291 View Post
    After reading about how ammonia instantly becomes toxic when you let oxygen back into the bag I think I'd prefer to get the fish out as soon as you open it. Even though you are somewhat close to Portland that fish will still be in the bag awhile. I would stick with your tried and true method.
    I agree @Nautilus291 . I am going to temp acclimate them for 15 minutes and then they are going in!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas to You and Yours! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Win or lose, here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Cheers! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by discusluv View Post
    I agree @Nautilus291 . I am going to temp acclimate them for 15 minutes and then they are going in!
    Does the Wetspot ship with Prime in the bag? It's just a thought but I would hope they would.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome back! - Slaphppy7   Celebrating your amazing restoration work! - showmebutterfly   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Taurus View Post
    Does the Wetspot ship with Prime in the bag? It's just a thought but I would hope they would.
    I'm not sure about that, but they at least put a little square of the ammonia buffering filter pad in the bag.
    "They had learned to speak, and so had won their first great victory over Time. Now the knowledge of one generation could be handed on to the next, so that each age could profit from those that had gone before." 2001: A Space Odyssey
    Arthur C. Clark

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas to You and Yours! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Win or lose, here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Cheers! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    I'm not sure about that, but they at least put a little square of the ammonia buffering filter pad in the bag.
    Yeah, I deal with a LFS 60 miles from my home once in a while that does that as well. But I always ask to put a few drops of Prime in there as well, it can't hurt.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

2 Not allowed!
    After reading about how ammonia instantly becomes toxic when you let oxygen back into the bag I think I'd prefer to get the fish out as soon as you open it. Even though you are somewhat close to Portland that fish will still be in the bag awhile. I would stick with your tried and true method.
    My practice with fish from TWS (I've had many) includes a drop or two of Prime as soon as the inner bag is opened, and exposed to air

The fish are shipped double-bagged, I usually remove the outer bag, discard the outer bag, rinse the inner bag in mild temp tap water and pat dry with a towel, then float for 10-15 minutes

The inner bag then gets lifted out of the tank, opened (carefully), treated with a drop or two of Prime, bag contents poured through a large net (over a bucket), then lower the net w/fish into the tank, allowing them to swim out of the net, at will

With small fish, or ones that get stuck for one reason or another, I'll close the tank lid on the end handle of the net, and leave it submerged until all have swam out of it

Of course, by that time, the original fish/shrimp/snails have congregated on or around the net, so they have to be shaken off the net before removing from the tank
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    I don't order fish, but when I bring them home, I get the fish into a bucket of water with methelyne blue 1ml per gallon. I match temp and TDS exactly and plop and drop into the bucket of mblue. I feel the same way with opening the shipping bag (I've ordered fish once. I want those fish out of the bag asap after first opening. I feel nervous about adding any fish straight into the QT tank from the shipping bag. I have always even 'rinsed' my inverts once or twice before adding to QT. If the tank TDS is different than the bucket and bag TDS, I'll acclimate from there, but usually I keep the QT tank at the same TDS as the LFS because it's where I keep it anyway.

I also have never brought home wild caught fish. So @discusluv, I agree with using your tried and true method of acclimation.
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 12-18-2018 at 06:50 PM.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas to you and your family :-) - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you too! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Congrats! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    The truck is running an hour late... grr...

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah, they may be a "little" bit busy this time of year, lol
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Postal has been forced back to work after a strike. Everything is so backlogged and they are still pretty much work to rule. It's a crap show over here! Hope they get there nice and safe soon!
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

3 Not allowed!
    They are good! I put shipping bags in water to temp acclimate. Immediately opened the bags and put in 2 drops of Prime.
    They all look active and alert.
    I think I will spread it out over about an hour, adding a bit of water from tank at a time.
    I typically wouldnt do it this way, but I will keep a good eye on them for signs of stress.
    Fortunately, Wetspot being the company that they are- there was plenty of heat packs in there to keep the water warm as well.