· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome back! - Slaphppy7   Celebrating your amazing restoration work! - showmebutterfly   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by BBJ View Post
    So your using miracle-gro for a dirted tank?
    I was going to use their organic mix for the soil, but couldn't find any in the stores I went to. Went with another brand(I can't remember the name now) but now I'm not sure what to think of it. It very well may be fine, but the information out there about what is and isn't ok for soil is pretty mixed. Consensus online is that the miracle grow organic mix is safe so I found the ingredients in and and I'm going to see if they match when I get home.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome back! - Slaphppy7   Celebrating your amazing restoration work! - showmebutterfly   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Hey @angelcraze2 did you put any additives to your soil to begin with in your 90g? I was reading through your journal and couldn't find any posts about it. I saw some people online put a thin layer of dolomite on the bottom to help with soil pH, and then mix clay, osmocote or other additives in the soil.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Nope, just the soil in the beginning. Now I'm adding root tabs though. I can't find MGOPS anymore either. Now I'm using PR MIX (found at Walmart and Rona) organic soil. It actually has less tree bark pieces than the MG had. I say as long as it's organic.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's a betta for you. - Slaphppy7   For your oscar heimlich rescue :) - BluewaterBoof   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    I will be following this to see it turns out. after all of the reading up on this method it is starting to make sense. thanks for posting and thank you Angel for all the great info also.
    Brian

I wish I had a Fish Wish Dish.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Don't know what I said, but NP! Always love to help out!

Btw Nautilus, I spread the dirt out first, then moisten by adding a bit of water slowly (some use a misting bottle) so that the earth is evenly moist but not so wet that water is not absorbed. Then I add a 1-1.5 inch layer of substrate on top to cap it. I add water slowly on top of the substrate using a plate or something to break the fall of the water because it can easily send your cap flying and release all the dirt with it. I plant the tank up so that every inch has plants using up the dirt nutrients. Like deeper piles for heavy rooting plants and only sand for beachy areas. Sometimes I plant with about 2 inches of water than fill up, but i'm pretty good at planting with tweezers now.

I did mineralize one of the dirted tanks, but I didn't notice anything different. The idea is to prevent the big Boom of plant growth in the beginning and lengthen the amount of time it holds it's initial nutrients, but I didn't notice anything.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by angelcraze2 View Post
    Nope, just the soil in the beginning. Now I'm adding root tabs though. I can't find MGOPS anymore either. Now I'm using PR MIX (found at Walmart and Rona) organic soil. It actually has less tree bark pieces than the MG had. I say as long as it's organic.
    Ok thanks! Now that you have had dirted tanks do you think there would be any benefit to adding additives to the soil?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by angelcraze2 View Post
    Don't know what I said, but NP! Always love to help out!

Btw Nautilus, I spread the dirt out first, then moisten by adding a bit of water slowly (some use a misting bottle) so that the earth is evenly moist but not so wet that water is not absorbed. Then I add a 1-1.5 inch layer of substrate on top to cap it. I add water slowly on top of the substrate using a plate or something to break the fall of the water because it can easily send your cap flying and release all the dirt with it. I plant the tank up so that every inch has plants using up the dirt nutrients. Like deeper piles for heavy rooting plants and only sand for beachy areas. Sometimes I plant with about 2 inches of water than fill up, but i'm pretty good at planting with tweezers now.

I did mineralize one of the dirted tanks, but I didn't notice anything different. The idea is to prevent the big Boom of plant growth in the beginning and lengthen the amount of time it holds it's initial nutrients, but I didn't notice anything.
    Just read this post, thanks for the additional information! I think I'll skip the mineralizing as I was debating doing it in the first place!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

2 Not allowed!
    I didn't have many options at my local stores for dirt. This is what I ended up using. As Kat said, as long as it says organic you should be fine. Stay away from anything that mentions added fertilizers or moisture-retaining.

ecoscraps-garden-soil-garden-tower-project-home-design-ideas-pictures.jpg

I'm pretty sure I picked it up from Home Depot and it was very cheap.

I'd like to second what Kat said about wetting the dirt before you cap it. I capped it without thinking about that and didn't realize how water-resistant it would be once I filled up the tank. It was like there was an invisible barrier between my cap and the dirt layer. You could see from looking at the side glass that the water was not penetrating down into the dirt. I had to take a skewer and repeatedly stab the substrate in an attempt to get the water to make its way down through everything.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by BluewaterBoof View Post
    I didn't have many options at my local stores for dirt. This is what I ended up using. As Kat said, as long as it says organic you should be fine. Stay away from anything that mentions added fertilizers or moisture-retaining.

I'm pretty sure I picked it up from Home Depot and it was very cheap.

I'd like to second what Kat said about wetting the dirt before you cap it. I capped it without thinking about that and didn't realize how water-resistant it would be once I filled up the tank. It was like there was an invisible barrier between my cap and the dirt layer. You could see from looking at the side glass that the water was not penetrating down into the dirt. I had to take a skewer and repeatedly stab the substrate in an attempt to get the water to make its way down through everything.
    That sounds like a pain! I'll make sure I get it.

What do you think of that quote I posted about sailing the tank once a day? I know you mentioned doing it once a week or so.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nautilus291 View Post
    Ok thanks! Now that you have had dirted tanks do you think there would be any benefit to adding additives to the soil?
    My personal opinion is that additional ferts are not needed until the dirt nutrients are used up (about 6-24 months). The dirt has a high CEC, so the fert tab helps to re-fertilize the soil.
    -Kat