· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Black Moor seems sad and/or tired

0 Not allowed!
    I bought Ludovico the first week of January 2018. He was tiny and his bug eyes hadnít grown in yet. Heís always been very happy seeming, swimming all around and nibbling at the rocks and plants. Heís now got beautiful bug eyes and heís grown probably 2 to 3 times his original size. He is alone in a 10 gallon tank (sometime next spring I plan on moving him to a 20 gallon or maybe even a 30 if I decide I want another black moor goldfish). I work a lot and have a very active social life so maybe Iím only noticing things more now cause Iíve been home a lot more lately, but heís been prone to hanging out very still at the top of the tank just below the water line (more so at night) or on the bottom in his gravel (more so during the day). He doesnít do this for very long but heís been doing it frequently enough that Iím starting to worry something is wrong.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - RiversGirl   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   First round is on me, Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy late B-day to you ;-) - steeler58   

1 Not allowed!
    The first thing I would suggest is testing your water for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates and if they are present I would do a water change or two to get them under control. There shouldn't be any ammonia or nitrite and nitrates should be kept to 20 ppm or less. You'll need some test kits and I would recommend getting one of these.

https://www.amazon.com/API-FRESHWATE.../dp/B000255NCI

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's a betta for you. - Slaphppy7   For your oscar heimlich rescue :) - BluewaterBoof   

1 Not allowed!
    good point on the water testing. I would also like to throw in the possibility that he is just getting less active as he matures. Moors have never seemed that active to me. is he showing any other signs of illness such as loss of appetite or any parasites? what kind of filtration do you run on the 10?
    Brian

I wish I had a Fish Wish Dish.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Sorry, I'm out of milk...it went sour - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - RiversGirl   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   

1 Not allowed!
    If he's hanging listless just below the surface there may be an issue with ammonia or insufficient oxygen. Watch his mouth and his gills. Does he seem to be struggling to breathe?

It's good that you'll be upgrading to a larger tank. Ten gallons is way too small for a goldfish. The advice the others have given you is good. I would suggest following it.
    20 gal. high: planted; 5 white cloud minnows, 4 golden White Clouds, several RCS, 2 blue shrimp, 5 Amano shrimp, several snails; Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 6 rosy barbs, 6 yellow glofish, 3 red glofish, 3 zebra danios, 5 white cloud minnows, 3 dojo loaches, 6 crimson spot rainbow fish, 12 large Amano Shrimp, several snails; AC110.