· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

South Central Maryland- Washington DC Suburbs

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom   For your patience and tenacity! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    So just go and did a test.

image.jpg

Clearly today the tank is not cycled.

PH 7.0-7.2
    Ammonia .25
    Nitrite 0
    Nitrate 0 the 5.0 from the tap water is dissolved from the tank.

What should I do? Add a drop more food or do a water change? I'm thinking of doing a 50% water change and see what happens?
    cycling a 180 Gallon
    Future stocking plans:
    1-stingrays of some kind
    1-Gar of some kind
    10-Mystery Snails

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I test the Nitrate from the tank again and I got a very light shade of orange between 0-5.0. Tested the tap and got 5.0
    cycling a 180 Gallon
    Future stocking plans:
    1-stingrays of some kind
    1-Gar of some kind
    10-Mystery Snails

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    So I did about a 55% water change. Now the Ammonia is .50 and Nitrite is .50 Wanted to do a gravel stir up water change,but for some reason after a 1 1/2 hours I could not get the Aqueon water changer working. First time using it to take water out.
    cycling a 180 Gallon
    Future stocking plans:
    1-stingrays of some kind
    1-Gar of some kind
    10-Mystery Snails

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome back! - Slaphppy7   Celebrating your amazing restoration work! - showmebutterfly   

1 Not allowed!
    I'm not sure what you use the fill the test tubes, but baby medicine syringes work really well for getting exactly 5ml of water in the test tube. I may be biased since I have extras with a 18 month old around the house lol. This may have already been said, but nitrAte bottle #2 is notorious tricky to get a good reading. I usually spend a good part of a couple of minutes banging that bottle on a hard surface to try to get it to thoroughly mixed before I do the test. If you use 100% tap water to fill the tank you shouldn't have a lower nitrate reading in the tank then out of the tap.

Sounds like stirring up the tank with the water change created a spike, which supports people's hypothesis that there is more ammonia being produced in the tank then the BB can handle. At this point since it is hard to tell where the tank is or isn't in the cycle I would do a couple of large water changes trying to clean up the food debree, and I'd even clean out the filter media since there could be a bunch stuck in there. Then I'd switch to using pure ammonia, so you have some consistency. If there is any BB in your tank at all you should cycle pretty quickly even though you are restarting.
    "They had learned to speak, and so had won their first great victory over Time. Now the knowledge of one generation could be handed on to the next, so that each age could profit from those that had gone before." 2001: A Space Odyssey
    Arthur C. Clark

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I was not able to stir it up. I was trying for like 2 hours and could not get the Aqueon water changer to suction up water. I was only able to use it to add water.
    cycling a 180 Gallon
    Future stocking plans:
    1-stingrays of some kind
    1-Gar of some kind
    10-Mystery Snails

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   You will win this battle against the nematodes. - RiversGirl   teacher/friend - marc4   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   

0 Not allowed!
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Supposedly the Aqueon Water changer you hook one side to the sink, the gravel stirer on the other end in the tank. Turn on the sink full blast and open both sides valves and your good to go. Should start suctioning on its own. For me nothing happened.

Called Aqueon and they could not figure it out. Only thing they said is possible is my sink does not have high enough pressure,but I don't think so sink my sink was gushing out water.
    cycling a 180 Gallon
    Future stocking plans:
    1-stingrays of some kind
    1-Gar of some kind
    10-Mystery Snails

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome back! - Slaphppy7   Celebrating your amazing restoration work! - showmebutterfly   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by freshwaterfishlover View Post
    Supposedly the Aqueon Water changer you hook one side to the sink, the gravel stirer on the other end in the tank. Turn on the sink full blast and open both sides valves and your good to go. Should start suctioning on its own. For me nothing happened.

Called Aqueon and they could not figure it out. Only thing they said is possible is my sink does not have high enough pressure,but I don't think so sink my sink was gushing out water.
    Did you still have an aerator attached to the sink? This caused me issues at my old house. This isn't an issue for my python, but I'd also make sure you have the larger portion of the gravel vac side completely summerged to make it easier for the sink to pull the water through the tube. Another thing to look for is any leaks in the system where it could be pulling air through the tube instead of water. Sorry your having issues with it, such a pain when you buy an easy to use system and it doesn't work properly.
    "They had learned to speak, and so had won their first great victory over Time. Now the knowledge of one generation could be handed on to the next, so that each age could profit from those that had gone before." 2001: A Space Odyssey
    Arthur C. Clark

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    I was looking up the aqueon system that you have, and here are some more things you can try(after you make sure there aren't any air leaks). I would play around with both of the ball valves on each end of the hose, and see if you can find a configuration that allows the suction to start. The only thing I wouldn't do is keep them both closed and then turn your water on. The plastic fittings have been known to fail under full water pressure. You might find that having one or both of the valves partially closed will solve the issue.

You may have already tried all of these things, and more, since you mentioned working with it for hours. If not I hope one of these things works! If all else fails aqueon does sell a priming pump that will start your siphon without having to suck on the end.
    Arthur C. Clark

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   You will win this battle against the nematodes. - RiversGirl   teacher/friend - marc4   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by freshwaterfishlover View Post

It should be able to start suction with the tap. I'm not familiar with Aqueon, but I don't use the faucet to drain my tank. I use gravity and drain into a septic hole. Is your tank on a lower level than the faucet?
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat