· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No arowanas or bichirs in the shop, so have a gourami instead - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Congratulations on winning POTM! - BluewaterBoof   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nautilus291 View Post

What do you think I should do? Is it too risky for the fish to do the wait and see method?
    That's really up to you. If you have someone home most of the day, I would personally wait and see for a few days with periodic checking every few hours. Did it sound like an electrical issue or what would you describe the zapping as?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome back! - Slaphppy7   Celebrating your amazing restoration work! - showmebutterfly   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by datfish View Post
    That's really up to you. If you have someone home most of the day, I would personally wait and see for a few days with periodic checking every few hours. Did it sound like an electrical issue or what would you describe the zapping as?
    Hard to tell with the video she sent me. At first I thought electrical, but it could have been a clicking noise also.

Bad news is my wife just told me it happened again. I put the spare heater in the tank this morning before work, so she switched which one is plugged in and I'm going to see if I can get a video of it tonight.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No arowanas or bichirs in the shop, so have a gourami instead - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Congratulations on winning POTM! - BluewaterBoof   

0 Not allowed!
    Hard to tell with the video she sent me. At first I thought electrical, but it could have been a clicking noise also.

Bad news is my wife just told me it happened again. I put the spare heater in the tank this morning before work, so she switched which one is plugged in and I'm going to see if I can get a video of it tonight.
    I did some digging online and found that the heater isn't water proof, so you may want to investigate if you could've gotten it wet at some point. A few people had to let it dry out for a few weeks and then they worked again. http://www.fishforums.net/threads/hy...making.411790/ this forum thread seems to offer a potential solution as well.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome back! - Slaphppy7   Celebrating your amazing restoration work! - showmebutterfly   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by datfish View Post
    I did some digging online and found that the heater isn't water proof, so you may want to investigate if you could've gotten it wet at some point. A few people had to let it dry out for a few weeks and then they worked again. http://www.fishforums.net/threads/hy...making.411790/ this forum thread seems to offer a potential solution as well.
    Thanks for the link. I don't remember any smoking gun incidents, but that doesn't mean I didn't get it wet some how. This may be a good opportunity to add a shutoff valve above the heater. I didn't think about it when installing, and now if I ever want to clean the heater my filter drain can start back feeding water.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the link. I don't remember any smoking gun incidents, but that doesn't mean I didn't get it wet some how. This may be a good opportunity to add a shutoff valve above the heater. I didn't think about it when installing, and now if I ever want to clean the heater my filter drain can start back feeding water.
    I'd definitely add that valve. If you have some spare money at the moment, could be a good opportunity to add an in-line UV sterilizer too for that clarity and easy disease control.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    I doubt a Hydor that new could be dirty this quick, but it's possible, I suppose

I only need to clean mine every 3 months, when the canister filter is due, and not much comes out of it...but every tank is different

Instead of buying/installing a valve, just the right length of extra tubing would work just as well for running the filter
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    I doubt a Hydor that new could be dirty this quick, but it's possible, I suppose

I only need to clean mine every 3 months, when the canister filter is due, and not much comes out of it...but every tank is different

Instead of buying/installing a valve, just the right length of extra tubing would work just as well for running the filter
    Ya, I feel the same way, but it's worth a shot. I have it turned on right now trying to see if it happens for me :| nothing for a half hour so far.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Is it maintaining temp?

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    Is it maintaining temp?
    Seems to be, hard to tell because the house temperature is so close.

I cranked the thermostat up and it started acting up. Here's a video. It seems to me like the thermostat is broken,. What are your thoughts?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    That is not normal behavior IME, get it unplugged and returned