· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Thread: Rams

Latest gifts & ribbons:

hero to a crayfish - RiversGirl   

Default Rams

0 Not allowed!
    Is a 10-gallon tank enough room for a pair of these?
    It's better to have and not need then to need and not have; this is especially true when you're dealing with fish and you need itch medication.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You will win this battle against the nematodes. - RiversGirl   teacher/friend - marc4   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   

1 Not allowed!
    If set up properly, yes. It's on the small side and params plus conditions would have to kept pristine, which is more difficult in a small tank. I think you'd be best to have a alternate plan if things get chippy, but AmazonJoe had a nice pair of breeding GBRs in his 10g. The thing with rams is the male tends to chase the female relentlessly between spawns. At least that is my experience with them.

I personally think if you could squeeze in a 20g long for them instead, that would make all the difference. I'd keep a divider handy though!
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Latest gifts & ribbons:

hero to a crayfish - RiversGirl   

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks! How do I sex the rams, visually? And will a rocky structure with lots of caves and hole suffice for hiding places during spawning? It's one of the only decorations in there.
    It's better to have and not need then to need and not have; this is especially true when you're dealing with fish and you need itch medication.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You will win this battle against the nematodes. - RiversGirl   teacher/friend - marc4   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   

1 Not allowed!
    Which type of ram will you be considering? I am familiar with the GBR and morphs.

It's rather difficult to sex immature specimens, but generally the male ram will have longer front dorsal spikes (but not always the case, see my pic) and dorsal fin ends in a point rather than the rounded dorsal end of the female. The female's belly turns a beautiful pink and is quite rounded. The overall body shape of the male is longer than a female's. Male's anal fins are more pointed as well. Some say the male does not have any iridescent blue flecks in the black spot, snd the female does, but it's not the best way to sex them either. I like to watch the rams in the store, oftentimes you can pick out a pair if you watch long enough.

Male
    german-blue-ram-mikrogeophagus-ramirezi-2.jpg

Female
    20181027_173200.jpg
    One of my female rams in the 120g

The mazes and breaking the line of sight is good, I don't find they use caves much like apistos do, but never a bad thing. I find they like to spawn on flat rocks. My pairs have always chosen a flat rock ob the substrate to spawn on. I would just be ready to spilt them if they are fighting like I said. If they appear cramped, they'll need a larger tank. Every cichlid is different.

Just for instance, I have 8 angelfish in my 90g and 8 in my 120g. The 90g is fine while the 120g seems a bit cramped.
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 11-20-2018 at 08:21 PM.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat