· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For luck with your son's recovery - Slaphppy7   Healing prayers for Henry - RiversGirl   DIY water chnager, nice job! - Slaphppy7   My heart goes out to you and your little boy.  He is so strong and so are you. - angelcraze2   Healing prayers for little Henry (superman) - Silbar   
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   

Default Introducing a new filter to the 38 gallon.

0 Not allowed!
    Introducing a new AC 50 in place of a QF 10 in my 38 gallon...

One way I can think to do this is to take as much of the media from the QF 10 as possible put it in the new filter and then closely monitor parameters for a week. The downside to this is I'm about to be at the hospital for 5-6 days straight so monitoring parameters may not be realistic...

Just wait u til a week when I'll be available to watch parameters?
    ~Pray for Henry~

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    Leave things alone until you're back home to monitor
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For luck with your son's recovery - Slaphppy7   Healing prayers for Henry - RiversGirl   DIY water chnager, nice job! - Slaphppy7   My heart goes out to you and your little boy.  He is so strong and so are you. - angelcraze2   Healing prayers for little Henry (superman) - Silbar   
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    Leave things alone until you're back home to monitor
    Why do I always read your posts after doing things. I swapped it this evening. Got every bit of the fiber mesh from the filter in the QF10 and the 4 bio rings from it into the AC 50. I'll be home tomorrow so I can check it then possibly Friday too.
    ~Pray for Henry~

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome back! - Slaphppy7   Celebrating your amazing restoration work! - showmebutterfly   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    You could keep the other filter running with whatever you have left as a safety measure. That is if there was any media left in it, if not you should be fine.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nautilus291 View Post
    You could keep the other filter running with whatever you have left as a safety measure. That is if there was any media left in it, if not you should be fine.
    I literally got all of it other than the carbon that was in the old filter cartridge. I cut all the mesh off of it and put it in the new.
    ~Pray for Henry~

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    So based on my reading if you turn down the flow on an AquaClear the flow is reduced but the filtration remains the same because it just recycles the same water that's in the filter back through the media again. That being said any disadvantages to a reduced flow? Right now I have one on full flow and one that's greatly reduced because the danios like water movement but the serpaes don't and I have Some tall plants by the one that don't like the flow either
    ~Pray for Henry~

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

2 Not allowed!
    Reduced mechanical filtration. The speed at which water flows through the filter media will determine how fast it will removed any floating particles that cannot pass through the filter. The processing of ammonia and nitrite shouldn't be affected if you are not overstocked.
    Last edited by Rocksor; 10-11-2018 at 01:39 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mspringer View Post
    So based on my reading if you turn down the flow on an AquaClear the flow is reduced but the filtration remains the same because it just recycles the same water that's in the filter back through the media again. That being said any disadvantages to a reduced flow? Right now I have one on full flow and one that's greatly reduced because the danios like water movement but the serpaes don't and I have Some tall plants by the one that don't like the flow either
    There's no disadvantage to reduced flow that I can think of...maybe a little less surface agitation, but nothing significant would be my guess

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    There's no disadvantage to reduced flow that I can think of...maybe a little less surface agitation, but nothing significant would be my guess
    That was my take on it from what I read.

Considering danios supposedly like moving water but serpaes don't what flow rate do you suggest? Both filters are on the left side of the aquarium in the back so there's quite a bit of water movement on that side currently. Right now I have the one that's more towards the middle going at full flow and the one clear on the left side at about half.
    ~Pray for Henry~

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I would have them at opposite ends of the tank.

You'll just have to play with the flow until you like the results