· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

South Central Maryland- Washington DC Suburbs

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom   For your patience and tenacity! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Ow now I understand what your talking about. There the Nitrite tests. I just put the PH bottle there to show the exp date. It was said that maybe the bottles expired,but didn't
    180 Gallon:
    1-Motoro Stingray
    1- Mantilla hybrid Stingray
    1- Black Henlei/Leopoldi hybrid Stingray
    1- 14" Spotted Gar

40 gallon Breeder grow out tank:
    1- 6 Tiger Shovelnose Catfish

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

0 Not allowed!
    how are you cleaning your bottles and caps? Are you rinsing in tap water and drying the inside with a paper towel?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I rinse three times with tap water then shake the vial till no water sprays out. I'm going to test today with wiping down the inside first, but I down have this issue with the Ammonia and nitrate.
    180 Gallon:
    1-Motoro Stingray
    1- 14" Spotted Gar

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   

4 Not allowed!
    It's also important to rinse out the insides of the caps. When you shake the solutions, that liquid gets up inside of them, especially when you invert the tubes. Anything that isn't thoroughly rinsed and dried can cause contamination the next time you test, and can throw off your readings. The directions say to rinse the tubes, but they don't mention the caps. I think they should, as users might not think of it.
    20 gal. high: planted; 5 white cloud minnows, 4 golden White Clouds, several RCS, 2 blue shrimp, 5 Amano shrimp, several snails; Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 6 rosy barbs, 6 yellow glofish, 3 red glofish, 3 zebra danios, 5 white cloud minnows, 3 dojo loaches, 6 crimson spot rainbow fish, 12 large Amano Shrimp, several snails; AC110.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mermaidwannabe View Post
    In your one photo, I notice your blue and purple test tubes in the background behind the reagent bottle for the pH test. What's that story with that?
    I think that was to show the expiration date.

@freshwaterfishlover Do all the bottles have the same expiration date? My kh/gh kit wasn't passed expiration, I had to buy a new kh bottle. Sometimes you get a bum reagent solution.

Kind to think of it, someone else here had the same issue with nitrite not too long ago. The person also didn't fill the tubes to the correct 5ml level either. I would try exchanging it where you bought the kit if it's relatively new, or just buy a new nitrite tesy to compare. I replace my kit solutions that I run out of.

I hardly ever use my nitrite, I always miss it and it is always blue, but I haven't started a tank from scratch either since my first one.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    The Ammonia,Nitrite,Nitrate,PH and high PH all show a exp date of 04/2023. I can't say for sure if the Ammonia and Nitrate have the same problem,but I'm pretty sure it dosen't. I will thoroughly clean the vials,cap and wip the insides. If I still get the same problem I will buy a new Nitrite test.
    180 Gallon:
    1-Motoro Stingray
    1- 14" Spotted Gar

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    This cycle is just stressing me out. I came home and cleaned the vials very well as well as the caps. I also wiped the insides. All 3 Nitrite test I did came back dark blue. Some were between 0-.25. The Ammonia came back as .25 and Nitrate came back as 5.0 as the tap water has 5.0 Nitrate. I just can't understand this cycle. Frustrating me.
    180 Gallon:
    1-Motoro Stingray
    1- 14" Spotted Gar

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's a betta for you. - Slaphppy7   For your oscar heimlich rescue :) - BluewaterBoof   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    would it possibly be beneficial to rinse the tubes and caps in distilled water instead of tap water?
    Brian

I wish I had a Fish Wish Dish.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    This is frustrating me. I feel there could be 3 possible reasons why my cycle is not moving along.

1. I added to much food when I started cycling my tank and it has stalled for a while. My Ammonia has gone up and down,but never over 1ppm and I have not seen it above .50 for a few weeks. I don't know if the test are correct though.

2. I was adding the correct amount of food in the begining, but now because I cut back on the amount of food I add the Nitrite and ammonia is not going back up as high or not going up at all. How much food should you add to a 180 gallon?

3. My tank does not have enough filtration.

I try to add food every 3 days if it's below 1ppm. The first 2 weeks I did sprinkle food every 3 days from one side of the tank to the other. Then after changing about 50% water I only add like 5 flakes for like 2 1/2 weeks every 3 days and maybe for the last week I upped it to maybe 11 or 12 flakes every 3 days.

If I don't see any change by the weekend I'm going to buy a new scifun and try to get as much food out as possible. I know it's not cycled because my Nitrate is not above .50 that is coming from my tap.
    Last edited by freshwaterfishlover; 10-30-2018 at 08:59 PM.
    180 Gallon:
    1-Motoro Stingray
    1- 14" Spotted Gar

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Hi, If you suspect that your Nitrite test is possibly bad, maybe buying another test kit might help?

I've tested nitrites several times back-to-back to test the kit (same kit as yours, API freshwater master kit) and have gotten consistent results. I didn't completely dry the test tubes between tests; like you, I just shake all the tap water out after washing. My results were very consistent.

You are probably doing this already, but just in case, you not only have to shake the nitrite bottle #2, you also have to shake the test tube after adding bottle #2. See instructions. I shake them vigorously for 1 minute each. (I think the instructions mentions to shake one of them for 30 secs, but I can't remember so I shake both 1 min)

Anyway, good luck.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast