· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

hero to a crayfish - RiversGirl   

Default Cleaning up my old 55-gallon

0 Not allowed!
    Hi everyone. I have had an old 55-gallon long tank on the porch for almost a year. I just "let it go". Nut now I'm cleaning it up, and IF I can get my parents consent, I'll set it up. Here's the things I was hoping to add; I already did research on compatibility and temperature.
    It's going to be a planted tank with sand and a canister filter. Is this okay?

Coolie loach (8)
    Bristlenose plecos; different colors (6 total)
    Red lizard whiptail catfish (3)
    Salt & pepper pygmy cory (6)
    Dwarf cherry shrimp (20+)
    Blue bolt shrimp (20+)
    Blue Brazos Mexican dwarf crayfish (2)
    Dumbo guppies; snow white, blacktail, and red mosaic (trio)

I know that a lot of these fish will eat baby shrimp (or adult shrimp sometimes) but since there is a lot of plant cover and I'll let the shrimps establish before adding fish, I think it'll be okay. What do you think? Will it be overstocked? If not, what other fish should I get that are not impossible to breed and fairly easy to care for? I'm up for a breeding challenge. Thank you!
    It's better to have and not need then to need and not have; this is especially true when you're dealing with fish and you need itch medication.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Also would five hillstream loaches be okay?
    It's better to have and not need then to need and not have; this is especially true when you're dealing with fish and you need itch medication.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

1 Not allowed!
    Hillstreams do not do well in a typical tropical setup. They require cooler temperatures, high oxygen levels, and benefit from fast current.

The only other animal that jumps out at me are the six plecos. I'm not sure how a group that large would do in a 55gal but plecos are something that I haven't kept before so I will defer to the others who have kept them.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - ApistoJoe   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

3 Not allowed!
    Definitely think twice about those plecos. At most I would suggest two. But also think about the different levels in a tank. You seem to have a very heavy stocking on the bottom, very little in the mid or upper regions - only 3 guppies??

For the salt & pepper pygmy cories are you meaning Habrosus? If so, I'm not sure how they will fare with the crayfish. I have no experience with crayfish, but I suspect they would be an issue for both this cory and your shrimp.
    Last edited by SueD; 10-03-2018 at 08:13 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - ApistoJoe   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by SueD View Post
    Definitely think twice about those plecos. At most I would suggest two. But also think about the different levels in a tank. You seem to have a very heavy stocking on the bottom, very little in the mid or upper regions - only 3 guppies??

For the salt & pepper pygmy cories are you meaning Habrosus? If so, I'm not sure how they will fare with the crayfish. I have no experience with crayfish, but I suspect they would be an issue for both this cory and your shrimp.
    Just my opinion, but overall, I don't think this stocking is very well thought out. The whiptail cats can get to over 4", the plecos to 5 or 6", the kuhli loaches to 3-5", all on the bottom with the shrimp and crayfish. Looks more to me like you may just be picking interesting looking fish off a website (I can maybe guess which one) and throwing them together without much planning. Maybe sit back a bit and think about what this bottom heavy load might look like with a nearly empty upper region.

Gods Country, Eastern High Sierras, California

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

To new fish! - Slaphppy7   Second round ;) - Slaphppy7   It's a hot toddy. - Taurus   Here's to the "blue ribbon" tetra! - Slaphppy7   Hope you had a happy birthday! We are both March babies :) - discusluv   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    SueD gave you some very good advice.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Okay; revised stocking list.

Bristlenose plecos (6)
    Whiptail cats (Breeding pair)
    Platies (6)
    Guppies (5)
    Coolie loaches (7)
    Emerald Rasbora (5)
    Blue bolt & cherry shrimp
    Assorted snails (10+)

Does this sound okay? I know I didn't revise it much. Do you know any good mid-dwellers for a pH of 6.8 and a temp of 75 degrees F. ?
    And about the dwarf shrimp and crays; I heard of many people successfully keeping them, and I'll get the shrimp colony established before adding crays.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

1 Not allowed!
    I still think those are way too many plecos for a 55gal tank. @Slaphppy7 @Boundava @angelcraze2 I believe you folks are pleco owners. Care to weight in on Sue’s advice to limit it to just a pair of bristles?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   

4 Not allowed!
    6 in a 55 is way too much. 3 would be pushing it... you would be best with 2 females. They are surprisingly dirty.
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Agree with all above. Stick to two BN plecos for a 55g. It's not just bioload, but if you get a male, they are especially territorial. I've seen them swipe their spikes at eachother, particularly when food is involved. I know I was surprised, and that's my 90g!

It seems like you are attracted to bottom dwelling creatures. I like them as well, but it's much better to figure out which fish you want to keep that occupy different strata levels, like top, middle as well as bottom in each tank. When you add other fish, it limits how many bottom strata fish you can comfortably keep. Honestly the footprint already limits it.

I've never kept coolie loaches, but 7 seems like a lot as well (sorry). @Boundava would they work? Are they schooling?

Anyone know about the whiptails? If you are planning to try breeding them, a species-specific tank would suit better, at least one set up for breeding. I wouldn't have other bottom dwellers with a breeding pair...

Just my

FYI my friend's whiptails did nothing all day but sit in the sand. They look cool tho.