· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

welcome to the community! - mojosodope   Welcome to AC - you have some great discus photos! - ~firefly~   Great advice you have Judi ;-) - steeler58   

Default Who is the single greatest male rock icon of all time ? !!

2 Not allowed!
    One might possibly give the nod to Elvis Presley, but he's certainly not anywhere near the longest-lasting - therefore not the greatest, IMO

My choice is:

NEIL DIAMOND

Other options - what are your thoughts ?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on the Platy fry - Silbar   Congrats on the shrimp! - Silbar   I loved the vid - Silbar   sfsamm - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    I don't like Elvis lol, I'd go with Neil over Elvis any day

Gods Country, Eastern High Sierras, California

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

To new fish! - Slaphppy7   Second round ;) - Slaphppy7   It's a hot toddy. - Taurus   Here's to the "blue ribbon" tetra! - Slaphppy7   Hope you had a happy birthday! We are both March babies :) - discusluv   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    Interesting thread, though how you can't like Elvis.........

Since we are talking Rock and Elvis is out; I'll go with Paul McCartney
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

“Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.” ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

welcome to the community! - mojosodope   Welcome to AC - you have some great discus photos! - ~firefly~   Great advice you have Judi ;-) - steeler58   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by steeler58 View Post
    Interesting thread, though how you can't like Elvis.........

Since we are talking Rock and Elvis is out; I'll go with Paul McCartney

I don't normally have any valid reason to disagree with you Steeler, but really - Paul McCartney ? C'mon -

On his own, he never had the top hits that Diamond had, nor the lasting fan impact on his repertoire 0f songs.
    (If I remember right, Neil had 40 top hits, or something close to that).

But hey, you're entitled to your opinion.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

To new fish! - Slaphppy7   Second round ;) - Slaphppy7   It's a hot toddy. - Taurus   Here's to the "blue ribbon" tetra! - Slaphppy7   Hope you had a happy birthday! We are both March babies :) - discusluv   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Well I thought we were going on longevity mostly, but if you want to talk about song writing; vocals, McCartney was ranked the 11th greatest singer of all time by Rolling Stone, voted the 8th greatest singer ever by NME readers and number 10 by Music Radar readers in the list of "the 30 greatest lead singers of all time". He is known for his belting power, versatility and wide tenor vocal range, spanning over four octaves; ability to play almost any musical instrument, including considered one of the top bass guitarists of all time, sure I'll put him up there with anybody ;-)
    Last edited by steeler58; 10-09-2018 at 01:46 AM.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    -Vince Lombardi

“Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.” ― John Wooden

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by steeler58 View Post
    Well I thought we were going on longevity mostly, but if you want to talk about song writing; vocals, McCartney was ranked the 11th greatest singer of all time by Rolling Stone, voted the 8th greatest singer ever by NME readers and number 10 by Music Radar readers in the list of "the 30 greatest lead singers of all time". He is known for his belting power, versatility and wide tenor vocal range, spanning over four octaves; ability to play almost any musical instrument, including considered one of the top bass guitarists of all time, sure I'll put him up there with anybody ;-)

Hey Steeler, we're not talking about song writing here, but I bet Diamond could match or surpass McCartney in that category.

And McCartney's longevity as a sole rock singer is what counts here, not his overall longevity including time with the Beatles group.

We're also not talking about 'lead' singers either - and the other stats you mentioned don't in any meaningful way compare or surpass the similar rankings that Diamond would get by many other acknowledged top music critics or even the ones you mentioned. especially being one of the to 30 lead singers of all time.

Ability to play any musical instrument, being a top guitarist, versatility, etc. are not part of this rating, which is to name the best single male rock icon of all time as recognized by a world-wide fan base over 50 years.

Let's compare apples to apples.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Like I said good thread and good points. Glad we can keep it civil. I wish other people would chime in with some other candidates, just to see what they are thinking.

Springsteen and Bowie could be two others as both worked solo acts at times in their long career. I could name a half dozen more, but you kind of inferred that "lead singers" were out...........

I like both of our choices before somebody throws the "king of pop" Mr Jackson in here , not thinking key word here; ROCK ;-)
    -Vince Lombardi

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas to You and Yours! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Win or lose, here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Cheers! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    Elton John, or if you prefer more of a rocker, Bob Seager. But I will never argue against Neil Diamond. That guy was just such a class act.

Oh and you guys stay up way to late at night. How do you function the next day? Maybe if you went to bed earlier you could get up earlier with me.
    Last edited by Taurus; 10-09-2018 at 11:21 AM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's a betta for you. - Slaphppy7   For your oscar heimlich rescue :) - BluewaterBoof   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    that is a tough question. if we are talking most iconic that means it would be someone who pretty much everyone would recognize then those already mentioned would fall into that category, everyone knows who Elvis is. most of the ones I would pick may not fall strictly into the "rock" category. I will throw in the name of Chuck Berry.
    Brian

I wish I had a Fish Wish Dish.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

3 Not allowed!
    Neil Diamond and "rock music" don't even belong in the same category, IMO
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers