· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for your lovely words - have fun with your plant encyclopedia ;) - Fishalicious   

Default Understanding Bristlenose Albinos L144

0 Not allowed!
    I'm hoping someone can help me separate truth from rumor:

1. An Albino/Super Red cross will turn rose colored as it gets older.

2. The brown bristlenose albino has spots.

True or False?

In addition, Aquabid has Albino, Green Dragon Albino, Blue Eye Albino etc. with all different prices. Wouldn't all L144 albino's look the same? If a fish is labelled Albino only, what kind of albino is it?

Somewhere, years and years ago , I found an article that explained why albino fish can have a yellow or goldish color but I can't find it now. Does anyone know why they have color?

Some albino L144 are almost transparent. Why are they different from the yellowish/goldish color that I usually see for albino L144s?

Thanks for your help, folks.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - Hockey nut   Congrats on the baby Dupe - Silbar   No Message - ApistoJoe   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    It's all controlled by genetics and I don't know how one could be certain of what might show up in a particular breeding for some of them. BNP's are so easily crossed. In 4 spawns I had of an albino BNP male and a brown female, not one albino fry showed up out of maybe 60-70 fry. The fry were all brown and had some white spots and white edging around the fins, but this changed over time (I only kept one and sold the others, so can't know about all of them). But here is a different large brown BNP I had and there were no spots. And the other pic is of one of the fry crosses from the albino and brown BNP's
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by SueD; 11-19-2018 at 05:41 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You will win this battle against the nematodes. - RiversGirl   teacher/friend - marc4   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   

1 Not allowed!
    An albino parent and a brown parent would produce 100% brown offspring. 50% of those brown babies would possess an albino gene. But two recessive genes are required to express, so they will still always be brown unless your brown BN had one albino gene, but it doesn't look that way. Both my original brown BNs had one albino gene, so they produced 50% albino offspring. Having said that, I noticed the albino babies are the first to get eaten in a community tank since they stand out so much. The brown babies camouflage easier for protection.

My albino BNs have spots because they are not completely white. They are slightly yellow to orange, so the white (lighter) spots are visible. The spots would not be visible if the albino was pure white though obviously.

I'm not sure about the super red/albino cross becoming rosey colored as it matures, but it doesn't really make sense to me that they would. I have noticed that albino plecos sometimes look very orange, which is close to the color of super reds.

For example, here is my albino male in my 120g (as a young dude)
    20181027_123525.jpg
    I was always very impressed with his orange coloration, my other albinos have not turned this orange. It's either something in the tank, the fact that he's the only pleco in there, something he's eating or the lighting on that tank that gives him that orange glow I suspect. Maybe something with the genes, but I highly doubt it since his parents were brown and the others are not as orange.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill   Happy New year - Celtic Fins   May the Anti troll force be with you. - Celtic Fins   2001 posts! - Northernguy   For your helpful fry advice - Cliff   

1 Not allowed!
    I bred hundreds upon hundreds of BN a few years back. I even had a few (1-2 out of a litter of 50+, through several different litters) super reds turn up among some brown and albino's I'd been breeding for multiple generations before I got my super red stock from Germany. They were all housed in separate tanks, so the few that turned up among my domestic stock were apparently the same random combination that had produced the first ones in Germany a few years earlier. I never did line breed the brown or albino offspring further to see if they would also produce a few super reds.

^^^Please click the eggs/dragons, thanks...^^^^