· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Guppies Dying!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   You will win this battle against the nematodes. - RiversGirl   teacher/friend - marc4   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry you lost all the guppies :( You may have transferred enough bacteria with fish. Is this tank planted?

Your otos are all ok still, and gourami has a red mark on his face? Are you still doing salt baths?
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    My ten gallon filter didn't have a bio-wheel or anything, just the filter cartridges which you have to replace. Also, the filter was only made for a ten gallon tank. I got on Amazon and bought a larger filter with both a bio-wheel and cartridge filter. The tank is planted with anubias nana. Most of the anubias nana plants are plants that I grew in my ten gallon tank, but I did go to the store and buy a new one.
    All the otos are sucking the driftwood and algae, and none of them are acting lethargic. However, one oto has had one blind eye since early spring. I recently noticed that the eye was popping out more than it should. I read that since otos are sensitive, salt baths are bad for them. I thought that since he had the eye for a while, and since the guppies were only dying recently, this wasn't connected.
    The gourami still has a red mark on his face. I stopped doing salt baths because while they made the swelling and redness decrease, they didn't make it go away completely. Should I start doing salt baths again and try to do them for a longer period of time?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   You will win this battle against the nematodes. - RiversGirl   teacher/friend - marc4   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   

0 Not allowed!
    Actually a picture would help a lot here. Just a snap with your phone makes it easier to know what we're dealing with.

Is the driftwood new or from the 10g?

The eye, i'm not sure. I would think if it was infected, it would have caused another problem by now. How long has he had the swollen eye? Did he have it when you got him? I agree, not necessarily connected with the red mark.
    How's the water testing today?
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

AC's defender from spammers! - Boundava   Thanks for the rep and support - Silbar   Happy Anniversary! - RiversGirl   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Not a blue one, but still a betta. Congratulations! - mermaidwannabe   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by FishyNewbie View Post
    My ten gallon filter didn't have a bio-wheel or anything, just the filter cartridges which you have to replace. Also, the filter was only made for a ten gallon tank. I got on Amazon and bought a larger filter with both a bio-wheel and cartridge filter. The tank is planted with anubias nana. Most of the anubias nana plants are plants that I grew in my ten gallon tank, but I did go to the store and buy a new one.
    All the otos are sucking the driftwood and algae, and none of them are acting lethargic. However, one oto has had one blind eye since early spring. I recently noticed that the eye was popping out more than it should. I read that since otos are sensitive, salt baths are bad for them. I thought that since he had the eye for a while, and since the guppies were only dying recently, this wasn't connected.
    The gourami still has a red mark on his face. I stopped doing salt baths because while they made the swelling and redness decrease, they didn't make it go away completely. Should I start doing salt baths again and try to do them for a longer period of time?
    You could have removed the sponge from the cartridges and placed them in the new filter, this would have transferred BB to the new filter

Using the liquid test kit, what are your current readings for ammonia, nitrIte, and nitrAte?
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers