· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Why does it advertise denitrification abilities though?
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No arowanas or bichirs in the shop, so have a gourami instead - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Congratulations on winning POTM! - BluewaterBoof   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by angelcraze2 View Post
    Why does it advertise denitrification abilities though?
    If used in an anaerobic chamber it probably supports denitrificating bacteria.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by datfish View Post
    Ooooh! It never mentions anything about a denitrifying chamber. I never even heard of this. Tx though.

Pretty stupid because it's not the media doing the denitrification!

Sorry for all the questions, but I just have to know why with everything and it seems they are not up to giving away their secrets. I just want to know how it works!
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 11-21-2018 at 08:25 PM.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas to You and Yours! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Win or lose, here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Cheers! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    Theoretically it has the capacity for anaerobic bacteria formation because of the deep shouldn't be porous nature of the product. I believe that means a bed of this stuff shouldn't be disturbed for a lengthy period of time somewhat like a deep bed sand filter works. I am one to clean my filters which includes rinsing all of my biomedia to keep it clean as this will lead to less nitrate build up so I have issues with the whole theory.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas to You and Yours! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Win or lose, here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Cheers! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Is that what this stuff is designed for? Using it in a HOB or canister filter never made sense to me but my experience is limited to those types of filtration.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Very good points Larry. But I wonder if the individual pieces hold the denitrifying bacteria inside. I swish rinse my bio media in a bucket of old tank water, but I don't scrub or remove it from water. Just to scoop it out of the dirty bucket water and back into the filter. Good food for thought though.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No arowanas or bichirs in the shop, so have a gourami instead - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Congratulations on winning POTM! - BluewaterBoof   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Taurus View Post
    Is that what this stuff is designed for? Using it in a HOB or canister filter never made sense to me but my experience is limited to those types of filtration.
    I would imagine it's probably designed for low oxygen filter beds in sumps orn something along those lines. It works fine as regular biomedia though.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I was reading about high flow rates and they claim it works just fine. I read for more nitrate removing power to use Pond Matrix in your high flow canisters. Really, I don't get why they claim Matrix reduces nitrate? Not just reduce, but remove....
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - ApistoJoe   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Taurus View Post
    I would imagine it's probably designed for low oxygen filter beds in sumps orn something along those lines. It works fine as regular biomedia though.
    Matrix is designed to work just as any other biomedia - either in a canister or HOB filter. The Tidal filters all come with Matrix along with a porous sponge.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by SueD View Post
    Matrix is designed to work just as any other biomedia - either in a canister or HOB filter. The Tidal filters all come with Matrix along with a porous sponge.
    As a regular biomedia, yes. Nitrate removal, not so sure.