Aquarium Forum
 


Menu
  · Tropical Fish Home
· Fish News
· Aquarium Forum
· Calculators
· Free Aquarium Ebook
· Feedback
· Photo gallery
· Plant species
· Tropica Plant DB
Tropical fish species
· By Common name
· By Scientific name
Tropical Marine fish
· By Common name
· By Scientific name

Articles
  · African Cichlids
· Algae Control
· Aquarium Decoration
· Aquarium Resources
· Aquatic Plants
· Barb Fish
· Betta Fish
· Breeding Fish
· Catfish
· Central American Cichlids
· Cichlids
· Clownfish
· Corals
· Corydoras Catfish
· Discus Fish
· Dwarf Cichlids
· Fish Diseases
· Frogs and Turtles
· Goby Fish
· Goldfish
· Gourami
· Invertebrates
· Jellyfish
· Killiefish
· Lake Victoria Cichlids
· Livebearers
· Malawi Cichlids
· Marine Aquariums
· Marine Aquarium Fish
· Other Fish
· Pleco
· Predatory Fish
· Photography
· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 16 of 16

Thread: GPH filter

  1. #11

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Quebec, CA
    Posts
    6,833

    Awards Showcase

    Latest gifts & ribbons:

    Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Me too^^^. I'm more concerned with how much bio space I have than flow. I actually wonder if a canister filter can have too much flow for the BB to process, similar to a UV filter. My fish don't appreciate a lot of flow either, I feel as long as there's optimal room for BB to set up house, my filters are doing what they are supposed to.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

  2. #12

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Nevada, USA
    Posts
    1,286

    Awards Showcase

    Latest gifts & ribbons:

    Congrats on the Platy fry - Silbar   Congrats on the shrimp! - Silbar   I loved the vid - Silbar   sfsamm - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

    Default


    1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocksor View Post
    Don't judge a filter by the GPH. The cascade has 5 media baskets, which is a lot of space for bio-media. The Filstar XP3 Large canister has the same GPH and only has 3 media baskets, and is rated up to 175g tank. The eheim 2217 is rated at 264gph and is rated at up to 160g tank. The eheim Pro 600 holds just a tad more media than the 2217 in 4 media baskets, but runs at 330gph for up to 160g tank.

    I've got a 240g tank, and never ran over 1000gph for canister filtration. I had a decently stocked tank running just an eheim 2028 and an eheim G160 (2075), a total of ~600gph with no issues with ammonia or nitrite. It was packed with bio-media since I was more concerned with ammonia to nitrate conversion versus mechanical filtration.
    I agree to a point... I like 10x turnover in my tanks but I generally run fairly full stocking levels. I have the additional filtration on my 55 from when I had the synos and why burn a cycled filter... But I will be pulling one of the hobs and won't bat an eye as the eheim 2217 is sufficient for the stock that will be there longterm. Anything under 50-55 gallons though I'm staunch in supporting 8-10x turnover rate. I also utilize a lot of sponge filtration for certain stock that flow can be problematic to curb the flow issue while increasing surface area.... Canister filtration does essentially the same. But for hob filter as sole filtration I don't believe 350gph is enough on a 180 no matter which way I turn that scenario and possible setups around in my head.

  3. #13

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    5,378

    Awards Showcase

    Latest gifts & ribbons:

    Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by angelcraze2 View Post
    Me too^^^. I'm more concerned with how much bio space I have than flow. I actually wonder if a canister filter can have too much flow for the BB to process, similar to a UV filter. My fish don't appreciate a lot of flow either, I feel as long as there's optimal room for BB to set up house, my filters are doing what they are supposed to.
    I know that the speed of the gph must have some relational value to the amount of media. The eheim 2217 and eheim G160 are a prime example of being able to support the same max size tank. The 2217 has lower gph flow and less media than the G160 which is running at 100gph more. Since they come from the same manufacturer, I'm sure they ran the same calculations of flow plus media to determine max supported tank size.

  4. #14

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Quebec, CA
    Posts
    6,833

    Awards Showcase

    Latest gifts & ribbons:

    Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

    Default


    1 Not allowed!
    All I know is that my aquaclear 70 has a 300 gph rating. My Eheim 2075 moves 330 per hour. The Eheim 2075 hands down has way more room for bio material, so it's able to filter more bioload.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

  5. #15

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Quebec, CA
    Posts
    6,833

    Awards Showcase

    Latest gifts & ribbons:

    Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocksor View Post
    I know that the speed of the gph must have some relational value to the amount of media. The eheim 2217 and eheim G160 are a prime example of being able to support the same max size tank. The 2217 has lower gph flow and less media than the G160 which is running at 100gph more. Since they come from the same manufacturer, I'm sure they ran the same calculations of flow plus media to determine max supported tank size.
    The 2217 is like almost 270 and and 2075 is 330 gph. My 2075 looks bigger with a square cavity, while my 2217 is round with no trays. The round design makes me think it flows better, along with the round input/output tube attachments. Not sure which one packs more media, but there's many things that influence how the flow is, or how the nitrifying is happening, you'd think.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

  6. #16

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    5,378

    Awards Showcase

    Latest gifts & ribbons:

    Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

    Default


    1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by angelcraze2 View Post
    The 2217 is like almost 270 and and 2075 is 330 gph. My 2075 looks bigger with a square cavity, while my 2217 is round with no trays. The round design makes me think it flows better, along with the round input/output tube attachments. Not sure which one packs more media, but there's many things that influence how the flow is, or how the nitrifying is happening, you'd think.

    I couldn't fit all the media (rings and spheres) from the 2075 into the 2217

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •