· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Gods Country, Eastern High Sierras, California

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Second round ;) - Slaphppy7   It's a hot toddy. - Taurus   Here's to the "blue ribbon" tetra! - Slaphppy7   Hope you had a happy birthday! We are both March babies :) - discusluv   Good to hear from you again! - Slaphppy7   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   

Default The TRUTH Why Modern Music Is Awful

2 Not allowed!
    What do you guys think of this?

Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

4 Not allowed!
    What a load of garbage. I can’t stand pop music but that doesn’t mean there aren’t millions of songs out there encompassing dozens and dozens of genres from every culture around the world that aren’t filled with complexity and brilliance.

Sure, there is a lot of trashy music coming out, but there was crap music back in the days of the Beatles, as well. A lot of people even feel that the Beatles are lame and only rose to so much fame because they were just the least lame of all the other bands in their era. Younger generations aren’t necessarily lining up by the millions to buy Beatles merchandise and songs nowadays.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome back! - Slaphppy7   Celebrating your amazing restoration work! - showmebutterfly   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    We have a lot more options now then people did back then for what to listen too. I love the music from the Beatles time period but I've also gotten chills listening to something that just came out this year. Even some songs on pop radio I have become fond of. Usually not my go to music, but I'm glad there are so many different styles. Be it a raw song by Bob Dylan who I love, or "make it bun dem" by Skrillex which I love that song too lol.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the laugh! - BluewaterBoof   Congratulations on the return! - AmazonJoe   Thank you for your inside and suggestions - Silbar   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   You need one more for the 17ft tank lol - BluewaterBoof   

4 Not allowed!
    Quite a bold statement. This guy obviously haven't heard music from other countries and other languages and my assumption is his so called research is quite limited in scale and scope. You can't claim a statement like that if you haven't even heard a broad variety of music from all across the world. It's like a person living in N. Korea who doesn't know any better and only knows what he knows when there is a whole world out there. Same with literature, it'll be great if creative writing in the US can bring in foreign works from Asia or the Middle East, etc. Even though some meaning are lost through translation, you can still appreciate the styles and different ways people express themselves in their words. Through various period during history, different regions of the world experienced a golden age where art, music, etc. flourished. The history of modern/postmodern music is hard to sum up in just a century's time frame, so to make a blanket statement like that is quite uneducated.

While it's true I dislike most songs that are "top" songs or popular these days, it doesn't mean that they are all awful. There are obvious genres that I completely dislike (rap the most), but it's a matter of personal taste. We grew up with different music and we're more in tune with the older songs from our generation or that of our parents. Some aren't even good songs, but I may just find the MV and story comical.
    Think with logic and rationality more than emotion. Act with moderation and consideration. Contemplate ideals and realistic goals and weigh out possibilities and options. Temper not with personal delusions or false hope but learn to accept and move on.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's a betta for you. - Slaphppy7   For your oscar heimlich rescue :) - BluewaterBoof   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

4 Not allowed!
    I can somewhat agree. as most of the new music I hear does not enlighten or inspire me. however i am a fan of many genre of music. it used to be for me that if it was not metal you could just go home. now on any given day you may find me listening to classic rock, metal, old country (I have a hard time with alot of new stuff but thats just me). Blues, Rockabilly, and classical (my 11 year old has really perked my interest here). there is much to offer in international and ethnic music also. of course we all have our own tastes and opinions but it seems that there is a lot of emphasis nowadays on over processed electronic music and not as much on talent. I am just thankful that there is still plenty of music out there to enjoy, at least as long as i can still hear.
    Brian

I wish I had a Fish Wish Dish.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   

3 Not allowed!
    I have difficulty even understanding what this guy is talking about.

Once upon a time, long ago, songs came out whose lyrics I could hear and understand above the music, with melodies and harmonies that were appealing and still creative (no, it's not contradictory), that gave rich life to the lyrics which themselves were real poetry, and I could actually relate to the humanness conveyed through both.

This is called soul, which the older, more traditional country/western music had lots of before it crossed over and became so commercialized. I was a C & W fan for a very long time. Of all the soul artists, Johnny Cash was the most down-to-earth, black coffee soul singer of them all. There wasn't a single song of his that I couldn't relate to on a totally human level. I loved the simplicity, which came through unadulterated in that deep booming voice. When Johnny Cash sang, you knew what he was singing about. You didn't have to try to figure it out.

There are pieces of music in every genre that move us on some level. I really enjoy the Strauss Viennese waltzes. They get inside my body and move me physically as well as being beautiful to listen to while sitting still. I once threw out my lower back muscles swaying, dipping and twirling to Strauss. They are waltzes, after all, and meant to be danced to. And I enjoy the rousing Radetzki March as much as I enjoy the Beer Barrel Polka (not by Strauss, but still very exciting) The German in me responds spontaneously to those.

Some classical and New Age pieces speak to me spiritually, and don't need words to do so. Spirituality is very much a part of being human, and one of many facets of our being. Some of these instrumentals are almost other-worldly and carry me into a sense of the beyond.

The raw carnality and mindless repetition of such song lyrics as, "Bad, bad, bad, bad, bad, bad", etc., over and over again, and music which is more noise than anything and drowns out any semblance of lyrics seems to have permeated so much of our culture today, that it's hard to find anything that is movingly expressive or communicates something worth listening to. Punk rock and heavy metal are two examples of just noise on top of noise, perhaps intended to drown out obscene lyrics that repeat the F-word too many times to count.

Then again, one could argue that Mozart was repetitive in his melodies, but at least they were easy to listen to and even enjoyable.

It's really all a matter of personal taste, and comes right down, again, to what moves you and speaks to you. That's a simple concept, and my two-cents worth. Start explaining it in complicated technical terms, and I'm long lost and gone.
    20 gal. high: planted; 5 white cloud minnows, 4 golden White Clouds, several RCS, 2 blue shrimp, 5 Amano shrimp, several snails; Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 6 rosy barbs, 6 yellow glofish, 3 red glofish, 3 zebra danios, 5 white cloud minnows, 3 dojo loaches, 6 crimson spot rainbow fish, 12 large Amano Shrimp, several snails; AC110.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas to You and Yours! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Win or lose, here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Cheers! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by steeler58 View Post
    What do you guys think of this?
    All I heard was blah, blah blah .... I'd rather listen to this:

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on 3,000, have an oyster! (?) - Slaphppy7   For giving your daughter a tank, scaping rights included! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to all of you! - Boundava   sorry to hear about your knee. since you dont drink herea a slice - bpete   

2 Not allowed!
    I agree and disagree. I get what he's saying about the homogenization of pop music. (And yeah, guys, he did say he was talking about American pop music, not international music or all the other many genres out there) I think it is getting worse, but I'm not sure it is a new thing.

First of all, comparing today's music to the Beetles and Led Zep and Bob Dylan is a bit unfair, IMO. The latter two weren't really "pop" in the sense that most people define it. Besides, the 60s was a time of such huge social ferment, optimism, and terror that it spawned a lot of creative music from people who really just didn't care that much about getting rich. They just wanted to have their say. I think went for music producers and writers as well as performers. People were not only willing to take risks; they needed to. Society sort of required it.

When I was growing up in the 80s, there was "pop" music. Pretty much all of the Pop music sounded the same--same instruments, same harmonies, same subject matter, with only subtle differences. You had poppy dance songs, whiney slow-dance songs, and "We're all gonna die" socially conscious songs. (80s pop was spearheaded by Michael Jackson, who did have a unique sound and was a true genius IMO...but even he spawned a whole generation of safe copycats, including the various "Boy Bands") Then there was metal. Same thing. And rap. Same thing. European techno pop? Yep, they all used the same sounds and sang about the same stuff.

Honestly, a lot of the true innovators of my youth were in the genre of "Christian Rock." They were so outside the mainstream, I think, that they were somewhat free to do their own thing, with some really cool (as well as some really cringe-worthy) results. Alas, that is no longer the case. More about that in a moment.

So it is today. The guy makes a valid point about homogenization. I notice it, and I don't think it's just because I'm getting old. The pop genre is a one-trick pony. The alt folk/rock scene showed some promise for true originality. Mumford and Sons has some original timbre and lyrical stuff happening, but even that has homogenized--the Lumineers, Mumford and Sons, et al are all going pretty much the same direction musically. I think that's just the nature of genres.

I think the homogenization has gotten a lot worse with the rise of downloads and streaming. I ask Pandora or Alexa to play "Pop Music" or "Irish traditional music" or "Classical music," and they do my bidding. But what about bands that defy genre? If you're outside the box, you don't get heard. If Led Zep or David Bowie had come into being in the 2010s, I don't think the larger audience would know they exist. Today's music industry really does reward uniformity and discourage creative risk taking. It has always been that way somewhat, but I think it's getting more that way.

Nowhere is this more evident than the "Contemporary Christian Music" scene. I love God, and I love music, so why is it that I can barely stand to listen to this stuff? What did the guy in the video say? "...designed to sell, not to inspire." Exactly. It is painfully obvious these folks aren't singing because they need to say something about their spiritual journeys or their experience with the love of God or the beauty of redemption or any of that. It's all about the cha-ching factor. Pretty much all the big christian bands are clones of mainstream bands. I can usually tell right away which pop star they're trying to sound like. Lyrics are insipid, formulaic, and unoriginal to the point of seeming dishonest.

One can still find unique and creative stuff, as Spardas and Boof pointed out, but it takes more work, and the vast majority just aren't going to go to the trouble.

That's one music teacher/composer/occasional recording artist/grouchy old man's opinion.
    Last edited by WhistlingBadger; 10-03-2018 at 04:24 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    Blah, blah blah is right! And a load of garbage!
    But if we are only talking about western civilization pop music, maybe.....

I'm proud that my mother never bought into the hype of the Beatles, it turned her off that all the girls were crazy about them hahaha.

If you want complexity and full sound, for modern music, it's out there. Just look at all the ppl there at the waken festival 2012 in Germany.

This album was performed with the Orchestra it was recorded with. How much would I have loved to see that!
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 10-03-2018 at 04:39 PM.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    I just looked at the thumnails for the 1st vid and the one I posted lol. Two naked (very nearly) woman against a scary looking metalhead hahaha!

Seems they need sex appeal to sell records
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat