· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for that explanation, it makes sense. One of them got stuck in the net. I read they have this hook thing used in for breeding, I read about it afterward and apparently you don't want that to happen because if damaged, they can't breed. But I know now I was too rough with them I think. I think I actually ripped the fin right off now with a stupid net after the MB bath I'm gonna continue to watch and keep everything pristine. IAL for good measure.

Regarding the one with the locomotion problem, I only noticed it when I made that 1st vid on the 14th. I brought them home on the 2nd. I don't feel he has trouble getting away, and doesn't really seem to lack strength to me, but I will watch for that in particular. They all eat really well as they always have.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    @discusluv I really think you were correct. I did accidentally rip the bottom of his tail fin off where the 1st injury was. I can see scar tissue at the edge, but it looks ok to heal. The other tetra with the locomotion issue is still moving the same, but he bolts when he has to, like when another tetra does that bashing thing they do to eachother. Very odd. I'll be mediating for internal parasites with Prazi and later epsom salts in the food. I'll be deworming with Fenbendazole laced food 3 times to be sure anyway as a precaution before introducing to my 120g anyway, but I was just wondering. Thanks so much, now I know for the next time.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Little Hog

3 Not allowed!
    I still haven't commenced prophylactic treatment for these guys, but the locomotion issue luckily seems to have corrected itself with no casualties. Also I believe you were absolutely correct @discusluv, the flame tetra with the ripped caudal fin is growing back nicely with a bit of white scar tissue.

I took a little vid last night, I fed them a couple 1mm pellets, bigger than their usual. They went crazy like they always do with food and gobbled up everything in 5 seconds (not exagerating). But this little dude was having trouble keeping it in his mouth and chewing

Notice how the other tetras eat up all the chewed pellet pieces and how he hogs the food!
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 11-02-2018 at 06:00 PM.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    So I have finally commenced deworming the tetras. I've been watching their poop and it is kinda white and stringy. I have one more day to feed Fenbendazole.

Then @Rocksor, is it enough to dose PraziPro next week and then feed Fenben again the week after? I forgot to add epsom salts to the fenben food, so should I feed epsom the week after that?

Would that cover all the internal parasites? Do I have to use PraziPro, or does it mainly help only with external parasites? It's what I read....
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

1 Not allowed!
    For internal parasites,

Epsom salt solution + fenben in gel food

Epsom salt solution + metro (sometime after) in gel food

Levamisole (optional - I still do this)

I don't see directions for administering praziquantel as a feed, and Prazipro only states that it treats certain external parasites.
    Last edited by Rocksor; 12-04-2018 at 08:21 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks, that's what I saw as well, that Prazi in the water doesn't really help with internal issues. Do I have to use Metro in food, or is the epsom salts enough? I really don't like using antibiotics..... but I really don't want to take a chance of bringing anything into my system ever again.

Am I missing treating for anything internal? I read Prazi was effective against cestodes and trematodes, but not nematodes, which is what the fenben is for. @Rocksor Why do you treat with Levamisole? Is this in place of feeding Fenben, or an added treatment? I read you use Levamisole twice in QT.

I think it's too late for the epsom Salts in the fenben food, I already made it and forgot. Can I just feed the epsom salts later to prevent Hex? Or are the Epsom salts for some other internal parasite as well? I know it acts as a laxative for the fish to help them expel parasites ;)
    What are your thoughts? And tx!
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 12-04-2018 at 08:38 PM.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

1 Not allowed!
    levamisole is just in case the fish didn't get enough febendazole or won't eat the gel food. I use levamisole twice to cover the lifecycle of the worms.

metro treats internal parasitic protozoan in the gut that is not treated by fenben, and is made more effective when used in conjunction with epsom salt solution

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Boooo, I thought I could feed Epsom salts in place of using metro. Oh well, I will use it if I have to. I was going to bring it to the pharmacy because I thought I'd never use it again. Glad I didn't I guess.

So i'm worried they might have internal parasites, but not neccessarily callamanus, because I never noticed white stringy poop with nematodes. Do you have any idea what it could be @Rocksor?
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 12-04-2018 at 08:46 PM.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Without a microscope smear, it would be hard to tell

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocksor View Post
    Without a microscope smear, it would be hard to tell
    Lol, I still didn't get a microscope. Do you have one? Just curious..... you don't have to answer.
    -Kat