· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Water conditioners... confused by varying information from reputable sources

0 Not allowed!
    I've read some varying information in regards to water conditioners and need some clarification. I have had different answers regarding this question/topic, from experienced hobbyists and reputable sources. Please help.

I was watching a video from Aquarium Co-Op who claimed that standard water conditioners (the ones that don't temporarily neutralize Ammonia/Nitrite), create Ammonia when they break down chloramine found in some tap water. And thus, it is "required" to use a conditioner that neutralizes Ammonia if you have Chloramine in your tap. How true is this?

My logic of thinking is that the Bio-filtration (BB) in the tank will process any Ammonia that is created, thus negating the "issue". And I can't imagine that much Ammonia is created when Chloramine is broken down. I have Seachem Prime and Tetra AquaSafe Plus (which doesn't bond to Ammonia). I only use Prime in the event I see an Ammonia/Nitrite spike, and use the AquaSafe plus for normal water changes. I have Chloramine in my tap.

Also, when Seachem Prime bonds to the Ammonia for 24 hours, is Beneficial Bacteria able to consume that Ammonia? Or is the bacteria essentially being starved for those 24 hours?

I hope I worded everything okay. Reading it all back, it all sounds kinda awkward. The TL;DR is this- Some claim water conditioners break down Chloramine into Ammonia, and thus the water conditioner also needs to bond/neutralize the ammonia in order to prevent an Ammonia spike. This is coming from Cory at Aquarium CoOp, btw.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Belated Birthday! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    Welcome to the AC.

Read the FAQ section at the bottom of the page here: https://www.seachem.com/prime.php

Excerpt:

" Prime® does not remove ammonia, nitrite, or nitrate from the system. It simply binds with those compounds making them harmless to the inhabitants and still bioavailable to the beneficial bacteria."
    Last edited by Slaphppy7; 06-26-2020 at 01:34 PM.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    Welcome to the AC.

Read the FAQ section at the bottom of the page here: https://www.seachem.com/prime.php

Excerpt:

" Prime® does not remove ammonia, nitrite, or nitrate from the system. It simply binds with those compounds making them harmless to the inhabitants and still bioavailable to the beneficial bacteria."
    Okay so that answers the question of if the bacteria are starved when using Prime. But is it necessary to use a conditioner that binds to Ammonia when adding tap water that had Chloramine?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Belated Birthday! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    Yes, because chloramine minus chlorine = ammonia

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    Yes, because chloramine minus chlorine = ammonia
    Okay, I mean it makes sense. I have Seachem Prime, and the Tetra conditioner. Thank you

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    More than welcome.

I only use Prime, with 100% success rate, no need for other conditioners, IME.