· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    That's exactly it, diatoms and algae take over when nitrates climb. I really wish I took a before video of the planted tank I just 'let go'. I didn't test nitrate (it was fishless), but the TDS was up 100% of where it usually sits when in operation. I was thinking of the tank when I wrote ugly. It will all balance out once the decaying organic matter is flushed out.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For luck with your son's recovery - Slaphppy7   Healing prayers for Henry - RiversGirl   DIY water chnager, nice job! - Slaphppy7   My heart goes out to you and your little boy.  He is so strong and so are you. - angelcraze2   Healing prayers for little Henry (superman) - Silbar   
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by angelcraze2 View Post
    That's exactly it, diatoms and algae take over when nitrates climb. I really wish I took a before video of the planted tank I just 'let go'. I didn't test nitrate (it was fishless), but the TDS was up 100% of where it usually sits when in operation. I was thinking of the tank when I wrote ugly. It will all balance out once the decaying organic matter is flushed out.
    Ya I'm thinking a few weeks from now after a few water changes not having anymore decaying plant matter and some more good cleanings the nitrates will be back down below 10 and the algea will diminish. Right?
    ~Pray for Henry~

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mspringer View Post
    Ya I'm thinking a few weeks from now after a few water changes not having anymore decaying plant matter and some more good cleanings the nitrates will be back down below 10 and the algea will diminish. Right?
    Exactly! You were right on with flushing it out via more WCs and cleaning. Actually the nitrate may not even register eventually.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

2 Not allowed!
    That, and if you clean your filters on a regular basis

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   

2 Not allowed!
    To clean an Aquaclear motor compartment: Unscrew the motor housing from the plastic filter box. Don't take apart the motor housing itself. Instead, remove the impeller and clean its blades and shaft. Then, take a wet Q-Tip and wipe around the inside walls and bottom of the impeller chamber. A small piece of damp paper towel, folded to a thin point, will achieve the same thing. Keep wiping the inside of the impeller chamber until no more gunk comes out on the Q-Tip or paper towel. Ditto for wiping the impeller blades and shaft. When nothing more appears, they're clean. Re-insert the impeller (which is magnetic) and wet the rubber seal around the top of the motor housing, then screw the motor housing back onto the filter box. You should feel it grip firmly upward as you screw it back on. That's part of the sealing process. Screw it all the way back on until it has returned to its original position.

It may be a little difficult to unscrew the motor housing, at first. That's a good thing, because it means the seal is water-tight and leak-proof. It will come off, with a little gentle effort.
    20 gal. high: planted; 5 white cloud minnows, 4 golden White Clouds, several RCS, 2 blue shrimp, 5 Amano shrimp, several snails; Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 6 rosy barbs, 6 yellow glofish, 3 red glofish, 3 zebra danios, 5 white cloud minnows, 3 dojo loaches, 6 crimson spot rainbow fish, 12 large Amano Shrimp, several snails; AC110.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For luck with your son's recovery - Slaphppy7   Healing prayers for Henry - RiversGirl   DIY water chnager, nice job! - Slaphppy7   My heart goes out to you and your little boy.  He is so strong and so are you. - angelcraze2   Healing prayers for little Henry (superman) - Silbar   
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   

0 Not allowed!
    Today I shut off the filters, cleaned the glass good, cleaned the rocks and plants. Syphoned sand cleaned everything good cleaned the QF10 thoroughly in hot tap water and cleaned all media from both in old tank water. WC was 15 gallons equivalent to around 40%. I will check parameters in a couple of days and see how nitrates and ammonia are doing. I don't have a reason for the amonia to climb at all but I like to check it anyway. My plan is to clean the AC 50 thouroughly in a week or two and get them on a rotation. Took me 2 hours today to do everything with all the extra cleaning.
    Last edited by Mspringer; 10-08-2018 at 09:00 PM.
    ~Pray for Henry~

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    @Slaphppy7 right now i am still running the AC50 and QF10 on the 38 which is about 70 gallons worth of filtration. My intent was to use the QF 30 that I have eventually but right now it's in my QT and it will likely be a long while till I can get it out sanitized and moved over. That being said you think I'm good with the two I have for now or should I get an AC 30 or AC 50 to go with the AC 50 I have?
    ~Pray for Henry~

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Also, all of you. Do any of you run carbon or just sponges and ceramic media? Right now I have a QF as one of my filters so it has old carbon in it but is there a need for carbon at all if not trying to remove meds? Just keep carbon around for if your trying to remove meds and once they are out remove carbon and save for later use?
    ~Pray for Henry~

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I'm partial to the AC's, so I'd always advise adding another, lol...but don't buy more filters if you don't need them, I'd use what you have for now...just consider this, you're a likely candidate for MTS, so an extra filter or two could never hurt

The only other HOB I have (original "kit" filter when I first started, saved as a backup) is a Tetra Whisper, not familiar with the Quiet Flow...they may be the same thing, for all I know...it works fine, but I've never figured out how to remove the motor to clean it...not really found of the impeller assembly being a part of the U-tube, either

Just keep carbon around for if your trying to remove meds and once they are out remove carbon and save for later use?
    Yes, but dispose of (if you ever use it at all) and add fresh (if you ever need to use it again), it's inexpensive...I have bags of it stored that I don't think I'll ever use...it probably has a shelf life, as well