· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For luck with your cycle. - Slaphppy7   Have a tetra, glad your here ;-) - steeler58   They didn't have an eel so here's a foxface haha - BluewaterBoof   

0 Not allowed!
    Check this one out from ebay. I would run it just like you would for salt maybe minus the socks. Although I don't think they would hurt a fresh water and would just supply you with some mechanical filtration. Obviously you wont run a skimmer on a fresh water, but do some research on appropriately sized skimmers for a 75 gallon. I would look at 10 of them and get the average foot print of them. Then when you set that baffle you can leave yourself enough room for a skimmer in the future. The Middle chamber is the refugium and wont hurt to leave empty and just have water flow through it. The last chamber is the return and do the same as the skimmer. Leave enough room for a bigger return when you switch. Most product give dimensions so you can leave yourself enough room for future salty equipment.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sump-Kit-Re...j3Lm:rk:1:pf:0

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For luck with your cycle. - Slaphppy7   Have a tetra, glad your here ;-) - steeler58   They didn't have an eel so here's a foxface haha - BluewaterBoof   

0 Not allowed!
    On the refugium section, I plan on setting up a new sump for my fresh 180 and am going to run a refugium. You could hang a light over it and put some quick growing plant in there to help the display be healthier. Just a thought, you could go either way with that section.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    That kit looks nice, but I'll be making my own baffles as monkeys a bit tight

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    That works too. I would still leave enough room in the first section for a skimmer down the road, and have a refugium section in the middle. Down the road you decide to switch you can add a CPR filter sock holder if you decide to go filter socks.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    So filter socks not recommended for freshwater?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I've never really thought about it but I can't imagine it hurting anything. Freshwater still usually runs some kind of mechanical filtration so I guess a sock would work just has good as anything else.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Because as I researched about sumps, it's always ideal to have some sort of mechanical filtering before the bio balls

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   You will win this battle against the nematodes. - RiversGirl   teacher/friend - marc4   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   

0 Not allowed!
    Idk, but those bio balls get gucked up quickly. Your statement makes sense.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I also was thinking of filling up the middle portion with some sort of media to grow plants as that would be beneficial for nitrate removal I've seen some setups like that but I cannot find the picture I took of the one I saw like no other I've seen before.. I'll have to do some more digging in my archives of photos lol