· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on the Platy fry - Silbar   Congrats on the shrimp! - Silbar   I loved the vid - Silbar   sfsamm - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    I think the roots are fine also. I've kept pothos for years and I've had a dog get really really sick from it before. Never had issues with fish though even when they do nibble the roots.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    If there's any question at all about a plant being toxic, the best advice is to keep it out of the aquarium. Why gamble?
    20 gal. high: planted; 5 white cloud minnows, 4 golden White Clouds, several RCS, 2 blue shrimp, 5 Amano shrimp, several snails; Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 6 rosy barbs, 6 yellow glofish, 3 red glofish, 3 zebra danios, 5 white cloud minnows, 3 dojo loaches, 6 crimson spot rainbow fish, 12 large Amano Shrimp, several snails; AC110.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by sfsamm View Post
    I think the roots are fine also. I've kept pothos for years and I've had a dog get really really sick from it before. Never had issues with fish though even when they do nibble the roots.
    Oh no! Was your dog ok after?
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocksor View Post
    People have experienced either their dog or cat eating pothos leaves/stems and getting sick. I think some folks transferred that knowledge to it being poisonous to fish.

From my experience, pothos roots are not poisonous to fish. The sevs never touched any of the floating leaves.
    I saw my LFS had a pothos vine growing roots hanging across the top. It looked so cool in the small tank, just like overhanging vegetation in the amazon. In a large tank, it might look to small of scale to have the same effect, but I'd love that in my 120g. I started a couple ivy cuttings, not pothos, just some houseplant I got at the supermarket once. Why are pothos in particular so popular in aquaria? I use other houseplants too, am I playing with fire? Anything wrong with that if they grow?
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    I think it's wise to be careful about which houseplants we put into fish tanks. Not all of them are aquatic or will survive immersed in water for prolonged periods of time, and some really are poisonous and could leach toxins into the water or poison fish that nibble on them. I would say, if in doubt, don't. I really don't believe houseplants were meant to be put into aquaria, with some very few exceptions. Even if they grow underwater, they might still turn it into a toxic soup that could poison everything inside the tank. Even if the water stays clear, there could still be toxins in it from inappropriate plants.

A good rule of thumb to follow is that if it poisons land creatures, it could also poison aquatic life. Doesn't always hold true, but I wouldn't chance it.
    20 gal. high: planted; 5 white cloud minnows, 4 golden White Clouds, several RCS, 2 blue shrimp, 5 Amano shrimp, several snails; Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 6 rosy barbs, 6 yellow glofish, 3 red glofish, 3 zebra danios, 5 white cloud minnows, 3 dojo loaches, 6 crimson spot rainbow fish, 12 large Amano Shrimp, several snails; AC110.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Wow seriously? Just read up on English ivy. Apparently adults who cut back the plants are at risk for dermatitis. Interestingly, consumption induces a narcotic effect. Either way, eating any part of the plant could be toxic, so best to leave it out I guess. Pity because they grow so well out of aquariums.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by angelcraze2 View Post
    I saw my LFS had a pothos vine growing roots hanging across the top. It looked so cool in the small tank, just like overhanging vegetation in the amazon. In a large tank, it might look to small of scale to have the same effect, but I'd love that in my 120g. I started a couple ivy cuttings, not pothos, just some houseplant I got at the supermarket once. Why are pothos in particular so popular in aquaria? I use other houseplants too, am I playing with fire? Anything wrong with that if they grow?
    Pothos suck out nitrate quickly and are low light plants. Those who use it do not fully submerge the plant since it is not aquatic just, like lucky bamboo (dracena). There are many semiterrestrialplants out there you could use. Just find out what other aquarists, pondists, aquaponicists have used through trial and error.
    Last edited by Rocksor; 10-23-2018 at 08:12 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah, I found this https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/f....372786/page-3

Guess keeping houseplants growing immersed with just roots in is ok. I've had the english ivy growing on my Permanent Lymphocystis QT tank without any issues for 6 months now.

I even stuck my Croton 'Petra' in one of my tanks as it was falling above the heat register in its plant pot. It does amazingly in the tank, sends long roots and a beautifully leaved plant.

Most info pages say only the leaves and berries of ivy plants are toxic to animals if ingested.
    -Kat

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    @Nautilus291

Maybe try feeding the fish more food?

I keep goldfish and they used to eat (and dig up) whatever plants I have in the aquarium (no plants survived more than a week or 2) until I started to feed them more (usually 4x per day, sometimes 5-6x; and in larger amounts). It's been a few months with plants now and so far so good; they still nibble on the plants but they are co-existing (and they've totally stopped pulling the plants out of the gravel).