· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

Default Softening kibbles for Chelsea

5 Not allowed!
    My baby Chelsea
    January 15, 2018 33311 PM EST.jpg

She is 13 years old now and is my little rock. She gets me through so much and brings so much joy to my day. But poor Chelsea had to get some teeth removed last year. She still has some teeth, but I started adding water to her food to soften it because I was afraid she'd just swallow the small kibbles.

I add hot water, let it sit and absorb all the water. But I've been reading (at least for fish) soaking pellets and kibbles in water causes water soluable vitamins to be wasted. I've been doing it this way for a year now, but does anyone know of a better way to feed her her kibbles? I'm not interested in wet foods. The kibbles 100% absorb all the water, and even if they didn't, Chelsea would lick up the excess water. Does it matter if it's re-absorbed or she drinks all the water?
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's a betta for you. - Slaphppy7   For your oscar heimlich rescue :) - BluewaterBoof   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    what a cute pup there Angel. my mom has a schnauzer around the same age that had to have some teeth out. he is also almost deaf. I wish i had a good answer for your question.
    Brian

I wish I had a Fish Wish Dish.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    Thanks Brian! I can't even express how much I love her. She is healthy otherwise, just that breed is known to have problems teeth issues. I clean them and her whole mouth with salt and baking soda, dog toothpaste and this other gel stuff that's supposed to remove buildup, but she still lost some. The soft food causes stuff to build up even faster. Every day, she needs her teeth brushed, but at least she's ok with it.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas to You and Yours! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Win or lose, here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Cheers! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    Well, she certainly doesn't look unhappy or unhealthy.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - ApistoJoe   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

5 Not allowed!
    If she's still eating properly, not losing weight, and maintaining her usual health and personality I wouldn't worry about it. My Havanese also had issues with teeth, having a few removed several years ago (she's 15 now). I used to have them cleaned at the Vet, but haven't for more than a few years as she's aged. I'm not sure how many teeth are left in there but I'm not comfortable having her go under anesthesia now.

I've add water to her mix of hard and soft food over the past year on recommendation of my vet as her blood work showed an imbalance of electrolytes and she doesn't drink much water. She's got some age-related health issues, but they're unrelated to any lack of available vitamins. My brother feeds his 2 labs (about 6 yrs old) kibble with water and you would definitely not find them lacking in any nutrition .

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

3 Not allowed!
    Not a dog, but our oldest cat Sasha is 19, for the past few years she has been a trooper battling a hyperthyroid and getting dosed a phosphate remover to help save her kidneys. I water down her moist food a lot; she gets a 1/4 tsp of food with a tablespoon of water that has her dissolved meds. Then if she is good and licks her bowl clean I wash her bowl and giver her the rest of her can and fill the empty can with warm water that I fill her bowl with so her moist is almost like a soup. She will eat/drink it until no liquid is left and then wait for more liquid to be mixed in and eventually she eats it all up, or the other cats () do it for her. It doesn't seem to bother her nutritionally. She has lost a few teeth as well and gums some dry down once a day too. I use it to help fatten her up because she is a small cat of 6-7 lbs.
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's a betta for you. - Slaphppy7   For your oscar heimlich rescue :) - BluewaterBoof   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    I am glad to here she is still in good health. and I know what you mean about loving her. I have become pretty attached to my Moms dog since I have been taking care of him frequently. at this point I cannot keep a dog or cat because of my kids allergies.
    Brian

I wish I had a Fish Wish Dish.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Welcome Back! - Boundava   Here is a coral to tide you over until you decide what to get for your 40 - bpete   Sorry for the ich, you'll defeat it. - mch1984   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   

2 Not allowed!
    We've had our rescued 10 year old maltese, Pepper, for 2 years now. The rescue group had her teeth cleaned when they got her and I don't know if any teeth had to be pulled then. Last year at her teeth cleaning they had to pull 3 teeth. This year they had to pull 13 teeth. Our poor little girl is running out of teeth. Other than that she's perfectly healthy. We've started softening her dry food with warm water and mixing in a little canned food for her. If the canned food has been in the fridge, I'll put a little in a bowl and heat it a little in the microwave. She's not spoiled at all.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

4 Not allowed!
    Oh my what a trooper, 13 teeth! We spoil our pets so much, but they (usually) deserve it. I say usually cause my cat decided to play with my glasses last night, knocked them on the floor and I stepped on them this morning. Good thing I still had my old ones.
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Welcome Back! - Boundava   Here is a coral to tide you over until you decide what to get for your 40 - bpete   Sorry for the ich, you'll defeat it. - mch1984   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   

3 Not allowed!
    Yikes. Sorry about your glasses. I just got new ones not too long ago. I had them last then a week when our kitten decided they might be a chew toy. Luckily, there's only one fang mark in the upper left corner of my left lens. Those darn cats. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Boundava View Post
    Oh my what a trooper, 13 teeth! We spoil our pets so much, but they (usually) deserve it. I say usually cause my cat decided to play with my glasses last night, knocked them on the floor and I stepped on them this morning. Good thing I still had my old ones.