User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for Sharing Your fish! - discusluv   

1 Not allowed!
    Your puppy in your avatar is beautiful!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's a betta for you. - Slaphppy7   For your oscar heimlich rescue :) - BluewaterBoof   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    nice that you are considering all that needs to be done. In my personal opinion I believe that shipping and dealing with un satisfied customers will be the biggest challenge. making things right with the customer will go a long way to grow your sales but at some point you just have to say no.

I wish you the very best.
    Brian

I wish I had a Fish Wish Dish.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for your lovely words - have fun with your plant encyclopedia ;) - Fishalicious   

1 Not allowed!
    Thank you, Brian.

When I started this I thought that my Customer Service experience would be sufficient for dealing with dissatisfied customers. The more I think about it the more I realize that all the phone and in person experience in the world doesn't prepare you for e-mail contacts. Every word in the email will be analyzed and must be written in such a way as to be completely clear. Your point has definitely got me thinking.

Thanks for your thoughts,

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Following! I love LF BNs! I love your journal as well, thanks for sharing your thoughts, plans and experiences with your breeding projects!
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for your lovely words - have fun with your plant encyclopedia ;) - Fishalicious   

Default JE - Planning a Room

0 Not allowed!
    One of my early decisions was where to put the tanks. I had a choice of scattering them throughout the house or taking over the dining room. The dining room seemed like a lot less work so it won out.

The room only has three walls. The fourth side is the pathway from the kitchen to the living room. This means no door to close. If I had a choice I definitely would choose a room with a door. (Reasons to be explained later.) Instead of a table, an overstuffed chair resides in the center. The tanks line two walls. The third wall will be used for fry tanks when I start breeding. There are benefits to this arrangement. I can sit in the chair, sipping tea and observing my "inventory" after feeding to make sure everyone is eating and note just what they are eating, how they are swimming, who's chasing who and check out the general health of each tank. You might mistake this for simply enjoying the fish but I'm sure it's business related. (Now, if I could just stop thinking of the fish as "my babies" it will be a lot easier to sell them.)

I wish I could say that I planned out my inventory, calculated the number of tanks I would need and chose a room to fit. My journey was the opposite. I chose the space, figured out how many tanks and gallons of water I might have, and planned my inventory around that. My max will be 176 gallons in 10 tanks, sized as a 30, 20s and 10s. The tank sizes are dictated by the fact that I have most of the tanks in storage, can easily reach into and keep them clean and don't have to buy stands for them. (I'm commandeering end-tables as I go. My husband has started grabbing furniture and saying "You can't have it!" I put on a yearning look - "But honey!" (batting eyelashes).

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    I've had a lot of comments about my avatar and want to take a moment to introduce you.

This is Cairo. He was my main man, my partner when we were doing competition Obedience trials. We lived together 24/7 and worked with each other for a few hours every day so we became a we bit close. He took first place at the 2007 GSDCA Nationals and always loved his work. He was ranked 4th in the nation that year. My avatar was taken at a trial when he had just gotten back from a very nice showing. In 2008 he retired and grew fat lazing around, playing fetch.

URO1,UCDX River vom Adel Haus CDX,RE, BN, CGC, HIT (a.k.a. Cairo) (2003 - 2014)

Thank you all for your compliments.
    Last edited by wbzorker; 11-19-2018 at 04:28 AM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Thank you for the intro, I have a close relationship with my baby Chelsea (13 year old Schnauzer), I understand what they mean to us. She is by far my absolute best friend. Your post brings a smile to my face, he is incredibly handsome. Congrats to him for winning all the comps.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's a betta for you. - Slaphppy7   For your oscar heimlich rescue :) - BluewaterBoof   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    I get rather envious of folks who have lots of room for tanks but it is cool you can work it out. Cairo reminds me a lot of my dads shep in the looks dept.
    Brian

I wish I had a Fish Wish Dish.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No arowanas or bichirs in the shop, so have a gourami instead - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Congratulations on winning POTM! - BluewaterBoof   

2 Not allowed!
    I've worked at a distribution facility for shipping fish and packed orders at aquarium stores.

Newspaper lined styrofoam boxes are your friend when it's below tropical temperatures. Depending on temperature and distance traveled 24, 36, and 48 heat packs are necessary. You'll have to consider the time if arrival, where it will be processed, if the box will be sitting overnight in a heated facility, etc, as to prevent cooking or freezing the fish. Tape the heat packs to the styrofoam lid red lines facing into the box.

Get bottled oxygen and fill every bag 75% minimum with it. A metal clamp will cost you an arm and a leg, but looks exceedingly professional and holds guaranteed versus rubberbands.

Don't feed fish for 32 hours (at least!) before shipping, this will keep DOA down. Regardless, add a small dimebag of zeolite to absorb any ammonia the fish might produce during shipping.

If you can afford to, give first time buyers a little somethinsomethin extra and you'll usually end up with repeat clients.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by bpete View Post
    I get rather envious of folks who have lots of room for tanks but it is cool you can work it out. Cairo reminds me a lot of my dads shep in the looks dept.
    I may not have as much room as you might think. The chair is a recliner but there isn't enough room to open the footrest. Some of the tanks are diagonal so that more tanks will fit. But so far, it works. I pull the chair out when I do maintenance and then put it back. lol