· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome back! - Slaphppy7   Celebrating your amazing restoration work! - showmebutterfly   

Default Is this an unhealthy poop?

0 Not allowed!
    I got this shot a little bit ago of the pleco. What do you guys think?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "They had learned to speak, and so had won their first great victory over Time. Now the knowledge of one generation could be handed on to the next, so that each age could profit from those that had gone before." 2001: A Space Odyssey
    Arthur C. Clark

Latest gifts & ribbons:

hero to a crayfish - RiversGirl   

0 Not allowed!
    It looks a little stringy; is the pleco showing any other signs of illness? Maybe an internal worm.
    It's better to have and not need then to need and not have; this is especially true when you're dealing with fish and you need itch medication.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome back! - Slaphppy7   Celebrating your amazing restoration work! - showmebutterfly   

0 Not allowed!
    He seems to be acting normal to me, but I recently lost a female pleco, so I've been watching the tank closely and noticed this.
    "They had learned to speak, and so had won their first great victory over Time. Now the knowledge of one generation could be handed on to the next, so that each age could profit from those that had gone before." 2001: A Space Odyssey
    Arthur C. Clark

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Do you guys feel with the recent loss, and then the way this poop looks I should just start treating the tank? And if so what should I treat it with?
    Arthur C. Clark

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   Sending you a geophagus to  tank you for your analytical powers! - discusluv   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   

1 Not allowed!
    looks like a pleco that isn't eating much, not necessarily parasitic

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocksor View Post
    looks like a pleco that isn't eating much, not necessarily parasitic
    I have wondered if my acara and severum steal the food I put out at night for the pleco. Since I've re-home the severum I have noticed he gets more food during the day now, but maybe I can get a cave that only the pleco fits in and then put his food in there that way the acara can't be so greedy.
    Arthur C. Clark

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - Hockey nut   Congrats on the baby Dupe - Silbar   No Message - ApistoJoe   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    Try feeding him some zucchini also. I leave it in for at least a day. Raw, no need to blanch or anything.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You will win this battle against the nematodes. - RiversGirl   teacher/friend - marc4   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nautilus291 View Post
    I have wondered if my acara and severum steal the food I put out at night for the pleco. Since I've re-home the severum I have noticed he gets more food during the day now, but maybe I can get a cave that only the pleco fits in and then put his food in there that way the acara can't be so greedy.
    I noticed my plecos weren't getting enough food in my 90g. The male looks a lot like yours. I am increasing how much veggie I put in, adding the rounds at night. One in the male's cave, and two under the driftwood on the other side for the females. My angelfish (8) eat the rounds if they can find it. But they can't get at it in the cave or under DW.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You will win this battle against the nematodes. - RiversGirl   teacher/friend - marc4   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   

1 Not allowed!
    I'll add you kinda have to keep an eye on plecos. My albino male in the 120g is nice and fat, but I don't feed him as often. I still see him eating the diatoms at night. I guess the algae in the 90g is not enough to feed all the plecos in there, so I have to supplement more veggie. I also have to feed my male pleco in the forever QT tank more food since it's low light. So like I say, I look at my plecos to see how much they need in each tank.

I don't necessarily think the poop looks unhealthy, but if they always look that way with more food.... I'd keep an eye out. He looks healthy otherwise imo.
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 12-04-2018 at 07:20 PM.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the suggestions! I have been feeding some blanched zucchini, but he doesn't seem to go nuts for it. I'll try putting them in the tank fresh and see what happens. I've been putting other veggies in the tank, seems to like peppers and cucumbers. I couldn't tell if he eats the broccoli or not.

This is the first time I've ever owned plecos, and I didn't realize that he looks skinny. I wish I would have realized sooner that they weren't getting enough food, maybe I could have saved the female.
    Arthur C. Clark