· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

Default Seachem Matrix for nitrate control?

0 Not allowed!
    I'm curious if anyone has any insight on Seachem Matrix filter media. Seachem claims it reduces nitrate with anaerobic bacteria, but I rarely hear of anyone suggesting this for nitrate control.

From the Seachem Site
    Plastic bio-materials provide only external surface area, whereas Matrix™ provides both external and internal macroporous surface area. These macropores are ideally sized for the support of nitrifying and denitrifying bacteria. This allows Matrix™, unlike other forms of biomedia, to remove nitrate along with ammonia and nitrite, simultaneously and in the same filter.
    https://www.seachem.com/matrix.php
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    Sounds like (to me anyway) that it just does the same thing as any other porous media does
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    I'm not sure. If somehow anaerobic bacteria can colonize in the filter, it would theoretically work to lower nitrates. Just like an anaerobic bed in salt water. Idk, that's why i'm asking first before I invest in it. Thanks Matt for your thoughts.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No arowanas or bichirs in the shop, so have a gourami instead - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Congratulations on winning POTM! - BluewaterBoof   

2 Not allowed!
    I have probably 2L of it and I still have nitrates - don't get my wrong, it's a great biomedia, but I haven't seen a downward turn in nitrate production. Purigen will prevent to creation of nitrates and has more benefits anyways. Pristine also helps remove nitrates in my experience.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ - korith   

2 Not allowed!
    Sounds a lot like market-speak to me.
    I think I want a bigger tank!!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by datfish View Post
    I have probably 2L of it and I still have nitrates - don't get my wrong, it's a great biomedia, but I haven't seen a downward turn in nitrate production. Purigen will prevent to creation of nitrates and has more benefits anyways. Pristine also helps remove nitrates in my experience.
    Does it increase though? Maybe it keeps it at bay? I mean, did you initially reduce nitrates to 10ppm first? I was finding my 120g was accumulating 15ppm nitrate in 10 days. This is in a pretty heavily planted tank I thought. I don't know when they started to accumulate because I admit, I stopped testing because they are always 0ppm in my planted tanks. But this 120g, I accumulate them. I'm trying to clean it up (thought it was clean, but anyway) trying different things like adding emersed and fast growing plants, using probiotics too, but I haven't seen an improvement yet.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No arowanas or bichirs in the shop, so have a gourami instead - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Congratulations on winning POTM! - BluewaterBoof   

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by angelcraze2 View Post
    Does it increase though? Maybe it keeps it at bay? I mean, did you initially reduce nitrates to 10ppm first? I was finding my 120g was accumulating 15ppm nitrate in 10 days. This is in a pretty heavily planted tank I thought. I don't know when they started to accumulate because I admit, I stopped testing because they are always 0ppm in my planted tanks. But this 120g, I accumulate them. I'm trying to clean it up (thought it was clean, but anyway) trying different things like adding emersed and fast growing plants, using probiotics too, but I haven't seen an improvement yet.
    I did 80% water change, then a 30% the next day, and another 30% the next day before adding the matrix. No noticable dent in nitrate production. 15ppm over 15 days isn't terrible by any means, purigen would probably reduce that by half. Haven't used probiotics myself, so I can't speak on that.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    I'm just not used to nitrates registering, I feel so much better knowing I don't have to worry about them. When nitrates rise in a large tank, it's more difficult to get them down as you must know.

I have 8 angelfish, about 6 tetras left, 3 GBRs and a BN pleco. I wouldn't expect there to be that much accumulation and i'm reluctant to add more tetras at this rate. What do you think?

For info on using probiotics if you're interested
    https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/f.../#post-6415196
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 11-21-2018 at 07:29 PM.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas to You and Yours! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Win or lose, here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Cheers! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    I would not count matrix for nitrate reduction. I looked into the stuff a few years ago and the conclusion I came to is that it is just another form of biomedia.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas to You and Yours! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Win or lose, here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Cheers! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    Sounds like (to me anyway) that it just does the same thing as any other porous media does
    Exactly...