· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

South Central Maryland- Washington DC Suburbs

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom   For your patience and tenacity! - Slaphppy7   

Default Motoro Stingray not eating and hiding in the sand.

0 Not allowed!
    I'm posting this here because I got no responses the last few days in the Stingray section.

The first day I placed my Ray in the tank I did not feed the Ray and left the light off for about 24 hours.
    Wednesday I feed the stingray one Blood worm cube around 8:30pm. I just dropped the cube in the tank and after about a minute the cube started breaking up. The Ray ate most the blood worm strings in a hour and few that were left were gone by 4:30am the next day.
    Thursday around 7:30pm I feed the Ray another Blood Worm cube. After about 2 hours the Ray may have only ate a few strings at most. Friday morning around 4:30am the Ray did not even touch one piece.
    I could not siphon up the food because the Aqueon water changer I have will not suck up water and will only add water for some reason. I will go by a Python water changer today and get up all food. Also I did not think of it earlier,but today I will test my tank.

Do you think letting the cube break up on its own the day before vs the next day moving it around with my hand letting it break up faster had anything to do with it? Any ideas?
    180 Gallon:
    1-Motoro Stingray
    1- Mantilla hybrid Stingray
    1- Black Henlei/Leopoldi hybrid Stingray
    1- 14" Spotted Gar

40 gallon Breeder grow out tank:
    1- 6 Tiger Shovelnose Catfish

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I did buy another Gravel cleaner. Got up most the food.

My water:
    Ammonia 0
    Nitrite 0
    PH 6.8-7.0

If I drop a few strings of Blood worms right next to the stingray it still will not eat. It also buries in the sand all the time. Not far into the sand but, in the sand.
    180 Gallon:
    1-Motoro Stingray
    1- 14" Spotted Gar

Latest gifts & ribbons:

hero to a crayfish - RiversGirl   

0 Not allowed!
    Can you post some pictures?
    It's better to have and not need then to need and not have; this is especially true when you're dealing with fish and you need itch medication.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

As you can see the few pieces of Blood Worms I put in it did not touch.
    180 Gallon:
    1-Motoro Stingray
    1- 14" Spotted Gar

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    image.jpg

Another picture

My PH is more like 6.6-6.8
    Last edited by freshwaterfishlover; 11-17-2018 at 05:20 PM.
    180 Gallon:
    1-Motoro Stingray
    1- 14" Spotted Gar

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    I notice you posted your Ammonia and Nitrite readings, and your pH reading, but not your nitrate reading. What is your level of nitrates in the tank?

How did you go about acclimating the stingray before adding it to the tank? Did it have the chance to acclimate adequately to its new environment?

Since I know nothing specifically about keeping stingrays, those are questions that would apply to any aquarium, and any aquarium creature being introduced into a new environment. They really could make a difference.

Another I could think of is what about its diet? Are there other, better things to feed it? For some reason, it is rejecting the food you're giving it. Could this food not be appropriate for it? Perhaps some research could shed some light on that.
    20 gal. high: planted; 5 white cloud minnows, 4 golden White Clouds, several RCS, 2 blue shrimp, 5 Amano shrimp, several snails; Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 6 rosy barbs, 6 yellow glofish, 3 red glofish, 3 zebra danios, 5 white cloud minnows, 3 dojo loaches, 6 crimson spot rainbow fish, 12 large Amano Shrimp, several snails; AC110.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    1. I just tested my Nitrite and its between 20-40ppm. Not exactly 40ppm,but closer to 40ppm then 20ppm. Will do a water change today.

2. Probably should of done a proper acclimation. All I did was leave the bag in the tank for 30 min before dumping the Ray in. Left the light off for 24 hours.

3. The store owner feed it some red seaweed kind of stuff when I was looking at the Ray. i was told the Ray was tank raised and been in his store for 2 months. He also said this Ray will eat pellets with no problem. The first day it ate frozen Blood worms with no problem,but the last 2 days it will not eat blood worms. Read online young Rays will eat frozen food no problem. When it gets older it will need live food. I will try and feed it ghost shrimp and see what happens.
    180 Gallon:
    1-Motoro Stingray
    1- 14" Spotted Gar

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - AmazonJoe   Congrats on guessing the DT. - Silbar   Merry Christmas! - RiversGirl   Thanks for the Rep, and welcome back ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   

1 Not allowed!
    Where's Crispy when you need him.
    When I go fishing I just throw sharp rocks in the water and wait for the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes that reason is you are stupid and make bad decisions.

I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
    Dear naps, sorry I hated you so much when I was a child... Love me

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by freshwaterfishlover View Post
    1. I just tested my Nitrite and its between 20-40ppm. Not exactly 40ppm,but closer to 40ppm then 20ppm. Will do a water change today.
    I assume you meant your NitrAte was between 20-40 ppm. Your earlier posted readings only showed Ammonia and NitrIte, both of which were zero. I am thinking the above is a typo ...?

You might want to consult with that store owner and find out what that red seaweed stuff is. If the ray is accustomed to eating it, it may benefit from continuing to receive it. See if the store owner can sell you some, or tell you where you can get it.

The best way to acclimate is to very slowly begin adding small amounts of the new tank's water into the bag with the water from the tank the creature came from, allowing it to gradually adjust. What I do is very gently pour out the water and the new fish from their bag into a clean empty bucket, so they have room to swim around. Then I begin adding tiny amounts of water from my tank, spacing these additions several minutes apart and keeping them small each time. I allow plenty of adjustment time in between each dosing with my own tank's water. Because they're in a bucket, the only light they're getting is from the room. When I do add them to the tank, I try to add them during a time when the aquarium light is off, and the timer won't be clicking it on for several hours.

Did the store owner tell you what the pH of the ray's original tank was? How closely does the pH in your tank match it? Does the temperature of your tank match the temperature of the store's tank in which he was housed?

Deviations from what the creature was accustomed to, even small ones, can sometimes send it into shock.

I would suggest lowering the nitrAtes in your tank and begin feeding the ray what it was getting at the store, if at all possible. It obviously doesn't like the bloodworms, and maybe they disagree with its system. Perhaps you can try other kinds of frozen fish food beside the bloodworms. Consult with the store owner to learn what kinds of pellets he or she was giving it. Live food might prove to be the better alternative.

Let's hope this resolves and you have a healthy and happy ray that begins eating, again. Going off its food is not a good sign.
    20 gal. high: planted; 5 white cloud minnows, 4 golden White Clouds, several RCS, 2 blue shrimp, 5 Amano shrimp, several snails; Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 6 rosy barbs, 6 yellow glofish, 3 red glofish, 3 zebra danios, 5 white cloud minnows, 3 dojo loaches, 6 crimson spot rainbow fish, 12 large Amano Shrimp, several snails; AC110.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I think the Ray maybe just getting used to the tank. I walked by and the Ray was swimming. As soon as it saw me it buried in the sand. I keep my tank at 78F

Yes I meant Nitrate. Will do a water Change, ask the owner what it feeds it and try feeding it Ghost Shrimp.
    180 Gallon:
    1-Motoro Stingray
    1- 14" Spotted Gar