· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Merry Christmas - steeler58   Healing vibes.  Read and rest your fingers! - RiversGirl   

Default Bumble Bee Gobi and true biotope.

3 Not allowed!
    So it's been on my list of things to do for a very long time. Set up a bumble bee Gobi tank.

What is a issue for me is the the substrate. Seeing mine will be brackish would miracle reef mud work to make it look authentic enough to be a biotope for them??
    And what's the thoughts on it working?
    Last edited by mac; 10-19-2018 at 02:39 AM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! We miss you. - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Welcome Back! - Boundava   Here is a coral to tide you over until you decide what to get for your 40 - bpete   Sorry for the ich, you'll defeat it. - mch1984   

0 Not allowed!
    I don't know anything about miracle mud, but I had a couple bumblebee gobies for a while in my brackish tank. Mine wasn't set up as a biotope though.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    This could depend on the exact species of bumblebee goby you're keeping, and which environment you're trying to mimic. Yes, sometimes they're found over muddier substrates, but this isn't always the case, and in most instances isn't practical for an aquarium. Even when found in estuarine environments, some areas in this habitat could be described more as "sandy" than muddy, so you could opt for any sort of finer, sandier substrate.

I don't know how miracle mud might hold up in a display, having never used it, but by all means may be worth a shot if that's what you're going for.
    ~ Tim Smith

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Merry Christmas - steeler58   Healing vibes.  Read and rest your fingers! - RiversGirl   

0 Not allowed!
    Hey there,

A new face to the forum. Hello!!
    Quote Originally Posted by SalmonAfrica View Post
    This could depend on the exact species of bumblebee goby you're keeping, and which environment you're trying to mimic. Yes, sometimes they're found over muddier substrates, but this isn't always the case, and in most instances isn't practical for an aquarium. Even when found in estuarine environments, some areas in this habitat could be described more as "sandy" than muddy, so you could opt for any sort of finer, sandier substrate.

I don't know how miracle mud might hold up in a display, having never used it, but by all means may be worth a shot if that's what you're going for.
    Species wise that is going to be a little more tricky, seeing they will be ordered and nz importers know less than a new born baby.

So ideally it should be a common one like Brachygobius xanthozonus. I hope.

Reef mud is kinda far fetched idea. But in a way would be cool to set it up as close as possible to natural as can be.

Thank you very much for your help and ideas.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

5 Not allowed!
    So revive this thread from the dead.
    Half way there!

Need to go down to the river again and get some more small rocks and pebbles to make the substrate look more natural.
    Add some narrow leaf Java.
    And gradually add salt to the mix to get it up to brackishness to suit the bumbles.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! We miss you. - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Welcome Back! - Boundava   Here is a coral to tide you over until you decide what to get for your 40 - bpete   Sorry for the ich, you'll defeat it. - mch1984   

1 Not allowed!
    I like it! I love the little bumblebee gobies and I'm excited to watch this tank grow.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Good luck with your goldfish tank - Silbar   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Birthday! - mermaidwannabe   

2 Not allowed!
    I agree, I love bumbles and am planning a fiddler crab tank with maybe a couple of them. I had them a long time ago before I knew that they (big chain store) sold brackish fish as freshwater. After they died I learned why from a LFS owner.
    Two 5.5g- Shrimp tanks; 1st with Bloody Mary and Rose shrimp and 2nd with Blue Dream shrimp
    Two-55 gallon tubs, 1st w/ 1BN pleco male, 3 clown pleco, gouramis, kuhli and female betta; 2nd w/female BN pleco, albino, panda and pgymy corys, and male betta.
    One tub with 90% plants and one Diva-pea puffer.

75g-now the TUB tanks:
    5.5 G Shrimp Tanks
    75g-Goldfish Tank

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   For new fish ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas - steeler58   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Good luck on your exam! - Slaphppy7   

3 Not allowed!
    Great looking, natural aquascape. I dont know anything about Gobies, it will be nice to follow along and learn.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Video done for the new tank.
    Salinity is easy to set up and control.

Now just a matter of getting the gobies on order.