· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Question API FILSTAR XP-XL Canister Pros & Cons

1 Not allowed!
    Has anyone have any experience with this filter system? It used to be named the RENA filters till API bought the line of canister filters. I like the 4 basket for media design. The GPH also is not to bad at 450 GPH. Would like to know for those who have one or used one the RENA or the API what are the pros and cons of this filter system.

Thank you Bill

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Good luck with your goldfish tank - Silbar   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Birthday! - mermaidwannabe   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by BoxerBoy View Post
    Has anyone have any experience with this filter system? It used to be named the RENA filters till API bought the line of canister filters. I like the 4 basket for media design. The GPH also is not to bad at 450 GPH. Would like to know for those who have one or used one the RENA or the API what are the pros and cons of this filter system.

Thank you Bill
    Yes had it before API bought it-and cheaped it out. I also got one of the API-new ones, which is why I knew they cheaped out. First they have too many sponges, coars, medium and fine. This fills up with bacteria (good) but also gunk (bad) which can and will ultimately result in Nitrate spiked-well it did for me. Also the canister has something like 11 O-rings that are supposed to keep the air our, but my Rena was old and when I replaced the failing O-rings with the API replacements, the unit sucked in so much air on a daily basis that I had 2" of air on top and no filtration. Then when I bought a new API Filstar, the unit NEW did the same thing-sucking in air as it filtered until it stopped filtering because the buildup of air in the canister. For a similar price and a lot better filtration go look at the Eheim Classic canisters. Design is simple, minimal sponges and lost of room for bacterial or mechanical media-which are a lot (a LOT) easier to clean than sponges.

Plus water moves in linear fashion= less energy wasted on forcing water to U-bend with a powerful pump and more time for bacteria to process water before it rushes past them. Top sponge is optional (fine filter floss pad), blue sponge is coarse and I could get a year of use out of it before I replaced it.
    ai-909708-ClassicCanister.jpg

Filstar, water comes in and out at top so has to be forced through at high pressure. Sometimes high GPH does not = good filtration, plus look at the sponges, 4 of them plus the polishing pad at top! Eventually you cannot clean them and they can be expensive to replace.

alt_907338.jpg
    Two 5.5g- Shrimp tanks; 1st with Bloody Mary and Rose shrimp and 2nd with Blue Dream shrimp
    Two-55 gallon tubs, 1st w/ 1BN pleco male, 3 clown pleco, gouramis, kuhli and female betta; 2nd w/female BN pleco, albino, panda and pgymy corys, and male betta.
    One tub with 90% plants and one Diva-pea puffer.

75g-now the TUB tanks:
    5.5 G Shrimp Tanks
    75g-Goldfish Tank

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   Sending you a geophagus to  tank you for your analytical powers! - discusluv   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   

0 Not allowed!
    When it was owned by Rena, the quality was pretty good for the price, now that it isn't, the quality is hit and miss.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   Sending you a geophagus to  tank you for your analytical powers! - discusluv   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boundava View Post

Plus water moves in linear fashion= less energy wasted on forcing water to U-bend with a powerful pump and more time for bacteria to process water before it rushes past them. Top sponge is optional (fine filter floss pad), blue sponge is coarse and I could get a year of use out of it before I replaced it.
    ai-909708-ClassicCanister.jpg

Filstar, water comes in and out at top so has to be forced through at high pressure. Sometimes high GPH does not = good filtration, plus look at the sponges, 4 of them plus the polishing pad at top! Eventually you cannot clean them and they can be expensive to replace.

alt_907338.jpg

I don't think that the amount of energy is always wasted for that type of canister design. Look at the eheim 2750, g3, and g4 series. They use less energy (wattage) than the classics. If you think about it, the motor design of the classics haven't become more efficient as the newer series.