· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Betta breeding

Latest gifts & ribbons:

hero to a crayfish - RiversGirl   

Question Betta breeding

0 Not allowed!
    Hi everyone. I just got two male vieltail bettas, Persia and Moscow, and I'll be getting some females for breeding in a couple weeks. How many females do I need per male? I have my bettas in 5-gallon tanks. Also, can you give me some pointers for successful betta breeding/ fry care?
    Thanks everyone!
    It's better to have and not need then to need and not have; this is especially true when you're dealing with fish and you need itch medication.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   

2 Not allowed!
    Not sure as i have never tried to breed the common betta (common as the one sold in most stores). I know you can't just throw the two together, as the female often winds up killing the slower moving male. This seems like a good guide:

https://modestfish.com/breeding-betta-fish-guide/
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Okay, thank you! I looked into betta breeding and now I've decide to get a couple more male bettas and three females. I'll need to get a tank divider. I have a limited budget and wanted to get a certain kind, but was wondering if anybody knew about this one;

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Grid-Divide...r=413492478319

Anyway, it doesn't specify the size of what tank they should be used in. I need to divide up two 5-gallons. Do these interlock to form different sizes?
    Thanks everyone.
    It's better to have and not need then to need and not have; this is especially true when you're dealing with fish and you need itch medication.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I've already sorted out about how many bettas and where they'll stay.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boundava View Post
    Not sure as i have never tried to breed the common betta (common as the one sold in most stores). I know you can't just throw the two together, as the female often winds up killing the slower moving male. This seems like a good guide:

https://modestfish.com/breeding-betta-fish-guide/
    If you are successful, what will you be doing with the offspring? The market is pretty saturated with bettas.
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I'll probably sell some online, but I'll be keeping a lot of the babies. I have a surplus of 1-5 gallon fish bowls. The 1-gallon, I think, is inhumane for bettas so it's only a temporary hospital tank for Persia.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    IMO and experience, 5 gallons is the minimum for bettas. I prefer 10 gallons and have had bettas in much larger tanks. They love it. I currently have a female in a 55 gallon tub-she has no issues using all of that space or sharing with her tub mates (hone-pearl-banded gouramis, espie rasboras, kuhli loaches, and BN plecos-maybe a few snails and shrimp too).

I recently had a male in a 55 tub as well and he loved it too (RIP Tony).
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    I see what you mean, and they won't be staying in 3-gallons for very long; only a couple weeks and then into ten gallon or maybe a divided 55-gallon they'll go.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's a betta for you. - Slaphppy7   For your oscar heimlich rescue :) - BluewaterBoof   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    I just wanted to toss in my two cents worth. I do not have much real world experience breeding Bettas but have tried to do a fair amount of study on it. I would suggest checking out a Betta specific book or two. from what i have gathered is you will want to make sure the female is in good breeding condition partly by making sure she has a varied diet with at least some fresh and live foods. if she is not ready the male will almost surely relentlessly chase her. even if she is ready you will want to be prepared to move her fast if things go badly. the male should build a bubble nest and breed with her. he will then be the sole guardian of the nest and she should be removed. also Bettas prefer their temps in the high 70's to low 80's so as far as having multiple tanks it may be easier and cheaper to heat the whole room than run individual heaters. study up and have a fun time with these lovely and unique fish.
    Brian

I wish I had a Fish Wish Dish.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks! Most of the tanks are in my family's living room (which stays fairly warm) and I do have a couple small heaters to use when needed. I am going to get seven or eight bettas, to live in large bowls and small tanks until the weather warms a bit. Then they are going to be moved into a divided 55-gallon long aquarium.
    But I do have a question; how do I tell when the female is ready for breeding? I mean, how big does she have to be to be considered "breeding age"?
    Thanks again. :)