· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Thread: Swollen eye

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on winning the DT! - Silbar   Congrats on the Platy fry - Silbar   Congrats on the shrimp! - Silbar   I loved the vid - Silbar   sfsamm - Boundava   

Default Swollen eye

0 Not allowed!
    So my lady Congo tetra... Last night came home from work and my lady Congo has a swollen eye, appears to be an injury and she is acting fairly normal but she is keeping to herself a bit. Near her cohort the male but always with her swollen eye to the back of the tank and my Congos have always been a bit skiddish so I can't get a photo. Everyone else in the tank is colored and normal. No Ammonia or nitrIte, nitrAte tested at 20ish which is about right as water changes will be Saturday.
    I don't see any redness in the eye but it appears to be an injury as the back side of it almost appears to be torn or cut and there's a piece of skin or something like laying out.... It's bad enough I'll be surprised if she doesn't lose vision when it heals.

I'm wondering on others thoughts of pulling her into a smaller tank that is easier to wc frequently or leaving her where she is? My only available tank of she ends up needing meds is a 5g which is going to be exceptionally stressful for her so I don't want to do that yet since there's no redness or fuzzy bits. I can add her in one of my 20's which a 10g wc every couple days would make much more improvement in water than the 55. Thoughts?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

AC's defender from spammers! - Boundava   Thanks for the rep and support - Silbar   Happy Anniversary! - RiversGirl   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Not a blue one, but still a betta. Congratulations! - mermaidwannabe   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    IMO, just trying to net her out would be stressful...I'd keep the water clean, and watch and wait
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on winning the DT! - Silbar   Congrats on the Platy fry - Silbar   Congrats on the shrimp! - Silbar   I loved the vid - Silbar   sfsamm - Boundava   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    IMO, just trying to net her out would be stressful...I'd keep the water clean, and watch and wait
    That's basically how I feel too. Since getting online with the hobby, sometimes I get concerned my methods are a bit outdated lol. I always like a couple extra opinions on things when they happen :)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   Sending you a geophagus to  tank you for your analytical powers! - discusluv   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   

2 Not allowed!
    add 1 tablespoon of dissolved epsom salt per 10 gallons to reduce the swelling. Maintain the epsom salt dosage for 5 days. The last thing you want is for it to progress into a secondary bacterial infection.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocksor View Post
    add 1 tablespoon of dissolved epsom salt per 10 gallons to reduce the swelling. Maintain the epsom salt dosage for 5 days. The last thing you want is for it to progress into a secondary bacterial infection.
    I considered this but with the high gH in my water (15+) decided against it to prevent shooting my already 460+ at the tap TDS through the roof... Obviously I could still do so tonight if it's not going to stress the rest of the stock.... It's kind of a win/lose scenario unless I drop her in the 5g which is also a win/lose scenario....

I forgot I have to leave work early today to run a dog to the vet so I'll have some extra time and I'll go ahead and WC tonight while I wait for the dogs meds to kick in before vet visit. I can add some (maybe 5g) RODI to the tank to keep TDS down and add the Mg then.... That scenario wouldn't change anything in any significant fashion other than Ca:Mg ratio.... And could probably pull that off next week or two on a every other day WC for the tank also.

Think that would work to keep her eye swelling controlled a bit?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   You will win this battle against the nematodes. - RiversGirl   teacher/friend - marc4   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   

0 Not allowed!
    I just had to pipe in, I didn't even read everything yet, but I wish I had followed Rocksor's advice for my EB ram with a popeye injury. It started out barely protruding and a bit cloudy to looking awful and didn't end well either. I wish I had kept her in methylene blue for 7 days while she healed in a hospital tank. Just saying, I didn't think it was that serious.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   Sending you a geophagus to  tank you for your analytical powers! - discusluv   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by sfsamm View Post
    I considered this but with the high gH in my water (15+) decided against it to prevent shooting my already 460+ at the tap TDS through the roof... Obviously I could still do so tonight if it's not going to stress the rest of the stock.... It's kind of a win/lose scenario unless I drop her in the 5g which is also a win/lose scenario....

I forgot I have to leave work early today to run a dog to the vet so I'll have some extra time and I'll go ahead and WC tonight while I wait for the dogs meds to kick in before vet visit. I can add some (maybe 5g) RODI to the tank to keep TDS down and add the Mg then.... That scenario wouldn't change anything in any significant fashion other than Ca:Mg ratio.... And could probably pull that off next week or two on a every other day WC for the tank also.

Think that would work to keep her eye swelling controlled a bit?

460tds is nothing, and increasing it at that small dosage won't stress the fish out more. In fact, raising the TDS has the opposite effect by reducing stress. In stressful situations fish loss minerals faster, raising the TDS will prevent loss of minerals at a slower speed. Transshippers have found more success at shipping sensitive amazonian blackwater species by increasing the TDS value of water with salt to 2ppt.

I've raised the TDS of my tank to 900ppm (from around 450ppm) just using 1 teaspoon of salt per gallon for ich treatment (1st day dosage) and no issues, no rapid breathing.

You can spread out the dosage over the course of the day if you want.
    Last edited by Rocksor; 11-08-2018 at 08:09 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   You will win this battle against the nematodes. - RiversGirl   teacher/friend - marc4   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   

0 Not allowed!
    Ok I read it. My feelings is that a temporary higher TDS won't be harmful for her. I was also concerned about it when treating my sensitive EB ram with harder water, but I really feel it's important. I was advised to use Epsom Salts and Meth Blue in the hospital bin. I only did 30 minute baths twice a day, but I wished so bad I had just kept her in MB.

So many great results from using MB. It boots the immune, facilitates o2 absorption thru the gills, eliminates any poisons in the blood.....all the things you need to provide a great place for her to heal.

There was a member here who had an angel with popeye. She used Meth blue in a hospital bin for 10 days I think and it healed perfectly. The eye was already on a very bad state, it was nice to see the healing.

Whatever you do, I wish you the very best.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Alright well so long as it doesn't progress I'll just wc tonight and again Sunday and I'll add the Epsom salt for both WC. I feel better knowing that the sudden TDS change won't hurt gH the rest of them.

I may go ahead and give her a MB bath today if I can squeeze in the time just prophalactically... Depends on how stressed she seems when I do the wc as having a damaged eye netting her may just cause more issues with stress to actually get her as like I said before they are pretty skiddish anyway.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    That's why I wished I had just kept her in MB. I feel all the netting is stressful too. At least she'll get the salts to alleviate any pressure from fluid accumulation behind the socket.
    -Kat