· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Thread: Food Fight

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For luck with your son's recovery - Slaphppy7   Healing prayers for Henry - RiversGirl   DIY water chnager, nice job! - Slaphppy7   My heart goes out to you and your little boy.  He is so strong and so are you. - angelcraze2   Healing prayers for little Henry (superman) - Silbar   
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   

Default Food Fight

0 Not allowed!
    Hello all. I am going to bring back up a topic that I've already touched on before, serpae Tetras and zebra danios bullying cories over shrimp pellets.

Seems like the bullying goes in waves but I'm starting to see a lot of it again. I have tried the following...

Putting flakes at the top on one end of the tank and the pellets on the other. This seemed to work for a little bit but realistically the danios and serpae eat the food as fast as I can dump it in and then dart to the bottom for the pellets anyway.

Breaking the pellets up real fine- this seems to work somewhat for the bullying but results in a lot of floating food in the tank that doesn't look good and I'm sure increases the bio-load

I have tried feeding after dark(and as I type this I'm wondering if I don't need to go back to this as I think that may have helped the most

I have tried feeding whole pellets. Seems like one advantage to this is that rather than spreading out the cories stick together on one pellet and seem to have a little more strength in numbers type thing.

I think what I'm going to try for this week is feeding the flakes with the light in but the pellets after the tank is dark and leave then whole.

If there are any other recommendations out there I would gladly accept them! Thanks in advance!
    ~Pray for Henry~

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for Sharing Your fish! - discusluv   

0 Not allowed!
    Feeding your catfish at night is your best bet. The tetras and Danios will go right to sleep when it gets dark

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Merry Christmas - steeler58   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

2 Not allowed!
    Mine don't. I feed my ghost knife when lights are out and the tetras will still steal any types of pellet foods that I try to put in the tank unless I keep them distracted with other food.

OP, try some freeze-dried cubes of brine shrimp or tubifex worms. The cubes float at the surface and will give the swimmers something to keep them occupied while the cories go for the pellets. I also wouldn't worry about it too much. The cories sift through the substrate all the time anyway and feed off anything they can find. Even if they aren't able to munch on the pellets for extended periods of time, they are still consuming all the little bits and pieces of the pellets and flake foods that make their way to the bottom of the tank.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - Hockey nut   Congrats on the baby Dupe - Silbar   No Message - ApistoJoe   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    You could also try one of the gel foods, like repashy and add to the tank for bottom dwellers, while using flakes for the others. I haven't had much luck getting my fish to go for repashy, but others have.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You will win this battle against the nematodes. - RiversGirl   teacher/friend - marc4   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   

0 Not allowed!
    @SueD, I have to feed my angels little bite sized pieces of Repashy by hand. I break the gel into little pieces for the tetras and rams, and it gets released in the middle strata where they frenzy feed. For the plecos or cories, the Repashy can be poured on a rock or something to mimic natural grazing habits.

I feed my plecos at night, the angels and rams certainly hunt out the algae wafers, I have to turn out the lights completely, but they still can smell the food and are looking. So I make sure to sprinkle some small pellets on the water's surface to keep them looking up. My pleco wards off the other fish pretty well, but I try to place them in an area the other fish can't fit into, or well like my pleco's favorite stump. He gets enough, as long as your cories are a healthy weight, they should be fine. My fish steal food from eachother's mouths all the time lol.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For luck with your son's recovery - Slaphppy7   Healing prayers for Henry - RiversGirl   DIY water chnager, nice job! - Slaphppy7   My heart goes out to you and your little boy.  He is so strong and so are you. - angelcraze2   Healing prayers for little Henry (superman) - Silbar   
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   

0 Not allowed!
    Also just to clarify I think my post is less for concern about the cories getting enough to eat and more because the fighting results in fin nipping.
    ~Pray for Henry~

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You will win this battle against the nematodes. - RiversGirl   teacher/friend - marc4   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   

0 Not allowed!
    Are the cories being nipped? Like are their fins nipped/ripped?

I feed at night with no light and feed the angels/rams/tetras small pellets to distract.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by angelcraze2 View Post
    Are the cories being nipped? Like are their fins nipped/ripped?

I feed at night with no light and feed the angels/rams/tetras small pellets to distract.
    Yes the danios and tetras get them and it's almost always over food. And I always try to feed flakes on one end at top to distract them but the danios and tetras eat all the flakes in a couple minutes and then they instantly dart to the bottom and go for the pellets.
    ~Pray for Henry~

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Well, personally I don't fret over ripped fins, but I understand your concern. Cories are so gentle. The danios are being aggressive just like the serpeas? Is there a cave or something you can use to put the food for cories into?

I spinkle a bunch of small pellets to keep them busy, also keeping my hand above the water keeps them looking up. At the same time with my other hand, I feed my pleco in his stump area. Always the same spot. While the other fish are still looking up, and the food is all gone, I shut off the lights completely while they are chewing and hope for the best. My pleco is not nipped up, hopefully you would see less fin damage.
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 10-23-2018 at 06:48 PM.
    -Kat