· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Question HOB Filters Tidal 110 or Aqua Clear 110 ?

1 Not allowed!
    I was going to get a 75g aquarium but now have backed up to 60 gallon. I have had several HOB filters in the past 30 years as well as sump filters and canisters. I am looking into a HOB for this 60 gallon coming in the future. Both of the filters I have looked at are both made by company's that have been around
    this industry for years. They both are very close on GPH ratings and close in size and possible a smaller volumn one as a back up living up in the hills. Looking for feedback on these two filters as far a being quite and keeping the tank in excellent condition as well a doing constant water changes? In you opinion do you consider one better than the other and why? Feedback greatly appreciated.

Thanks Bill
    Last edited by BoxerBoy; 10-30-2018 at 10:46 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - ApistoJoe   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

3 Not allowed!
    I've added a Tidal 55 to a 25g tank and a Tidal 75 to my 40B tank over the past year. Previously, all of my hob's were Aqua Clears and I still have 4 of these running on other tanks. For me, the Tidal filters are superior to the AC's, both in construction and operation.

I've used AC filters for years and was happy with them But lately some of the issues I've had just started to really bug me. I've had issues with the AC's intakes not seating properly, the covers not fitting properly, having to start the impellers manually (even after cleaning) and I see minimal difference between low and high on the flow control. The leveler on the back of the filter falls off often (behind the tank, of course) when removing the filter for cleaning.

I find the plastic to be a higher grade on the Tidal than the AC - definitely for the media basket. The Tidal impeller and motor sits in the tank and primes itself when turned on and is stated as self-cleaning. The media basket is large to allow for whatever mix of mechanical/biological/chemical media you choose. It comes with sponge and Seachem's Matrix bio media. The flow control is much more flexible with a greater contrast from low to high. Along with the telescoping intake there is a skimmer at the top. And the leveler is a plastic screw which stays on - unless of course you unscrew it all the way. The stuff this draws out of my water is amazing.

Overall, I've been much happier with the Tidal filters. The AC's I still have running are doing their job and I'll be keeping them until they start having issues. But when necessary, I'll replace them with Tidals. At the time I bought mine, the smallest was the Tidal 55 but they've now come out with a Tidal 35. Given the power of the 55 and 75 I have, I think the 35 would be enough for my 20g tanks which now run AC50's.
    Last edited by SueD; 10-31-2018 at 03:02 AM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   

1 Not allowed!
    I agree. I have also had both, still have the Tidal. I would.never get an aqua clear again. I had three and two died within the first, year of use set up on a 10 and two 20 long. The tidal is on a 75 and I have no issues with it at all.
    5.5g- Shrimp tanks
    75 Gourami/Eel tank
    5g Salty Tank
    Fish room-*pending*

75 Gourami Tank

Fish Room
    Salty Tank

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Welcome Back! - Boundava   Here is a coral to tide you over until you decide what to get for your 40 - bpete   Sorry for the ich, you'll defeat it. - mch1984   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you both for your reviews on the two filters. I have been looking at the Tidal, but hadn't made the jump yet. Sue, all the things you mentioned with the AquaClears are all the reasons why I've been looking at other filters.

Quote Originally Posted by SueD View Post
    I've added a Tidal 55 to a 25g tank and a Tidal 75 to my 40B tank over the past year. Previously, all of my hob's were Aqua Clears and I still have 4 of these running on other tanks. For me, the Tidal filters are superior to the AC's, both in construction and operation.

Overall, I've been much happier with the Tidal filters. The AC's I still have running are doing their job and I'll be keeping them until they start having issues. But when necessary, I'll replace them with Tidals. At the time I bought mine, the smallest was the Tidal 55 but they've now come out with a Tidal 35. Given the power of the 55 and 75 I have, I think the 35 would be enough for my 20g tanks which now run AC50's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boundava View Post
    I agree. I have also had both, still have the Tidal. I would.never get an aqua clear again. I had three and two died within the first, year of use set up on a 10 and two 20 long. The tidal is on a 75 and I have no issues with it at all.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   

1 Not allowed!
    I forgot to mention how convenient it is that the lid is a tray for the media bin, so when you pull it out of the filter, you can attach it to the lid and walk it to the sink/counter without dripping filter water all over everything. So much more convenient than the Aqueon QF filter I also have hooked up to the same tank, I have to bring a bucket over when I have to do maintenance on the filter and I still wind up dripping around the tank as I pull the bags of media and sponges out of the filter

tidal-lid-tray.jpg

I want a HMF corner unit for the 125, but depending on the price for the filter setup and pump at Swiss Tropicals, I may just get two of the Tidal's instead.
    Last edited by Boundava; 10-31-2018 at 03:10 PM.
    5.5g- Shrimp tanks
    75 Gourami/Eel tank
    5g Salty Tank
    Fish room-*pending*

75 Gourami Tank

Fish Room
    Salty Tank

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by showmebutterfly View Post
    Thank you both for your reviews on the two filters. I have been looking at the Tidal, but hadn't made the jump yet. Sue, all the things you mentioned with the AquaClears are all the reasons why I've been looking at other filters.
    I have experienced all of the same issues with AquaClears that Sue had, and so have others. There was a thread last year that was discussing the shortcomings of the filters and whether or not they should be considered defective and unreliable given their tendency to seize up after being turned off, but a mod shut the thread down.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

3 Not allowed!
    Thanks you guys for the feedback. After all the youtube videos and now your input Aqua Clears will remain on the store shelf. The Tidal has some really good thought
    and look like a real quality product.

Thanks again Bill