· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

0 Not allowed!
    . .nope. .

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Ok
    Regarding internal parasites, it will indeed treat them. Something that people always forget, is that fish are constantly drinking the water they swim in. A tank with prazipro in it, will be ingested. It is a stronger target dosing to administer it in food, but to do so, you would need to acquire some praziquantel powder and mix it to the fod at the proper dosage.

Also, FWIW, Metronidazole and praziquantel are not equitable drugs. Praziquantel is a dewormer primarily, whereas metronidazole is a rather broad protozoacide.
    Any thoughts? Anyone or @Rocksor?

I'm sorry to keep tagging you, but I really trust your info. I really appreciate your advice :)

How do I treat against internal cestodes or trematodes? I'm assuming it's ok if I dose the water with PraziPro then? I don't have Praziquantel.
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 12-04-2018 at 09:49 PM.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   

1 Not allowed!
    Sorry to read you are still dealing with this. I cannot imagine the frustration not knowing what is going on with them.
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    No worries Nat. These are new fish in QT from the chain LFS. These days I assume all fish from the nurseries might have parasites. The fish are fine and I think I can save them. Just need to figure out what to treat them with.
    I wrote Hikari to find out if PraziPro works on internal parasites. I'll update when I get a response back.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   

0 Not allowed!
    Glad to hear
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by angelcraze2 View Post
    No worries Nat. These are new fish in QT from the chain LFS. These days I assume all fish from the nurseries might have parasites. The fish are fine and I think I can save them. Just need to figure out what to treat them with.
    I wrote Hikari to find out if PraziPro works on internal parasites. I'll update when I get a response back.
    Praziquental is in PraziPro. They (Hikari) do state it works on tapeworms (cestodes, missed this on the label) but no dosing for addition to a feed. Just follow their directions, and one treatment should be enough. Treating prazipro every 3-6 months for the life of the fish is rather useless after the first treatment unless the keeper introduces it through external means (fish, live feed, aquatic plants). Nematodes aka roundworms/hookworms are treated with levamisole or fenbendazole (flubendazole is a variant).
    Last edited by Rocksor; 12-06-2018 at 01:37 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    ^Great information!^
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks Rocksor. From what I can see, it's because PraziPro is liquid Praziquantel and there are no dosing instructions for a food soak. But apparently pure Praziquatel powder is ok to add to food and there are dosing instructions for that. But I already have PraziPro and think I'll dose the water after reading about how the med is absorbed internally thru the gills. I only plan to treat them once as a preventative, athough I do suspect they have an internal parasite and it's a probable situation. I'm most trying to figure out the best way to prophylactically treat new fish with the minimum amount of preventative meds and trying to avoid using Metro since it is also an antibiotic. At least that's what I think.....
    If I have to use it against possible Hex or other flagellates, I will though.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Message: I understand PraziPro is not recommended as a food soak. I think this is mainly because of dosage, and that pure praziquatel powder is needed to use in food. Praziquantel is bitter by nature so just adding it to a food without actually making something that it is mixed in to would likely be problematic. But is liquid prazi dosed in the water effective against internal parasites like cestodes and trematodes? Yes, flatworms and flukes can be treated with PraziPro. I read the fish are always drinking the water and that Prazipro gets ingested. I want to know because i'm QTing new fish and treating them prophylactically. Their poop is looking whitish. Is the poop stringy too? I am currently deworming them with Fenbendazole, I think I have to use Metronidazole as well, (as a preventative also?) but I want to get possible cestodes and trematodes as well. I do NOT want an infestation in the main tank! Been there done that. Pls help!
    Not the most helpful yet, but I answered their questions so we'll see if Metro is needed. At least they confirmed Prazipro is effective against internal parasites as well.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    antibiotics are fine as long as you use the full dosage for the period of time. It's when you skimp on the dosage and reduce the time that you have a much greater chance at causing immunity