· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For luck with your son's recovery - Slaphppy7   Healing prayers for Henry - RiversGirl   DIY water chnager, nice job! - Slaphppy7   My heart goes out to you and your little boy.  He is so strong and so are you. - angelcraze2   Healing prayers for little Henry (superman) - Silbar   
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boundava View Post
    I thought it was one missing danio, what other fish are missing? The danio could have been injured when he got into the filter and it just progressed while you were away.

Most omnivores will scavenge dead fish-this can be detrimental if your fish dies from a disease and the other fish eat the infected fish. Food smells like food in the water; be it processed pellets or a dead fish. For some reason snails are usually left alone (unfortunately, because that is one way to quickly mess up a tank)
    Sorry, no it's just the one. But right before I went away for a few days my son and I watched one of the danios swim up inside one of my AC 50 filters. We were able to get it out after a few minutes of messing around. My suspicion is maybe that one was somehow hurt from the trauma of getting inside the filter, died and got eaten. It's the only thing I can think of really because otherwise they have all been very very healthy.
    ~Pray for Henry~

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boundava View Post
    Most omnivores will scavenge dead fish-this can be detrimental if your fish dies from a disease and the other fish eat the infected fish. Food smells like food in the water; be it processed pellets or a dead fish. For some reason snails are usually left alone (unfortunately, because that is one way to quickly mess up a tank)
    Yep^^I had an intestinal parasite (I'm 90% sure short of a microscope) in my permanent QT tank. I lost all my super blue kerri tetras to it except one that I still have today. I started with 17 and the number kept going down over the period of a few months. I don't think I ever found a kerri tetra body and I was keeping my eye on them. They were very tiny young fish, and I had a juvie BN pleco in there too. I started treating for internal parasites when my pleco started showing distress and clamping his tail fin. The last kerri tetra made it through, I didn't lose any gold tetras or my pleco luckily. Just made it obvious my pleco was eating the dead fish and got infected himself. After I treated they were all fine end that was like 6 months ago FYI. Just attesting to what Nat said about sick fish being eaten.

Hopefully it was due to injury that he passed, that's the most probable situation since the other fish are healthy.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    I agree, it was Mrs Peacock with the filter in the conservatory.
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For luck with your son's recovery - Slaphppy7   Healing prayers for Henry - RiversGirl   DIY water chnager, nice job! - Slaphppy7   My heart goes out to you and your little boy.  He is so strong and so are you. - angelcraze2   Healing prayers for little Henry (superman) - Silbar   
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   

0 Not allowed!
    So now I've been watching the tank for 15 minutes and I only see 7 danios...there should be 8. Is another one missing? This is crazy! Maybe they both swam up inside the filter and I'll find them in there? This all started when I added the second AC50
    ~Pray for Henry~

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    Just checked water parameters and ammonia looked even higher than yesterday. I'm going to change 50% of the water dose whole tank volume with prime again and skip feeds today and tomorrow for sure. Will continue doing that until it's back to zero. Wow. This has turned into quite the mess. Definitely changed too many variables at one time. Changed filters and then let my parents tend to the fish while I was gone for several days. Oh well all I can do now is change water and add prime daily till it's back to where it needs to be.
    ~Pray for Henry~

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Thinkgherr is a dead fish inside a filter causing this spike? I'm thinking about taking the filters off and not rincing the media but just taking it all apart to check for dead fish.
    ~Pray for Henry~

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

1 Not allowed!
    Why only 30% and 50% water changes? Is there something preventing you from doing a larger water change? The 30% was insufficient given that the ammonia readings are now higher than before, and a 50% water change is only marginally better and will more than likely just level the ammonia off as opposed to getting the upper hand. You really should do a large water change (70+%) if you want to drive the ammonia down enough to where you are making progress instead of just holding it steady or slowing its climb.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by BluewaterBoof View Post
    Why only 30% and 50% water changes? Is there something preventing you from doing a larger water change? The 30% was insufficient given that the ammonia readings are now higher than before, and a 50% water change is only marginally better and will more than likely just level the ammonia off as opposed to getting the upper hand. You really should do a large water change (70+%) if you want to drive the ammonia down enough to where you are making progress instead of just holding it steady or slowing its climb.
    The 30 % was all I had time for last night. I will do more tonight I'm just juggling trying to work from
    Home and take care of my 2 year old who has brain cancer.
    ~Pray for Henry~

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Well I'm in the middle of a 60% water change. That's all I can do because I only have 20 gallons of water available to use for the tank.

I did find one dead danio up inside the filter I have not found a second one. I'm sure this is adding tons of amonia to the tank also amongs the iverfeeding that was obviously done.
    ~Pray for Henry~

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

3 Not allowed!
    On second thought as I sit here filling this tank back up I see 8 danios again which would mean the only missing one was the one we found in the filter. I don't know what hiding place that other fish had that I couldn't find all day but it was a good one!
    ~Pray for Henry~