· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas to you and your family :-) - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you too! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Congrats! - Slaphppy7   

Smile Succulent Garden Project

5 Not allowed!
    I am in process of planting a succulent Garden in a section of my back yard and I thought I would share what am doing.

I had a landscape gardener dig up and add cactus soil and planting soil in the bed and mound soil for me to ensure good drainage.

My husband put in a reservoir and got a pump etc... for a recirculating water feature. It is a tall basalt- very natural looking column already drilled for a fountain.

Anyways, I just started with the border ( I am doing this part myself to save on labor costs), which will be at an s curve, with succulents. In between the pavers you see in photo will be this really great lime colored sedum.

Later, after border done , will be adding some boulders, taller Agaves, Echevarias, Grasses, Safari Sunset, etc and covering with rock.
    List of plants:

ECHEVERIA ELEGANS
    ECHEVERIA IMBRICATA
    ECHEVERIA COLORATA
    ECHEVARIA AGAVOIDES
    ECHEVARIA" BLUE SKY"
    EUPHORBIA STICKS ON FIRE
    KALANCHOE LUCIAE (THYRS)
    SEDUM RUPESTRE ANGELINA
    SEDUM ALBUM
    SEDUM "COPPERTONE"
    ALOE SPINOSISSIMA
    AGAVE ATT RAY OF LIGHT
    LEUCADENDRON SAFARI SUNSET
    HESPERALOE PARVIFLORA
    CAREX TESTACEA
    BOUTEL BLONDE AMBITION

These are the first pictures I have taken, I should of started with the before photo... really a mess.

Last edited by discusluv; 10-27-2018 at 10:07 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - ApistoJoe   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    That is going to look awesome - looks nice already. Any room for a small fish pond? Like guppies size, not Koi.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas to you and your family :-) - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you too! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Congrats! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Eventually, in the side yard, we are going to put in a Koi pond. It has always been my dream to do that, Koi are beautiful.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Really cool! You have just the right climate for it down there. My father had a bountiful cactus and succulent garden the whole time we were in southern California. Some of the cacti would bloom with bright colored flowers. He had rocks, and California poppies (state flower) in among the plantings, and an old bleached steer's skull which he had found in the desert and placed in this garden. There were tall succulents, compact ones, medium sized and cacti of all types except Saguaros, which grow way too tall for a home garden. There were Agaves, Chollas, Barrel cactus, Prickly Pear and others that I don't recall the names of.

You'll really enjoy your succulent garden. They are very unique looking plants.
    20 gal. high: planted; 5 white cloud minnows, 4 golden White Clouds, several RCS, 2 blue shrimp, 5 Amano shrimp, several snails; Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 6 rosy barbs, 6 yellow glofish, 3 red glofish, 3 zebra danios, 5 white cloud minnows, 3 dojo loaches, 6 crimson spot rainbow fish, 12 large Amano Shrimp, several snails; AC110.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

3 Not allowed!
    Agreed, I love the look of succulents and cacti, but i'm in the complete wrong area for that outside lol, as I watch some wet snow gently fall, so weird to see your backyard all pretty with foliage this time of year. It's beautiful! I absolutely love it!

I have recently became interested in plant table arrangements, namely succulents because they only have to be misted like this one
    268c78816a1f4376a47b2a084e224bf7.jpg
    But I'd probably scape it more like a tank lol.

You can even make tropical plant arrangements with a humidity tray underneath.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   Hope you had a wonderful day. - Taurus   HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

1 Not allowed!
    Your succulent garden is already looking terrific! Your plans sound like a delightful project. I'm excited to follow along on this! Thanks for sharing the adventures.
    Learn from yesterday
    Live for today
    Hope for tomorrow

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Yesterday the high was 82 degrees, this is about 5 degrees above normal. Its pretty much been in the 80's most of October. I am ready for some cooler weather!

When I was a florist I made plant arrangements like this. Succulents are so easy, just stick a cutting in soil and it will eventually root if drainage is good and not too wet. I also made succulent wedding bouquets, centerpieces, corsages, boutonnieres...

This experience is really what inspired me, but I still consulted some "expert" opinions on U-tube and various sites online. Planting in the landscape has some particular considerations, obviously.This is a video I watched that really gave me all the "How-to" info I needed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=Z5KCYrES51M

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    There's a book out by Robin Stockwell that's titled simply: SUCCULENTS, The Ultimate Guide to Choosing, Designing and Growing 200 Easy-Care Plants. You should be able to find it in any good quality bookstore or online.
    20 gal. high: planted; 5 white cloud minnows, 4 golden White Clouds, several RCS, 2 blue shrimp, 5 Amano shrimp, several snails; Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 6 rosy barbs, 6 yellow glofish, 3 red glofish, 3 zebra danios, 5 white cloud minnows, 3 dojo loaches, 6 crimson spot rainbow fish, 12 large Amano Shrimp, several snails; AC110.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mermaidwannabe View Post
    There's a book out by Robin Stockwell that's titled simply: SUCCULENTS, The Ultimate Guide to Choosing, Designing and Growing 200 Easy-Care Plants. You should be able to find it in any good quality bookstore or online.
    Thanks! Ill look for it :)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    My basalt column fountain is similar to the tallest one pictured here, but the one I ordered is narrower.

s-basaltcolumns.gif