· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

1 Not allowed!
    The kuhli loaches are fine. They don’t get big. More like a plump earthworm. I had six in a 55gal without issues.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   Thanks for the feedback, have a hot dog, LOL - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by BBJ View Post
    Hi everyone. I have had an old 55-gallon long tank on the porch for almost a year. I just "let it go". Nut now I'm cleaning it up, and IF I can get my parents consent, I'll set it up. Here's the things I was hoping to add; I already did research on compatibility and temperature.
    It's going to be a planted tank with sand and a canister filter. Is this okay?

Coolie loach (8)
    Bristlenose plecos; different colors (6 total)
    Red lizard whiptail catfish (3)
    Salt & pepper pygmy cory (6)
    Dwarf cherry shrimp (20+)
    Blue bolt shrimp (20+)
    Blue Brazos Mexican dwarf crayfish (2)
    Dumbo guppies; snow white, blacktail, and red mosaic (trio)

I know that a lot of these fish will eat baby shrimp (or adult shrimp sometimes) but since there is a lot of plant cover and I'll let the shrimps establish before adding fish, I think it'll be okay. What do you think? Will it be overstocked? If not, what other fish should I get that are not impossible to breed and fairly easy to care for? I'm up for a breeding challenge. Thank you!
    Great point, I didn't see the stocking list, just the mention regarding 6 plecos. No to the Hillstream loaches, they would feed on the same thing the shrimp feed on, the plecos feed on and the corys feed on. They also need cooler waters and highly oxygenated running water, a river set up or a strong turbulent current with lots of aeration.

Agree the diversity and numbers of bottom inhabitants are too many. Stick with corys (6 is the minimum, I would bump it to 8 as they are very social little cats) and Kulhli (8 is a good number as they like to be in groups) or whiptail cats (which are plecos) or cory, kuhli and the 2 BN pleco females. If you get a male and female BN -they will always be breeding once they are sexual mature and it will quickly destroy your tank with the sheer numbers of offspring if you do not constantly seek out and destroy the eggs which the male will guard with his life.

Re the crayfish, not sure if the other fish would leave them alone, same with the shrimp. You may want to add these first to your cycled tank. Also the baby guppies may be small enough to become snacks for the crayfish-its their nature to grab at fish. They may also damage the larger guppies as well, if I remember correctly guppies can sleep at the bottom of a tank/or on leaves, making themselves easy prey for the crayfish.
    75 Gourami/Eel tank
    Fish room-Astt tanks;all sizes

75 Gourami Tank

Fish Room

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by BluewaterBoof View Post
    The kuhli loaches are fine. They donít get big. More like a plump earthworm. I had six in a 55gal without issues.
    Oh thanks I thought Boundava had them, they looked bigger in her tank. Nice to know that many is ok in a 55g :)
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   Thanks for the feedback, have a hot dog, LOL - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by BBJ View Post
    Okay; revised stocking list.

Bristlenose plecos (6)
    Whiptail cats (Breeding pair)
    Platies (6)
    Guppies (5)
    Coolie loaches (7)
    Emerald Rasbora (5)
    Blue bolt & cherry shrimp
    Assorted snails (10+)

Does this sound okay? I know I didn't revise it much. Do you know any good mid-dwellers for a pH of 6.8 and a temp of 75 degrees F. ?
    And about the dwarf shrimp and crays; I heard of many people successfully keeping them, and I'll get the shrimp colony established before adding crays.
    Too many plecos as the whiptails are plecos. Stick with 2 BN or the breeding pair (you will regret getting a breeding pair) of whiptails.

The rasbora and guppies should be top and mid-level. Kuhli loaches (once comfortable) will also go up and down the corners of the tank-I would stick to 8.

I would re think the emerald rasbora, they need hard waters with a neutral to 8.0 pH. They are also very small. The kuhli loaches love acidic peat waters-which means the two are not compatible, plecos also prefer more neutral-acidic waters, and you will need driftwood for them as well. If you are looking for nanofish, they the boraras varieties, they prefer similar conditions to Kuhlis

Here is some info on the emeralds:
    https://www.seriouslyfish.com/specie...erythromicron/

On boraras:
    https://www.practicalfishkeeping.co....s-in-miniature
    75 Gourami/Eel tank

75 Gourami Tank

Fish Room

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by angelcraze2 View Post
    Oh thanks I thought Boundava had them, they looked bigger in her tank. Nice to know that many is ok in a 55g :)
    I do, I had 17 kuhlis in the 75, they are now in the tub with my gouramis. The big ones were my golden Dojo loaches, which prefer colder waters and are now with my goldfish in the 75. They can get up to 14", though normally 8"-11" long and about 1.5"-2" thick in captivity and only for the females (the monsters ). Males usually stay lean and lanky at about 6"

Here is their original coloration, they are invasive in many states-and considered good eats in Asia;
    https://www.michigan.gov/invasives/0...8451--,00.html
    75 Gourami/Eel tank

75 Gourami Tank

Fish Room

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Oh thank you! I thought the dojos were albino kullis
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    BIG albino kuhlis,
    75 Gourami/Eel tank

75 Gourami Tank

Fish Room

DebinWhitmore