· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome back! - Slaphppy7   Celebrating your amazing restoration work! - showmebutterfly   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

Default Does anubias grow from both ends?

0 Not allowed!
    I have an anubias that has a rhizome that is roughly 3 inches (75mm) long. It seems to only produce new growth from one side of the rhizome. It got me wondering if this is how it grows? The "old" side of the plant only has two leaves on it, and the severum must have been mad that they were covering his cave and took some bites out of them. If this side is never going to grow new growth I thought about cutting the rhizome in half and seeing if I could get it to grow from the fresh cut. Any thoughts?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

2 Not allowed!
    Mine tend to just grow in one direction, but I have heard from many others that if you make small cuts (about halfway through the rhizome) new growth will start coming out of the cuts. I'm not sure if this applies to completely cutting through the rhizome, though.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome back! - Slaphppy7   Celebrating your amazing restoration work! - showmebutterfly   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by BluewaterBoof View Post
    Mine tend to just grow in one direction, but I have heard from many others that if you make small cuts (about halfway through the rhizome) new growth will start coming out of the cuts. I'm not sure if this applies to completely cutting through the rhizome, though.
    I could try that instead. I would just like to have growth on both sides since the rhizome is so long.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

1 Not allowed!
    Oh it’ll keep growing as long as you have it haha

A dark photo, but you can see how one of my anubias is over a foot long and no signs of stopping. Just keeps stretching out even with nothing underneath to support it lol Maybe seven or so inches are circled, but it actually goes all the way to the right edge of the photo, where it was originally attached to a piece of driftwood that has been swallowed up by all the plants.

5F39EB0C-3C6C-497C-BCE6-CDCBDCB6585C.jpg

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by BluewaterBoof View Post
    Oh it’ll keep growing as long as you have it haha

A dark photo, but you can see how one of my anubias is over a foot long and no signs of stopping. Just keeps stretching out even with nothing underneath to support it lol Maybe seven or so inches are circled, but it actually goes all the way to the right edge of the photo, where it was originally attached to a piece of driftwood that has been swallowed up by all the plants.

5F39EB0C-3C6C-497C-BCE6-CDCBDCB6585C.jpg
    That's pretty cool looking! I like how compact the leaves are growing on that. Thanks for the picture.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    Java fern is the same way, seems to grow from one end for me as well

I just threw away another big piece, maybe a foot long, from my 40B...cleared up some room in the back of the tank
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    Java fern is the same way, seems to grow from one end for me as well

I just threw away another big piece, maybe a foot long, from my 40B...cleared up some room in the back of the tank
    Wow that's a lot of Java Fern! I can't get mine to grow at all.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    The tank they came from was my 40B, it has pretty much an out-of-control jungle, the JF had to compete with crypts and vals, so the big pieces I've removed only had leaves spread out along the rhizome where they could pop up amongst the other stuff

I'll see if I can find a recent pic

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Here's a piece I pulled and tossed 3 weeks ago...can you tell from which end the original piece of rhizome is, and which end the new growth was happening?.....hint: the original end became engulfed in other plants, limiting the light that reached it, while the new growth end found lighting unobscured

Java Fern.jpg

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    How long did it take to grow that big? And I'm going to say the right side is the old growth lol