· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   

Default Sign of the times, but very annoying ...

2 Not allowed!
    Once upon a time, when one purchased a new appliance or other technology, a printed instruction manual came with it. Makes sense, doesn't it?

Today, a lot of these modern gismos and gadgets don't come with any instructions. You have to go onto the internet and try to download them, and hope you can find them, hope they will download properly, and hope that your printer will print them out. No instruction manual in the box with the product. No way to order one through the mail.

Have we come to this? REALLY?

What about those folks who still don't have computers or smart phones? What are THEY supposed to do? Just try to figure out for themselves how these increasingly sophisticated and complicated technologies work, and hope they get it right?

Hubby recently purchased a new cordless phone (not a cell phone, but a portable) with an answering machine. The only instructions that came with it tell the basics of how to make a call and how to end a call. Fine. NO instructions on how to work the answering machine, no playback button on the machine itself, no record button on the machine. He managed to figure some of that out -- it's all done on the face of the phone. But as far as which buttons to press for what and in what order, he had to ascertain that through trial and error.

REALLY?

Is that how we're supposed to live these days -- trying to second guess and figure out complicated systems on our own?

We can't send for an instruction manual with this thing. We have to try to find it online. Good luck with that!

So, WHO became too lazy to print up an instruction manual and enclose it inside the box with the phone? Who decided that was too much trouble? Who assumed that all consumers are tech savvy and can figure this stuff our with little or no guidance?

It's the wave of the future, I know -- but for crying out loud! ...
    20 gal. high: planted; 5 white cloud minnows, 4 golden White Clouds, several RCS, 2 blue shrimp, 5 Amano shrimp, several snails; Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 6 rosy barbs, 6 yellow glofish, 3 red glofish, 3 zebra danios, 5 white cloud minnows, 3 dojo loaches, 6 crimson spot rainbow fish, 12 large Amano Shrimp, several snails; AC110.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

hero to a crayfish - RiversGirl   

1 Not allowed!
    It's because nobody reads them anymore; a waste of paper and trash can space for most people.
    It's better to have and not need then to need and not have; this is especially true when you're dealing with fish and you need itch medication.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   

1 Not allowed!
    REALLY? Nobody reads written directions, anymore? Folks just push buttons and hope for the best, then scratch their heads when things don't work right? Send it back for a refund because it's "defective" -- because nobody reads instructions?

I can't speak for anyone else, but I welcome a set of printed instructions that address everything a person needs to know to properly operate their new toy. Granted, some printed instructions could be more clearly written and easier to understand, but certainly are better than nothing. Some raise more questions than answers because they don't always address specific situations or particular circumstances of individual users, and some are so generalized and open to interpretation as to leave one guessing -- but AT LEAST they're provided. And with a little contemplation, can usually be figured out.

That's when one is lucky enough to have them. This business of having to look everything up on the internet is ridiculous. Who has time for that? And who is to say that online instructions are any clearer or easier to understand than printed ones? They're just more of a pain to access.

I feel that if one is going to shell out hard-earned money for a technologically advanced system, part of what they receive for that money should include an instruction manual they can sit down and go over, and re-read if they need to, and have something tangible to work with, right out of the box.

By the way, the dinky excuse for a pamphlet that did come with our new phone had its one-third page of minimal usage instructions printed in three different languages, but NO information about the answering machine portion, in any of those languages.

Big on being multi-lingual, but stingy on information.
    20 gal. high: planted; 5 white cloud minnows, 4 golden White Clouds, several RCS, 2 blue shrimp, 5 Amano shrimp, several snails; Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 6 rosy barbs, 6 yellow glofish, 3 red glofish, 3 zebra danios, 5 white cloud minnows, 3 dojo loaches, 6 crimson spot rainbow fish, 12 large Amano Shrimp, several snails; AC110.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   Hope you had a wonderful day. - Taurus   HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

1 Not allowed!
    Your new phone sounds quite frustrating. I too read instructions, and often will keep them to refer back to, as well.

I'm sorry to hear your new purchase was without them. I hope you are able to find some helpful guidance for the answering machine online, yet. Perhaps someone may have left an enlightening comment under reviews, if you can find venders selling this particular phone. Good luck to you.
    Learn from yesterday
    Live for today
    Hope for tomorrow

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas to You and Yours! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Win or lose, here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Cheers! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    I love on line manuals and instructions. I don't have to worry about where to file all that paper and finding it again. The less paper I have to handle the better.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Belated Birthday! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

2 Not allowed!
    Same here...I'll print them if needed, but I'd rather just bookmark the sites with manuals I need, and file away in my email folders under Appliances, Automotive, etc...
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   Hope you had a wonderful day. - Taurus   HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

1 Not allowed!
    I really should get myself so organized as to follow suit.
    I do have a couple of mechanical things bookmarked here and there.
    Learn from yesterday
    Live for today
    Hope for tomorrow

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on the Platy fry - Silbar   Congrats on the shrimp! - Silbar   I loved the vid - Silbar   sfsamm - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

4 Not allowed!
    I absolutely use printed instructions. Prefer them by far over the internet hunt and the internet hunt is a GIANT pita for me because I do not have a printer and have not had a computer either in over a year. I have to constantly be hoping that their instructions are available for a smart phone, that I can read them in my language and then fight my phone to stay charged and the screen on without dropping or breaking it while also trying to zoom on all the tiny print.

I just put together this set of shelves in my garage and I can honestly say with as many pieces as they came with and being almost entirely steel I was extremely pleased that their instructions were clear, in larger print and included a "parts" list and photos. It was an absolute breeze to put together and I cleared the garage, added all the insulation, put the shelves together and placed items messily upon them in a absolute total of 6.5 hours by myself.

Without a great set of printed instructions and if I had to do it on my phone, I never would have gotten even just the shelves done in a day and likely never could have put them together without help. With them it was easy peasy and something I was able to enjoy and be proud of.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Belated Birthday! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    No computer, in over a year???

Gadzooks, how is that possible?

TBH, years ago, I fought the idea of getting a home PC...thought I didn't need one, hell, I'd done just fine for the first 30+ years of my life without one, and managed just fine

I wouldn't have the job I do now (and can tolerate, actually like AAMAF) w/out a computer, and internet access

It's the "Information Age", after all, right?

I digress...that's a nice set of shelving, and I agree 100%, I'd need hard-copy (paper) directions for a project like that, for sure...and if I could print it off of the internet with larger font so I didn't need my glasses, even better.......
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome back! - Slaphppy7   Celebrating your amazing restoration work! - showmebutterfly   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    My wife needs a printer at home for her job, so I bought one that hooks up to WiFi and I use it to print stuff from my phone all the time now. Between that, and since English is in pretty much all directions I'm set no matter what I buy. One thing about online instructions that can get old is when they clump the instructions for similar products all into one PDF. It can be a pain to find the info you need. Although I've also gotten instructions out of a box the same way so I guess thats not online only.

I do get your frustrations mermaide, but I also like the idea of less paper being used. I guess I'm on the fence about this one.
    "They had learned to speak, and so had won their first great victory over Time. Now the knowledge of one generation could be handed on to the next, so that each age could profit from those that had gone before." 2001: A Space Odyssey
    Arthur C. Clark