· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Guppies Dying!

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Guppies Dying!

0 Not allowed!
    Hello!
    3 of my Endler Guppies have died from a mysterious disease. I have three guppies left, and two are sick. They are in a 20 gallon tank that is about a month and a half old. I change the water out twice a week, and the ammonia, nitrates, and nitrites are all at zero. I have three otos and a dwarf gourami in the tank as well, and they are not sick (one oto has pop eye on one eye, but he had it long before I moved him to the 20 gallon tank, and the gourami has a small red lump on his mouth. He has had it for a while and it has gotten smaller and less red since I started giving him salt 'baths'). The guppy's symptoms are sitting at the bottom of the tank, 'sitting' at the top of the tank, and twirling around when they swim. I thought it was swim bladder, but apparently that is not contagious. I am feeding the fish a tiny pinch of food once or twice a day, but I have seen them pecking at the fuzzy white stuff growing on the driftwood. I read that the fuzzy stuff is harmless, so I am just leaving it there and waiting to see if it goes away after a while. The pH is about 8.5 or 9, and I haven't really tried to lower it as I heard that fish can be sensitive to changes in pH. Thanks so much!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

2 Not allowed!
    Sorry to hear of the troubles...a few questions

How did you cycle the tank?
    Were all of the fish added at the same time?
    What test kit and water conditioner do you use?

Dwarf gouramis can be aggressive, and are prone to disease...have you seen it harassing the other fish?
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for replying!

The tank hasn't fully cycled yet because the nitrite and nitrate levels have always been 0 so far. I have been testing the ammonia and doing water changes when the ammonia levels are high, but other than that I haven't really been doing anything.
    Originally, the tank had two guppies, the otos, and the gourami. I added them at the same time because they lived in a ten gallon and I wanted to move them to a larger tank. My parents aren't exactly happy with having fish all over the house, so I wanted to try to limit the time that we had two fish tanks. I planned on getting more guppies after the tank had cycled. One of the two original guppies died, and the remaining one was acting strangely. I thought it was because it was a schooling fish with nobody to school with, but it turns out that that fish was sick, too. I got four guppies to give the remaining one some friends to school with, and now they are all sick or dead.
    I use API for the tap water conditioner, ammonia testing, and nitrite/nitrate testing.
    The gourami sometimes lunges at the guppies, but I haven't seen him catch a guppy.
    Thanks!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

1 Not allowed!
    ammonia should not be higher than 0.25ppm after being tested with a liquid test.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by FishyNewbie View Post
    Thanks for replying!

The tank hasn't fully cycled yet because the nitrite and nitrate levels have always been 0 so far. I have been testing the ammonia and doing water changes when the ammonia levels are high, but other than that I haven't really been doing anything.
    Originally, the tank had two guppies, the otos, and the gourami. I added them at the same time because they lived in a ten gallon and I wanted to move them to a larger tank. My parents aren't exactly happy with having fish all over the house, so I wanted to try to limit the time that we had two fish tanks. I planned on getting more guppies after the tank had cycled. One of the two original guppies died, and the remaining one was acting strangely. I thought it was because it was a schooling fish with nobody to school with, but it turns out that that fish was sick, too. I got four guppies to give the remaining one some friends to school with, and now they are all sick or dead.
    I use API for the tap water conditioner, ammonia testing, and nitrite/nitrate testing.
    The gourami sometimes lunges at the guppies, but I haven't seen him catch a guppy.
    Thanks!
    Get yourself a liquid test kit, this is the one most of us use: https://www.amazon.com/API-FRESHWATE.../dp/B000255NCI

When you run out of the API conditioner, I suggest replacing it with this, the best one available, IMO: https://www.amazon.com/Seachem-11604...70_&dpSrc=srch

Be sure to read and follow the instructions here, for a fish-in cycle: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

3 Not allowed!
    Agree with everything so far, good advice.

Just some thoughts.
    Yes, the fuzz on the DW is harmless, your guppies will eat that, or it will just go away.

If your gourami is lunging at the tetras, he most probably is harming them when you're not looking. Fungus takes ahold of injury especially if circumstances permit like a bit of ammonia. So your first priority right now is getting that tank safe so that there is no discernable amount of ammonia. Pls read the link Slaphppy7 posted on cycling with fish, it's good info to keep in your mind. You can't really make fish feel better by treating them if the water quality is not ideal. Then we can try to help the fish along.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for replying.
    I have been testing the water frequently and doing water changes whenever there is any noticeable ammonia. I have a filter with a bio-wheel and a filter cartridge. I have only changed the filter cartridge, and I don't touch the bio-wheel. When I do water changes, I get the water out using a gravel vacuum. When I use the gravel vacuum, I make sure to not disturb the gravel. I used a little ph adjuster once when I first put the fish in, but after that, I decided not to fiddle with the ph. I know cycling with otos is a bad idea, but I had to because I could only keep one tank running at a time. I had to move them from my pre-cycled ten gallon to the new twenty gallon tank. Besides, the 'sensitive' otos are perfectly normal, but the 'hardy' guppies have died off.

To clarify what I meant by "doing nothing", as far as I know, there is nothing you can do to force bacteria to multiply, so besides water changes and bacteria supplement, all I have been doing is waiting for the bacteria to grow. I moved the gravel from my cycled ten gallon tank to my new twenty gallon to try to give the bacteria a kick start, but since then I have basically been waiting, doing water changes and tests, and waiting some more.

I know I started off with a lot of fish, but I made sure to test the ammonia with a liquid kit right from the start. It never got more than .25 ppm.

All the 'hardy' guppies have died. The gourami is currently acting strange. The 'sensitive' otos are happy and eating algae. The ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates are all 0 ppm.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Do you have a cycled 10 gallon going? You are trying to seed your new 20 gallon? Which fish are in each tank?

And sorry if i'm misunderstanding.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Thanks for responding!
    I had a cycled 10 gallon tank with two guppies, (I had three for a while, but one jumped out while I was cleaning the tank) three otos, and a gourami. I read that you need at least six guppies for them to be happy, so I went out and bought a twenty gallon long for them. My parents aren't big fans of fish, so I could only keep one tank at a time. I figured that the otos, guppies, and gourami would be do-able to cycle the tank if I checked the ammonia frequently and did lots of water changes. So I moved the fish and some wet gravel (for the bacteria) from the 10 gallon to the 20 gallon and then drained the 10 gallon. The guppies died after a while, and then I got four more guppies, who also died. So right now I have a drained 10 gallon tank and a 20 gallon long with one gourami and three otos.

Thank you again for replying!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Wet gravel contains very little beneficial bacteria (BB) compared to what the contents of your filter(s) will hold

Did you move the filter from the 10G to the 20G?