· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Tiger Barb advices !!!!!

0 Not allowed!
    Hello guys

I am planning on adding some tiger barbs to my 65-gallon long (240 lt) fish tank.

Currently, I have:

1 pleco (max 10 cm)
    5 Black mollies (1 male 4 females)
    8 neon tetras

I have a cycled tank with live plants around it, stones, and driftwood, I did make sure there is enough swimming spaces as well as hiding places for the fishes.

I did my homework on researching info about tiger barbs, they seem to be active, hardy fishes and beautiful of course. I would like to add at least 15 (10 normal and 5 green) I read that are semi-aggressive fishes and should not be kept with other fishes, on the other hand if you have a good amount of them they should do fine with other species.

I am a little bit confused.

But I will appreciate different opinions and experiences.

Questions!

1. should I remove my mollies and tetras before adding the tiger barbs?
    2. My PH level is always 8.0 (tap and aquarium water) is that too high? I'm just glad is stable.
    3. Concerning my tank size, could I add more tiger barbs? guess depending if I have to get rid of my mollies and tetras. What would be a good amount in both cases? (if they stay or they leave)

Thank you so much for your help!! Is well appreciated.

extra Info: If my mollies and tetra would leave I have already found a new home, but I rather keep them if possible.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   For new fish ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas - steeler58   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Good luck on your exam! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    I have never kept Tiger Barbs, but here are some reputable resources that may give you the information you need to make up your mind:

https://www.seriouslyfish.com/specie...rus-tetrazona/
    http://www.fishbase.org/summary/4766
    http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/barbs/tigerbarb.php

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas back at you ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Congrats on the new fish ;-) - steeler58   
    Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Silbar   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Silbar   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - Silbar   

1 Not allowed!
    I know that Tiger Barbs can be semi aggressive but when I had 6 of them in my 75G community tank they got along well and I did not notice any aggression. Every experience is different. For example, some bettas get along well with other fish and some do not. Another example is that a few of my green neons ate my RCS while other people have not had this problem. You could try them and see what happens for you. Knowing that they could be a bit aggressive you should have a backup plan.
    Sil's 2nd Time Around 75G...Journal
    Sil's 75G...Journal
    Sil's 20L...Journal
    Sil's 10G...Journal

RIP Deb, we miss you.

Real courage is moving forward when the outcome is uncertain~~Fortune Cookie

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Notice there's only ONE candle? Easy blowing, easy wishing. May your dreams come true. - mermaidwannabe   First round is on me, Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Another beer to help make up missing your birthday. - gadget228   Happy Birthday - Taurus   Hope you had a great Birthday! - discusluv   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    https://www.seriouslyfish.com/specie...rus-tetrazona/

Pay particular attention to the "Behaviour and Compatibility" section

That's a big tank to have so few fish currently present, how long has it been set up?
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers